Microsoft Drops $1.1B for Iowa Data Center

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft will be investing over one Billion dollars over the next the next 5 years for a 154 acre tract of land in Iowa to build a new mega data center for Microsoft’s Azure Cloud.

The company has been gradually improving the feature set and lowering prices of its Azure public cloud service. Such moves could attract more customers.

I do not understand why data centers are built in area's that can be easily effected by Natural disasters each and every year.

I do not understand why data centers are built in area's that can be easily effected by Natural disasters each and every year.

If you're talking about tornados they've been building data centers that can withstand those. Benefit of being in the middle of nowhere is low cost of land, electricity, labor and tax but sucks if you're the employee.

If you're talking about tornados they've been building data centers that can withstand those. Benefit of being in the middle of nowhere is low cost of land, electricity, labor and tax but sucks if you're the employee.

It's going to be built in Des Moines. There's lots to do there. There's even a pretty sizable theme park there.

It's a great place to build it. People there won't be vandalizing a Microsoft bus.

so lets see, Google data center, facebook data center, godaddy hq (>30% of registered domains are with godaddy) and now MS is planning a data center in Iowa.

ps, a lot of that corn goes to feeding pigs, so anytime anyone makes fun of Iowa for corn, that really means that they hate bacon. can you trust bacon haters???

You didn't quantify how much of that corn goes into bacon making and I doubt the Iowa corn crop can account for greater than 50% pork production.

I want some pork belly now...

so lets see, Google data center, facebook data center, godaddy hq (>30% of registered domains are with godaddy) and now MS is planning a data center in Iowa.

ps, a lot of that corn goes to feeding pigs, so anytime anyone makes fun of Iowa for corn, that really means that they hate bacon. can you trust bacon haters???

How dare you stupid Iowans take that Google data center away from us! :p

You didn't quantify how much of that corn goes into bacon making and I doubt the Iowa corn crop can account for greater than 50% pork production.

I want some pork belly now...

well a lot of corn grown is for pigs and cows, and i found a stat that iowa pork accounts for 28% of the US' pork production + there is more that is exported to other countries. that is a lot of bacon.

There is a lot of things beyond just natural disasters that can cause a datacenter to go offline. If you are trying to build a reliable service, it is better to build multiple data centers for redundancy than have one that you try to keep 100% uptime on.

well a lot of corn grown is for pigs and cows, and i found a stat that iowa pork accounts for 28% of the US' pork production + there is more that is exported to other countries. that is a lot of bacon.

Iowa is a damn national treasure!

There is a lot of things beyond just natural disasters that can cause a datacenter to go offline. If you are trying to build a reliable service, it is better to build multiple data centers for redundancy than have one that you try to keep 100% uptime on.

I understand but between tornado's and blizzards it would seem like a better idea to build it in a more friendly area that does not have any of these. And then build your back ups in the same type of area. And just because the building is tornado proof does not mean employees can show up to work, or that there will be power or water for the building. I know it has its own backup generators I am sure but still.

Personally I always wondered why you could never find truly central servers. Maybe this will help get the routing and so on improved to Desmoines, St Louis, Omaha etc... And maybe one of them will be able to produce good fair central ping for game servers.

I always found it obnoxious that everyone would ping better to Chicago servers then they would more "central" servers.

I understand but between tornado's and blizzards it would seem like a better idea to build it in a more friendly area that does not have any of these. And then build your back ups in the same type of area. And just because the building is tornado proof does not mean employees can show up to work, or that there will be power or water for the building. I know it has its own backup generators I am sure but still.
Between tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, and winter storms, there isn't many places left that also have sufficient cheap electricity and major fiber back-haul connections for a large datacenter.

I do not understand why people ignorantly assume Midwest = tornados.

You have no clue what the Fuck you're talking about. Not at all. It's not Atlanta, when it snows we still go to work.

We don't have tornado problems in des Moines not do we shut down in a blizzard.

Back