• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Microsoft COO: Vista More Secure than XP, Leopard, Linux

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
2FA
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
4,646
Kevin Turner, chief operating officer at Microsoft, gave a keynote address and told attendees at the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference that Vista “is more secure today than Apple Leopard, or XP, or Linux, or open source.” Ars Technica takes exception to this statement and explains why in this article. Good ol’ MS, fanning the OS war flames.

Yes, Vista does have fewer vulnerabilities than XP, and it does not surprise me that Mac OS X and Linux have more than either. However, security should not simply be measured in the number of vulnerabilities found in a given piece of software.
 
crackers refuse to support it because they are waiting for windows7?
 
screw all you vista haters. i recently switched from xp to vista and theres no way im going back. vista runs just as fast (and no its not because it was a fresh install, my xp install was less than a month old), games just as fast, and is a pleasure to look at. i doubt its securer than linux and stuff, but its still pretty darn secure
 
Vista is definitely probably more secure than all of them. I love the speed boost Vista brings to the table over XP. I love how retarded people are on the internet.
 
screw all you vista haters. i recently switched from xp to vista and theres no way im going back. vista runs just as fast (and no its not because it was a fresh install, my xp install was less than a month old), games just as fast, and is a pleasure to look at. i doubt its securer than linux and stuff, but its still pretty darn secure

don't take the bait. eeyrjmr trashes Vista every chance he gets.
 
Microsoft COO says Vista is more secure than competitors. Film at 11.
 
Actually, less safe would be the mac folks running OSX without anti-virus and firewalls because they say mac is so invincible. I'll be laughing as the marketshare keeps going up and they start catching colds. :p
 
cause noone uses it ;)

Cause computer noobs have trouble with change.

it is still booting

Vista boots faster than XP for me. Guess the noobs don't know how to install an OS correctly.

there exist no drivers for the networking hardware

What? Vista networking works way better than XP networking for me. Not to mention, even the beta versions of Vista a couple years ago installed my networking drivers automatically on both of my computers. I guess this brings us back to the fact that noobs don't know how to install an OS correctly.
 
It's funny how the news has gone from "Vista is teh new ME!!!!!111" to "Vista is actually a really good OS" in the past month or so.

It's good to see. I really like Vista.
 
It's funny how the news has gone from "Vista is teh new ME!!!!!111" to "Vista is actually a really good OS" in the past month or so.

It's good to see. I really like Vista.
+1. Same here. I have been using Vista since beta and love it. So much so that I have it on 3 systems at home doing 3 different jobs (see sig).
 
I think anything's going to have a hard time getting past UAC. More secure than Linux? I don't know about that. But Vista is a very secure OS, more so than XP and OS X.
 
VISTA is the biggest screw up MS ever did.
Office 2007 is a piece of sheat
These two are making me to consider switching to something else. May be I will go for mac + open office.
Too bad I am a .NET programmer and actually need Windows for work.
 
I think anything's going to have a hard time getting past UAC. More secure than Linux? I don't know about that. But Vista is a very secure OS, more so than XP and OS X.

Remember rootkits cannot be installed period on Vista if UAC is enabled, that has been proven.
 
VISTA is the biggest screw up MS ever did.
Office 2007 is a piece of sheat
These two are making me to consider switching to something else. May be I will go for mac + open office.
Too bad I am a .NET programmer and actually need Windows for work.

Maybe you should stay off the drugs, I had so many problems using Office 2003, I have no idea what would happen if MS hadn't introduced the ribbons in 07.

Also Vista has more market share than XP did in its first year, I hardly call that a loss. In fact, I have never had a BSOD while running Vista on my machine, and I have had it running the same installation since the day I got Vista Ultimate. :eek:

XP BSOD nearly once every few months, WTF? :mad:

Vista for the win. :) (For me at least, in the corporate world different story.)
 
Maybe you should stay off the drugs, I had so many problems using Office 2003, I have no idea what would happen if MS hadn't introduced the ribbons in 07.

Also Vista has more market share than XP did in its first year, I hardly call that a loss. In fact, I have never had a BSOD while running Vista on my machine, and I have had it running the same installation since the day I got Vista Ultimate. :eek:

XP BSOD nearly once every few months, WTF? :mad:

Vista for the win. :) (For me at least, in the corporate world different story.)

Actually I run Windows Server 2008 which is a form of VISTA.
VISTA is for amateurs, so I won't enter into a discussion.
 
Actually I run Windows Server 2008 which is a form of VISTA.
VISTA is for amateurs, so I won't enter into a discussion.

lol wow please do us all a favor and take your elitist attitude out of this thread. I assure you, you'll be missed though with you're enlightening tidbits.
 
yo dawg this dude is elite. His mommy bought him a 'puter for christmas.

elite.jpg


rofl, seriously. Go overdose. :p
 
Actually I run Windows Server 2008 which is a form of VISTA.
VISTA is for amateurs, so I won't enter into a discussion.

I don't know what's more sad: the fact that you don't seem to be aware that Vista and Server 2008 is essentially the same thing under the hood, or that you spend $800 for your ignorance.
 
Never used Vista before until my new rig came together last week. Using Vista 64 Ultimate. Took some getting used to, but I like it.
 
lol wow please do us all a favor and take your elitist attitude out of this thread. I assure you, you'll be missed though with you're enlightening tidbits.

yo dawg this dude is elite. His mommy bought him a 'puter for christmas.
...
rofl, seriously. Go overdose. :p

I don't know what's more sad: the fact that you don't seem to be aware that Vista and Server 2008 is essentially the same thing under the hood, or that you spend $800 for your ignorance.

http://blip.tv/file/340692/

THIS^^^
 
Rhetorical question:

What is the ratio of news threads that turn into garbage versus those that yield decent discussion?
 
I like Vista over XP. I have had 1 BSOD on Vista and it was caused by a driver for a tv card and not the OS.
 
vista is good and the only people who bash it are noobs regurgitating hearsay for geek points
 
VISTA is the biggest screw up MS ever did.
Office 2007 is a piece of sheat
These two are making me to consider switching to something else. May be I will go for mac + open office.
Too bad I am a .NET programmer and actually need Windows for work.

You're in the minority on Office 2007. I think you're the 2nd person I've seen write that they preferred earlier versions. I use 2003 at work and 2007 at home. I prefer 2007 by a wide margin.
 
Actually I run Windows Server 2008 which is a form of VISTA.
VISTA is for amateurs, so I won't enter into a discussion.

Yes, and the unix guys say Windows server is for people who can't grasp theory.

Seriously, who do you think is using most copies of Vista and XP? It's not programmers and networking professionals.

My god, most users don't need half the functionality that's available on any version of vista (with the possible exception of Basic). Virtually none need the added functionality of Server 2008.
 

If you believe any of the crap in the video, you're a complete newb. Messenger? It's not on my machine, though I can go download it. Removed AV software? Last time I checked, XP didn't come with AV software. I certainly can install it on vista (x32 and x64).


One has to wonder if maybe you're just pissed that you have to rewrite some old code so that it at least follows the XP coding specs.

I could understand the Office 2007 making life crappy for a programmer, but nobody is forcing your company to switch to 2007. If 2003 is the bees knees (after whatever code you've written), then stick with it.
 
cause noone uses it ;)
it is still booting
there exist no drivers for the networking hardware
What a jackass...

don't take the bait. eeyrjmr trashes Vista every chance he gets.
QFT. I'd block the jackass but it's almost amusing ;)

Microsoft COO says Vista is more secure than competitors. Film at 11.
Same thing I thought... What else do you expect? "Steve Jobs says Vista more secure than OS X or Linux"????

Remember rootkits cannot be installed period on Vista if UAC is enabled, that has been proven.
Not "PROVEN"...
Just, so far, nobody has done it or found a way to bypass UAC. And FWIW, after over 2 years... doubt anyone ever will.

Also Vista has more market share than XP did in its first year, I hardly call that a loss.
Hell, it actually sold at DOUBLE the rate as well.


I'd agree Vista is the most secure. It's the end-user that's that moron, because with UAC you're machine is bullet-proof.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39291625,00.htm
Debate that any way you want: Windows had less security issues (alebit- more critical ones) than either OS X or Linux in 2007, AND PATCHED THEM FASTER.

In case anyone missed the keyword there: 2007...... This is both XP and Vista COMBINED. Naturally, Vista is ages more secure than XP... I wish they would've broken it down into XP and Vista instead of a lump.
 
vista is good and the only people who bash it are noobs regurgitating hearsay for geek points

Not true. People running old hardware, or anyone who uses Intel's IGS, hates it. Another group that often dislikes it are those that quit using it before the super fetch cache is built dislike it. Finally, gamers that tried it in the early days but no anytime recently could certainly find reasons to hate it. I still recall EQ losing 30 FPS or more, and that wasn't exactly a strenuous game for my GPU.

Nevertheless, I think anyone that buys knew hardware should probably just run vista. even if it runs slightly slower, in day to day use, it's just not noticable, and I'm running on an e4300, so it's not like it's the fast chip on the block (though it's not a dog by any stretch). I also ran it on an A64 3000+ with an ATI X800 and it ran fine. Even when I was down to 512mb it was ok, though I wasn't running anything tough, since I'd just lost my HD....and sold 2GB of ram (because it was worth almsot 2x what I paid for it).
 
Extremely amusing. Especially the Windows Ce Me NT, and the lady at the end.
Though there are no facts in it at all, amusing none the less.

AT this point, I find very few reasons not to go to Vista for most people. Compatibility is getting pretty damn good, and if you have a printer that is not compatible, it probably costs more to buy ink than it would to get a new printer that comes with ink. Same with most hardware.
Second, as cheap as computers are any more (Windows based systems at least), the fact that most of your needed hardware comes with the system anyway, it's a good time to upgrade.

I sell computers, and I have had VERY few people come back and tell me anything other than they like it a lot. Some people are rather ambivalent, but most people like it, and I think I have only had one customer dislike it... and that was due to a Novell client incompatibility with 64-bit.
 
Not true. People running old hardware, or anyone who uses Intel's IGS, hates it. Another group that often dislikes it are those that quit using it before the super fetch cache is built dislike it. Finally, gamers that tried it in the early days but no anytime recently could certainly find reasons to hate it. I still recall EQ losing 30 FPS or more, and that wasn't exactly a strenuous game for my GPU.

so what youre saying is... people who have old hardware and expect a newer operating system to run the same on it, people who dont know squat about the way their OS works, and people who got lower game performance a YEAR ago are perfectly justified in bashing Vista? interesting assertion.

Nevertheless, I think anyone that buys knew hardware should probably just run vista. even if it runs slightly slower, in day to day use, it's just not noticable, and I'm running on an e4300, so it's not like it's the fast chip on the block (though it's not a dog by any stretch). I also ran it on an A64 3000+ with an ATI X800 and it ran fine. Even when I was down to 512mb it was ok, though I wasn't running anything tough, since I'd just lost my HD....and sold 2GB of ram (because it was worth almsot 2x what I paid for it).
FYI Vista runs faster than XP in every respect with modern hardware.
 
Back
Top