Microsoft Confirms DirectX 11 to Ship with Windows 7

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
PCGH has the scoop on the inclusion of DirectX 11 with Windows 7. They also report that DX 11 will be made available for Vista, according to their source Ben Basaric, who also happens to be the Windows Product Marketing Manager.

Microsoft's Ben Basaric just told us that Windows 7 will, contrary to the rather vague statement a few days ago, be delivered with DirectX 11.

Looks like there may only be two generations of dx10 hardware then, where dx9 brought three. Bring on the new video cards!!!

Thanks for the info ! It's begining to look like dx11 is just more additions to dx10. I shall dub it dx10.2 !

but what about MS Paint?!?!

I've seen it being used in a video...it definitely looks like they FINALLY upgraded it to 1.5!! :p

Nah, but seriously, I saw some more "advanced" tools in the list, and it looks like they're finally doing a little something with it.

ZOMG IS DX11 CUMIN OUT FER XP?!!?!?!?!? Y CANT THEY PORT IT?!?!?!?

really....i can't wait for the above to start showing up on internet forums when windows 7 comes out. :rolleyes:

This makes me that much more happy I got an 8800GS, rather than an oh-my-god-expensive card. It should probably last me until it's out.

ZOMG IS DX11 CUMIN OUT FER XP?!!?!?!?!? Y CANT THEY PORT IT?!?!?!?

really....i can't wait for the above to start showing up on internet forums when windows 7 comes out. :rolleyes:
Guarantee it happens here.

Thread title in the [H] Video Cards subform:
Is there any way to run DirectX 11 on Windows XP?

... Because they're already using DX10 to it's full extent? Riiiiiiight

lol cause they really used dx9 right? Hopefully when the next generation of consoles roll around with dx10 we'll start to see something there lol.

This is one reason I have not thought about getting an ATI 4xxx series card, while it would be nice to ramp up the speed, I can play around with my 2 3870s' and get some decent speed (need to list the widescreen resolutions, so I can know what to "downgrade" to)

Not sure what is going to happen with an official DX10 XP build, but there would be NO way they could have limited 11 to W7, you would have had a riot, not just from us but from EVERY game designer in the world.

It's going to be interesting to see how much they want to charge for the new OS, ESPECIALLY from Vista users, considering such a fast turn around.

i bet AMD are crapping themselves... ATi still havent got DX10 down perfect yet... all ive seen is crashity crash crash...

but what about MS Paint?!?!

I've seen it being used in a video...it definitely looks like they FINALLY upgraded it to 1.5!! :p

Nah, but seriously, I saw some more "advanced" tools in the list, and it looks like they're finally doing a little something with it.

No!!! They can't upgrade Paint! It's the only artifact left unchanged from the days when Windows 95 revolutionized everything. It's, like, a sentimental thing.

Seriously, though, if MS upgrades Paint they've got to include the old version just for tradition's sake.

What exactly is windows 7....Is it a new OS like Vista or something for mobile devices?:confused:

This is one reason I have not thought about getting an ATI 4xxx series card, while it would be nice to ramp up the speed, I can play around with my 2 3870s' and get some decent speed (need to list the widescreen resolutions, so I can know what to "downgrade" to)

Not sure what is going to happen with an official DX10 XP build, but there would be NO way they could have limited 11 to W7, you would have had a riot, not just from us but from EVERY game designer in the world.

It's going to be interesting to see how much they want to charge for the new OS, ESPECIALLY from Vista users, considering such a fast turn around.

Fast turn-around? Oh not another one....

No!!! They can't upgrade Paint! It's the only artifact left unchanged from the days when Windows 95 revolutionized everything. It's, like, a sentimental thing.

Check out the Add Font dialog in Vista - it looks even older than Paint, lol

i bet AMD are crapping themselves... ATi still havent got DX10 down perfect yet... all ive seen is crashity crash crash...

Both DX10 and 10.1 are working perfectly on my 4850, I blame user error :p

Then again, ATI is at least caught up with the CURRENT DirectX, nvidia is still lagging behind with its lack of DX10.1 ;)

DX11 will be on Vista as well. The official build of DX10 XP is already out, its called "Vista" :rolleyes: ;)

"Microsoft confirms sky is blue"

Seriously, was there any doubt about 7/DX11?

ohhhhhh, DirectX11 with Windows 7. Probably will look so much more realistic, but will take time to actually look like DirectX11 at full capabilities.

Cool, I guess by 2012 we'll have the hardware and the software to run games that look like this. Games like Crysis 3 and Duke Nukem Forever. :D

Well, I think if DX11 can bring new features that developers will actually use, then it should do much better than DX10. The problem with DX10, I don't see any significant feature that developers can really utilize that will bring huge difference compared to DX9

Besides, the fact that DX10 was only limited to Vista at a time where many users around the world out there still runs on Windowx XP certainly did have negative impact on DX10 as well. By 2012, the number of Vista/Win7 users should be much higher.

So I think there's a better chance DX11 will do well, without needing DX10 to "do well" first. DX10 is probably something many will skip.

I think one of the hardest things to get over was the "Promise" of DX10 especially when all we got were artist renderings for FlightSimX yet to get that in real life requires the power of cpu/gpu that are at LEAST another year away and that's only if there is huge code optimization.

I do wonder WHERE he got that from, if it was from actual scenery that was IN the game but had nothing else running besides that (no plane,weather etc.)

So no DX11 support in XP. I should have known. Looks like I'll be taking a pass on DX11 as well...

So no DX11 support in XP. I should have known. Looks like I'll be taking a pass on DX11 as well...

wow that really didn't take long at all. maybe i should have posted at 3...2...1... at the end of what i said earlier. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back