Microsoft Clarifies Xbox Scorpio Frame Rate/Fidelity Stance

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Xbox engineering lead Mike Ybarra has confirmed that frame rate parity between Scorpio and Xbox One games is totally up to the developer; there is no requirement that they have to be the same. This detail was pointed out after it was suggested the Scorpio would be held back by the original Xbox One. More broadly, Ybarra says that game makers are free to do what they want with the additional power in Scorpio: developers could even choose different framerates for MP games if they wanted to.

Microsoft is positioning Scorpio as the "most powerful console ever made," so it would be unfortunate if developers had to reign in their visions for games by limiting frame rate and fidelity. Microsoft Studios boss Shannon Loftis thinks developers will keep the frame rate consistent for multiplayer games. All Xbox One games work on Scorpio, though the Scorpio editions can look and perform better, in some cases, if developers want to do that. It is a similar situation with PS4 and PS4 Pro. Microsoft is expected to share more details on Scorpio at E3 or sooner.

I dunno, I would've liked to have seen a hard stance on devs; seems devs will usually take the route of lowest amount of work (if the majority of PS4 Pro features is an indicator). I think a hardlock between 1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps would be decent.

I seem to recall the XBox 360 taking a 720p or bust approach to their games, and I believe that helped usher in the HD generation. Might be a bit unfair to force 4k at 60fps with the hardware given, but I think 1080p/60fps is a very real possibility.

Even if there's no rule against it, how many developers are going to but a ton of extra time into jazzing up a game for a system only a small number of owners will have? I hope some will, but I kinda doubt it. I bet it'll be like the PS4 Pro where support is mostly phoned in. That has been the case in the past, too. Whenever there are haves and have nots, devs don't spend that much time on the haves. Especially when the install base for the original console will be way, way, way ahead of Scorpio for a long time.
As time passes (and hopefully Scorpio starts to overtake the normal console) I can see things changing, though.

I think not putting in a more powerful CPU is going to bite them in the ass in the long run, unless the expect the Scorpio to only last 2-3 years.

They'd be in a lot of trouble if it turns out like ps4 pro where you get more power where the game devs don't do anything to utilize it and game are still just running at 30fps regardless.

Hey,

Fill in "console platform / developer " has been holding back PC game development since Xbox/Playstation cross platform releases. They always seem to developer for the least common denominator, which is the console.

I tell you I don't get no respect at all. My wife called me today, she said she wanted to clarify her fidelity stance.

rodney-genius.jpg

People are going to look back on all of the hype MS is trying to generate and laugh their asses off when this thing flops harder than the Virtual Boy come fall!

They'd be in a lot of trouble if it turns out like ps4 pro where you get more power where the game devs don't do anything to utilize it and game are still just running at 30fps regardless.

I don't know if you have actually checked out the games running on PS4 Pro, but the ones, like Horizon that utilize the extra horsepower, DO look SIGNIFICANTLY better on the Pro. But no, you won't get any additional FPS in shooters...that would tilt the balance of the game in favor of the newer hardware, and they don't want to go down that route.

I have also found that UNOPTOMIZED games run better on the Pro, with less slowdown in certain games (and in certain areas). The unoptomized games run better...but you would be forgiven for missing the difference there. I am assuming that this will remain true on the Xbox "Scorpio". It will run/look better on unoptomized games, but not significantly enough to justify an upgrade. The question is...will it have any games that make the purchase worthwhile? Looking at the history of Xbox Exclusives, I am calling it now...the answer is a resounding "no"!

I don't know if you have actually checked out the games running on PS4 Pro, but the ones, like Horizon that utilize the extra horsepower, DO look SIGNIFICANTLY better on the Pro. But no, you won't get any additional FPS in shooters...that would tilt the balance of the game in favor of the newer hardware, and they don't want to go down that route.

I have also found that UNOPTOMIZED games run better on the Pro, with less slowdown in certain games (and in certain areas). The unoptomized games run better...but you would be forgiven for missing the difference there. I am assuming that this will remain true on the Xbox "Scorpio". It will run/look better on unoptomized games, but not significantly enough to justify an upgrade. The question is...will it have any games that make the purchase worthwhile? Looking at the history of Xbox Exclusives, I am calling it now...the answer is a resounding "no"!

I apologize i thought I read this article http://wccftech.com/ps4-pro-support-growing-disappointment/ linked frontpage at hardocp.com so I was kinda drawing from it's references thinking this was current discussion fodder. TLDR; There are only a handful of games that received any benefit from PS4 Pro and that is usually just a smoother 30fps experience at 1080. (again, in the rare case of any actual support)

Since XBOX SCORPIO PR has gone on record over and over stating that 'it is up to the developers to implement this wonderful hardware headroom', how many different game versions are companies actually planning on making if they have to now spread it between xbox1, scorpio, ps4, ps4pro, switch, pc. In my experience we're lucky to get one console port across 3 platforms. Also, the fact that microsoft essentially killed off it's first party studios over the last 5 years is also a significant factor in the non-scorpio focused development.

Even if there's no rule against it, how many developers are going to but a ton of extra time into jazzing up a game for a system only a small number of owners will have? I hope some will, but I kinda doubt it. I bet it'll be like the PS4 Pro where support is mostly phoned in. That has been the case in the past, too. Whenever there are haves and have nots, devs don't spend that much time on the haves. Especially when the install base for the original console will be way, way, way ahead of Scorpio for a long time.
As time passes (and hopefully Scorpio starts to overtake the normal console) I can see things changing, though.

And that's the summary of how consoles have been dragging down PC gaming for the better part of a decade.

Back