Microsoft Claims Constitutional Right to Reveal Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a tip for Microsoft...just do it. Just release the info and face any "punishment" the government tries to hit you with. I'd rather have the public know the truth and face a fine than continue to let the rumors run rampant.

Microsoft says that information from users’ emails, instant messages, and Skype calls are not made available to government agencies, contrary to previous reports. The company also claims that it refuses to grant government agencies the ability to break its encryption in order to access personal information. The computing giant believes it has a constitutional right to share with the public what information it allows government agencies to see, and the company is requesting Holder’s help to speed along the process.

Since it is their Constitutional right, why ask Holder? That guys is a useless puppet.

Regarding MS and Skype, I thought that when MS bought Skype, there were explicit back-doors built into it? Vs. when Skype was still a separate private entity? People speculated for the express purpose for government/security access.

Since it is their Constitutional right, why ask Holder? That guys is a useless puppet.

Actually we're all puppets in this. These are secret laws, actions and rulings. Exposing them publicly is against these secret laws which are ruled on by a secret court whose judges are appointed by the Chief Justice. The minute anyone in the Obama administration revealed or allowed the revelation of this information, you can be certain that the next day the House would vote to impeach that person because more than likely that person would be charged with crime by their own administration!

This is all becoming way too political.

The ways our government uses technology not just to monitor us, but control us is just simply amazing.

I have a tip for Microsoft...just do it. Just release the info and face any "punishment" the government tries to hit you with. I'd rather have the public know the truth and face a fine than continue to let the rumors run rampant.

While I don't disagree but I fell I do need to point out that it's far easier to take that stand when it's not you that would be facing the punishment.

It's ironic that an administration that when running constantly talked about transparency has reached the point where they can imprison people for talking about a warrent they had been served.

This strikes me as simply being a face-saving device by Microsoft. Otherwise, they would do as Steve suggested.

Actually, no law passed by the Governemnt, Public, or Secret?, can be considered "Constitutinal", until it has been appealed to the Supreem Court, and they ajudicatte that law as "Being Constitutional", which is a long process, that may never happen to many of the So-Called Laws, we are already saddled with/

It is a law we are already "saddled" with.

That was his point. Congress can pass laws.. they shouldn't pass unconstitutional laws, but they have before. Unless it is challenged and upheld in the Supreme Court.. its constitutionality hasn't been verified

That was his point. Congress can pass laws.. they shouldn't pass unconstitutional laws, but they have before. Unless it is challenged and upheld in the Supreme Court.. its constitutionality hasn't been verified

Ah. I didn't read that correctly...

Of course we shouldn't pass unconstitutional laws, but we do all the time.

MICROSOFT believes it has a constitutional right to share with the public what information it allows government agencies to see.

What a joke. What about my rights?

Headline gives the impression that MS reserves the right to reveal our data. Which is not the case. Hence, misleading/bad headline.

While I don't disagree but I fell I do need to point out that it's far easier to take that stand when it's not you that would be facing the punishment.

So Snowden had to flee to Russia to prevent his execution, yet Microsoft employees should just go ahead and reveal data and become subject to the same kinds of charges as Snowden? Guess they should go ahead and book their flights to Moscow. Really, if the government is doing all of this spying, wouldn't they be putting on the screws of people like those at Microsoft who might have very specific information about these programs particularly after Snowden?

It's ironic that an administration that when running constantly talked about transparency has reached the point where they can imprison people for talking about a warrent they had been served.

Have the House guarantee that it won't impeach any Senate confirmed person that comes forward with information about these programs. The minute that any information about these programs is revealed and the source came back to the President or the AG every Republican in the House would vote to impeach them, probably even some Democrats.

They should just do it for sure... not doing so can only hurt their business. Everything things they are the biggest weasels of them all, and releasing that information to the public would definitely earn them a lot more respect from the industry..

I have a feeling this is all BS, prolly just MS on the defensive after being outed as a snidy ass company who lets the US gov have easy access to all yo info's.

Fuk them and the us and uk gubments.

All that is going to come from this is more and more normal people are going to start using end to end encryption for their day to day inet surfing and, the more who use it the quicker it becomes the norm and the quicker gubments will get pissed off since they will be finding nearly every type of traffic will be encrypted to some degree and they wont have such easy access to it.

Requesting help from Holder. Let's see how that works out for them...

Back