Microsoft Charges the FBI $50 for a Copy of your Private Data

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Syrian Electronic Army has claimed to have breached Microsoft’s internal networks and made public invoices from Microsoft to the FBI detailing billing procedures for private citizens’ data. Microsoft admits to the breach, but refuses to comment on the content of the documents.

The leaked files detail months of transactions between Microsoft's Global Criminal Compliance team and the FBI's Digital Intercept Technology Unit,

Gee microsoft, sure is costing you lots of money in court costs and fighting for your customers rights

Oh NM, scratch that, you're making a killing off of it....

Eh, MS is just having the FBI reimburse them for pulling the data when they receive a valid subpoena.

It's just more sensationalism and people freaking out before they even read the article.

From MS and highlighted in the article.

We’ve previously stated that Microsoft won’t comment on the validity of any stolen emails or documents. Regarding law enforcement requests, there’s nothing unusual here. Under U.S. law, companies can seek reimbursement for costs associated with complying with valid legal orders for customer data. As we state clearly in our Law Enforcement Requests Report, we attempt to recover some of the costs associated with any such orders. Please refer to our Trustworthy Computing blog posted on January 24, 2014 for more details.

This is standard for any company that receives subpoena's from any government organization.

The Syrian Electronic Army has invented data it claims it stole from Microsoft’s internal networks and made public to stir up cluless Americans already flipping out about their government for lols because America is sometimes dumb like that...

Fixed. :p

Eh, MS is just having the FBI reimburse them for pulling the data when they receive a valid subpoena.

It's just more sensationalism and people freaking out before they even read the article.

This is standard for any company that receives subpoena's from any government organization.
This. Plus... I'm highly skeptical of a Syrian army cyber attack infiltrating Microsoft and finding something this blatantly pandering to absurd preoccupations with domestic spying.

This. Plus... I'm highly skeptical of a Syrian army cyber attack infiltrating Microsoft and finding something this blatantly pandering to absurd preoccupations with domestic spying.

It's the big thing for the general public in America to be excited about so it makes sense to release something that can keep stirring the pot that takes advantage of the current "I hate everything the government does because of..." fad. People are gullible and easily distracted from more significant things so as long as this kinda thing works to foster discordance, someone will take advantage of the situation.

Microsoft confirmed the breach ..

In other words, Micro$haft is charging the tax payers $50 per request. Don't forget where the Federal Government gets its money. :mad:

The 1990s left a message on my cassette tape answering machine asking for the dollar sign in Microsoft's name to be returned to the decade in which it rightfully belongs.

We already know MS will read your email even without a subpoena.

Which has nothing to do with them charging the FBI for fulling the data relating to a subpoena. Arguably MS does not need a subpoena to read your e-mail assuming that they are reading your Outlook account; it is arguably wrong in a business and ethical sense, but given they own the servers and the backend...

i highly doubt that microsoft or even any company for that matter will have receipts on their emails cache be it the FBI or any other... thing that has receipts lol

A big +1 to this. MS is just of a sufficient size to get paid to do it. We get subpoenaed, and manage not to ever get any money out of them. Costs us out eh wazoo too.

A big +1 to this. MS is just of a sufficient size to get paid to do it. We get subpoenaed, and manage not to ever get any money out of them. Costs us out eh wazoo too.

Pretty much this. At an earlier stage, it would probably cost more to bill, accept and process the payments than it would to just send it out without charging.

I;m happy that MS is making the FBI pay for the data, but at the same time I'm pissed they're selling it at all.

I;m happy that MS is making the FBI pay for the data, but at the same time I'm pissed they're selling it at all.

To clarify again, unless this is something new, they aren't selling data to the FBI. They are charging the FBI for the time they spend collecting data to satisfy a subpoena.

Was it hidden in their Garbage file?

Did Acidburn and Crashoveride help?

To clarify again, unless this is something new, they aren't selling data to the FBI. They are charging the FBI for the time they spend collecting data to satisfy a subpoena.

They are taking money for a service they are giving. That's what I call selling, but I don't know about you.

Back