Microsoft Changes Verification on College Office Products

Zarathustra[H];1038379144 said:
Well, you're no longer a student, so technically your license should be null and void anyway, and you need to graduate to buying a big boy license. :p

The license is perpetual do it is yours no matter what. The only requirement is that you are a student at the time of purchase.

Paid $35 for my academic edition of Office 2010 (plus a $30/year fee as long as I'm a student)...comes with Access/Word/Excel/Outlook/InfoPath/OneLook/Sharepoin/Publisher, but not Visio (used Publisher for one class but needed to use Visio in a few classes so I had to use the school computers...which suck ass). The bundle comes on 3 discs with product key and a note from my school that basically says not to bother with one of the discs unless your class(es) need the stuff on that disc.

30/year fee???? They are seriously ripping you off then.

The first copy of 2010 Pro I bought was $50 and another $10 for Visio Pro. This was with my .edu email address and using Microsoft's student discount site.

There are at least 3-4 different 3rd party sites that sell (legally through MS and other companies), student discounted software.

At my work I can also get another copy of Office 2010 Pro for $10 and Visio Pro for $10.

30/year fee???? They are seriously ripping you off then.

The first copy of 2010 Pro I bought was $50 and another $10 for Visio Pro. This was with my .edu email address and using Microsoft's student discount site.

There are at least 3-4 different 3rd party sites that sell (legally through MS and other companies), student discounted software.

At my work I can also get another copy of Office 2010 Pro for $10 and Visio Pro for $10.

I forget what the fee is for, but I don't care since I bought the package this past semester and I graduate in May.

Have they fixed Oo_Org or Libre Office's handling of docx and file format conversion? Last I use Oo_Org it still choked when jumping formats resulting in text formatting breaks...Oo_Org's spell/grammar check was also rather primitive compared to Office.

I don't know about Open Office but I know "old" versions of MS Office (at least back to XP) can open docx files, they just need a plugin. I don't think they can save as .docx though.

MS doesn't care if non-students that buy Office for $10 start pirating Office because those same people wouldn't buy Office anyway.

Back