Microsoft Announces Edge for iOS and Android

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a surprise announcement, Microsoft said its Edge web browser is now available for iPhones, with a release for Android "in the coming weeks." The initial rollout for the browser will be limited to those in the US. but should expand to other markets over time. Currently, the browser is in preview only as Microsoft begins to build out features based on user feedback. The same goes for tablet support on both OSes, which should come later.

You’re standing in line at a coffee shop. Your right thumb is stre-t-ch-ing to drag out words on your phone’s keyboard while you squint to read the text on the web form you’re filling out. It’s amazing what’s possible today—but don’t you wish your phone could magically send that task to your Windows 10 PC where you could luxuriate in a big screen and hardware keyboard? With the new preview apps we’re launching for iOS and Android – you can.

Well look at that a MS browser running on a Linux kernel.

A lot of historical type jerks wearing sweaters this morning.

Really though I wonder how far we are away from a MS Android phone release.

oh lol, what is wrong with those retards? :D

i would prefer Tay as an assistant :p

the only thing anyone uses edge for it downloading chrome...

reminds me, edge hasnt worked since the creator update for me lol
INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Edge isnt bad as a browser but there is absolutely no reason for me to switch to it. I doesnt do anything better (though not much worse) than the other major alternative browsers. Its Extension/Add-ins offerings is just pitiful though.

Sweet, now announce it for Windows 7 - the still reigning most popular desktop OS in the world, Windows 8.1, Linux and MacOS. And make it a real Win32 program, not gimped mobile/WinRT10 (UWP).

I'll never understand how MS believed they would take on Chrome by making Edge available for only one version of one operating system, and shipping it without plugins.

I'll dump Chrome in a heartbeat if somebody makes something better.

Last edited:
I’ll give it a shot but I’m not really sure it will too safari for integration.

Sweet, now announce it for Windows 7 - the still reigning most popular desktop OS in the world,

Only in the underdeveloped 3rd world and parts of Asia.. Everywhere else Windows 10 is enjoying a healthy lead. :)

I find safari doesn't always load the pages, its like I need to switch wifi from 2.4 to 5ghz or vice versa to make the page loads, maybe IE browser will be better? will see how it compares with google chrome.

Cool cherrypicked stats from Statcounter, but doesnt change Windows 7 being the most popular desktop OS in the world.

Statcounter: Again, worldwide: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

Netmarketshare: Again, worldwide: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qpcustomb=0&qprid=11

Steam: 10 slightly ahead but some gamers are rolling back, as 7 gained +6% for a total of 41.01%, while 10 lost -4.66% for a total of 45.37%. Things are moving in the wrong direction for W10, and losing gamers is a bad sign since they're traditionally a slam dunk demographic for new windows versions.

Nuances, biases and margins of error +/- each individual stat source aside, there's a prevailing and obvious meta here that 10 isn't taking the world by storm. MS knows it, their internal stats show it, it's etched in their silence in no longer crowing about 10's uptake. 7 will continue to reign.

Last edited:
Cool cherrypicked stats from Statcounter, but don't disprove my statement that Windows 7 remains the most popular desktop OS in the world.

Statcounter: Again, worldwide: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide
Netmarketshare: Again, worldwide: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qpcustomb=0&qprid=11
Steam: 10 slightly ahead but ahead but gamers are waking up, because 7 gained +6% for a total of 41.01%, while 10 lost -4.66% for a total of 45.37%. Things are moving in the WRONG direction for Windows 10 apologists.

Nuances, biases and margins of error +/- each individual stat source aside, there's a prevailing and obvious reality here that 10 isn't taking the world by storm, while 7 reigns.

Of course you were responding to my post, trying to disprove that "Only in the underdeveloped 3rd world and parts of Asia.. Everywhere else Windows 10 is enjoying a healthy lead". Which you have completely failed to do.

There's a good chance Windows 10 has a solid lead where you live. What do you care what depressed Asian markets are doing?

Last edited:
Only in the underdeveloped 3rd world and parts of Asia.. Everywhere else Windows 10 is enjoying a healthy lead. :)

gee thats weird, i thought the dumbest people lived in the underdeveloped parts, not otherwise, i dont even know what to say about this

Why would I use Edge, Firefox is available on iOS already. So is chrome if that’s your thing. Lol Microsoft.

Who can guess what browser will be dropped or have worse features than it does on Windows 10.
If you guessed Edge you win.

I hugely await a replacement for Safari, especially one that supports normal things like Java and embedded video. But AFAIK Apple limits browsers to using the Safari rendering engine anyway, so on iOS they're all Safari browsers with a different skin, is that correct? Otherwise, I'll actually try Edge out on iOS, even though I wouldn't touch it on my desktop.

I hugely await a replacement for Safari, especially one that supports normal things like Java and embedded video. But AFAIK Apple limits browsers to using the Safari rendering engine anyway, so on iOS they're all Safari browsers with a different skin, is that correct? Otherwise, I'll actually try Edge out on iOS, even though I wouldn't touch it on my desktop.
JAVA isn’t allowed on iOS.

In tests I saw around February mobile safari had the lowest website compatibility of any main stream browser. This might help.
Kind of how Microsoft bailed out mac by offering office.

In a surprise announcement, Microsoft said its Edge web browser is now available for iPhones, with a release for Android "in the coming weeks." The initial rollout for the browser will be limited to those in the US. but should expand to other markets over time. Currently, the browser is in preview only as Microsoft begins to build out features based on user feedback. The same goes for tablet support on both OSes, which should come later.

You’re standing in line at a coffee shop. Your right thumb is stre-t-ch-ing to drag out words on your phone’s keyboard while you squint to read the text on the web form you’re filling out. It’s amazing what’s possible today—but don’t you wish your phone could magically send that task to your Windows 10 PC where you could luxuriate in a big screen and hardware keyboard? With the new preview apps we’re launching for iOS and Android – you can.
I don't see it.

Back