Microsoft Alienates Troops with the Always-Online Xbox

Simple solution, decrease the military budget and bring the troops back from these bullshit occupations they shouldn't be in the first place. Problem solved

Who are we kidding the military wouldn't allow a device with a mandatory spy camera and microphone on military premises anyway. The internet connection is the least of the issue here.

What are you talking about? All that gets sent to NAS who will keep track of it so it's an extra layer of protection for the military.

Not just troops everyone :).

Everyone knows that you need to be online because some people at Microsoft have some ideas on how to get rich investing into Sony stock ;) .

You are missing the point that some people have preferred the Xbox experience over the past 12 years. everything from live to Halo to Gears of War and beyond. Now MS is saying you can only experience Xbox if you live in an idealized and frankly, privileged reality.

No I am not missing the point. The argument is that troops should be able to play video games to relax, and I'm claiming the xBox One needing connectivity every 24 hours does nothing to affect their ability to play video games.

So you have people who prefer Xbox, now they can't... big fucking whoopity do... sometimes you don't always get what you want. I love those that serve as much as the next guy but this whole backlash due to "the troops" is getting quite silly. I mean hell I think the DRM of the XB1 is fucking retarded and I hate it, and I have ZERO interest in ever buying an XB1 (even if they released it without the DRM), argue that you think it's silly, or this, but the whole "Troops have the right to play video games on the Xbox One" argument is very silly. Where was the outrage that the troops couldn't play Diablo 3?

No I am not missing the point. The argument is that troops should be able to play video games to relax, and I'm claiming the xBox One needing connectivity every 24 hours does nothing to affect their ability to play video games.

So you have people who prefer Xbox, now they can't... big fucking whoopity do... sometimes you don't always get what you want. I love those that serve as much as the next guy but this whole backlash due to "the troops" is getting quite silly. I mean hell I think the DRM of the XB1 is fucking retarded and I hate it, and I have ZERO interest in ever buying an XB1 (even if they released it without the DRM), argue that you think it's silly, or this, but the whole "Troops have the right to play video games on the Xbox One" argument is very silly. Where was the outrage that the troops couldn't play Diablo 3?

Simmer down man. The issue is that Microsoft has no respect for a segment of the customers, and in this instance that player base are people serving our country. By the nature of your very forum posts defending your position, you are wanting people to at least respect your position. What's wrong with expecting Microsoft to respect the troops? A lot of other troops handle stress with alcohol. A lot of good soldiers with too much stress get discharged because of what can happen with too much alcohol. Give the guys a break? Can't we ask Microsoft that much? Senior officers recognize the value and sure would rather their troops gaming then being given into excess alcohol.

how about we bring them all home and they won't have any issues...

I have to agree, bringing in the troops for the argument is stupid. But preference is something we should all get. Even if I think it's..... a console that's has so much crap on it.

If your only concern is the military then this is easily fixed as MS could make a military only version of the new Xbox which allows the troops access but no one else ... Companies do that all the time ... Problem solved ... Unless there is another agenda at play ;)

This trend of always on games is really a big issue and this is where you see it in reality. Sure, some people may think troops should not be playing video games, but I think for what they go through they really need that time to just sit back and do something fun.

This always on trend also affects anyone else who may not have internet or good internet. Heck, what if you want to play it at the cottage?

I really hope this Xbox issue opens the eyes of all game companies to stop this ridiculous always online BS. It's not just an Xbox issue, it's an issue with lot of games now. (sim city anyone? LOL)

Speaking of consoles I really hope the kickstarter android based one really takes off. That's how it should be! Open source.

Forgive me for playing Devil's advocate here... but is a NEED of our soldiers to play the latest in video game consoles from Microsoft? They can still play video games, just not the XBone

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. We aren't soldiers overseas 24/7, and when we do have down time we like to have something to do.

Forgive me for playing Devil's advocate here... but is a NEED of our soldiers to play the latest in video game consoles from Microsoft? They can still play video games, just not the XBone

Agreed. Does it really matter? The PS4 will be "just fine" next to the 5,000 Abrams tanks we have sitting and collecting dust. I think we perhaps "not" waste as much taxpayers money as possible concerning video games for our troops?

How about we worry more about the nearly $700 Billion dollar budget that is a fantastic and sad waste of money improving what is already the most advanced (by a factor of 15 of average) military in the world.

But no , lets all worry about this small unimportant issue.

If I can switch from Xbox Live to Playstation Network when the PS4 releases , I think our highly trained men and women of our armed forces can "handle it".

This trend of always on games is really a big issue and this is where you see it in reality. Sure, some people may think troops should not be playing video games, but I think for what they go through they really need that time to just sit back and do something fun.

This always on trend also affects anyone else who may not have internet or good internet. Heck, what if you want to play it at the cottage?

I really hope this Xbox issue opens the eyes of all game companies to stop this ridiculous always online BS. It's not just an Xbox issue, it's an issue with lot of games now. (sim city anyone? LOL)

It's going to be ugly if XBOne's launch turns out to be anything like Sim City's launch :eek: It's a $499 paper weight if the servers crashes. We might tend to think that it's Microsoft, they are big enough to handle it. But so was EA and Blizzard, veteran gaming companies with tons of experience running online games.

Agreed. Does it really matter? The PS4 will be "just fine" next to the 5,000 Abrams tanks we have sitting and collecting dust. I think we perhaps "not" waste as much taxpayers money as possible concerning video games for our troops?

How about we worry more about the nearly $700 Billion dollar budget that is a fantastic and sad waste of money improving what is already the most advanced (by a factor of 15 of average) military in the world.

If I can switch from Xbox Live to Playstation Network when the PS4 releases , I think our highly trained men and women of our armed forces can "handle it".

Must be nice to have freedom of choice, wonder why you have that luxury.
This topic isn't about the 700 billion dollar budget, don't try to change the subject, the thread is in regards to how with this decision to be always on unintentionally but "harmfully" alienates the troops. If anyone deserves a choice in how to spend their free time, it's the people who had the balls to volunteer for service while you sit your fatass behind a desk and eat cheetos from the comfort of your home.

This topic isn't about the 700 billion dollar budget, don't try to change the subject, the thread is in regards to how with this decision to be always on unintentionally but "harmfully" alienates the troops. If anyone deserves a choice in how to spend their free time, it's the people who had the balls to volunteer for service while you sit your fatass behind a desk and eat cheetos from the comfort of your home.

Whenever someone wants to make a change or complain about one they tend to trot out two arguments (in the USA at least) ... one is "for the soldiers" and the other is "for the children" ... our soldiers deserve every bit of respect and support we can give them ... but they shouldn't be used as pawns to further other people's agendas any more than the children should ... I agree we should figure out a way to accommodate our soldiers (especially those in or near combat zones), whether that involves Sony donating PS4s to them or MS accommodating the online requirements for them is a toss up ... that doesn't mean that the online strategies MS is proposing are wrong or that they should be abandoned for the general population ;)

Seriously? Insulting me doesn't provide you with a logical view point , it just makes you look the fool and exposes your weak counter argument. This is NOT the military's problem , nor is it my problem as Joe "Fatass" taxpayer as you stated. Its Microsoft's "problem" as a business and their choice to practice anti-consumerism to this degree. If the troops feel outrage then they should direct it at Microsoft just as the rest of us are.

Hey and guess what this doesn't just effect our military servicemen and women , it effects people ALL over the fucking globe with substandard internet. Over 30 percent of the US population has less than capable speed for the minimum 1.5Mbps required by the Xbox One.

And what the fuck is with the attitude that if you serve in the military you "automatically" get a pass on being questioned and weighted just like the rest of us. Military service is ELECTIVE in this country , there are hardships involved in making this choice and if you can't handle certain aspects about military life that doesn't entitle you to special treatment. This is far from being a topic on that regardless. Our "troops" will survive just fine on a PS4 and I doubt it'll be such a horrible travesty to adjust to.

I'm sure our soldiers are more concerned with things like getting a "job" when they finish their service and proper pay from our government or better health care than if they can use an Xbox One overseas or not. This is absolutely a minor issue compared to the other problems with our military so quit making it into a larger issue than it is.

Coast Guard here and I have expressed my concern to them with being on a ship and what not, but oh well. I have my pc, phone, and maybe the next ps.

Seriously? Insulting me doesn't provide you with a logical view point , it just makes you look the fool and exposes your weak counter argument. This is NOT the military's problem , nor is it my problem as Joe "Fatass" taxpayer as you stated. Its Microsoft's "problem" as a business and their choice to practice anti-consumerism to this degree. If the troops feel outrage then they should direct it at Microsoft just as the rest of us are.

Hey and guess what this doesn't just effect our military servicemen and women , it effects people ALL over the fucking globe with substandard internet. Over 30 percent of the US population has less than capable speed for the minimum 1.5Mbps required by the Xbox One.

And what the fuck is with the attitude that if you serve in the military you "automatically" get a pass on being questioned and weighted just like the rest of us. Military service is ELECTIVE in this country , there are hardships involved in making this choice and if you can't handle certain aspects about military life that doesn't entitle you to special treatment. This is far from being a topic on that regardless. Our "troops" will survive just fine on a PS4 and I doubt it'll be such a horrible travesty to adjust to.

I'm sure our soldiers are more concerned with things like getting a "job" when they finish their service and proper pay from our government or better health care than if they can use an Xbox One overseas or not. This is absolutely a minor issue compared to the other problems with our military so quit making it into a larger issue than it is.

It is also technically impossible to guarantee always on to work. MS can announce it and stick with it but in the end no one on this planet will buy the console for its always on feature.

Unlike most of you, our job is our lives. Just because we have our duties, doesn't mean we do not have a life. Try being out at sea, without contact to the real world, no days off, and not being home for the holidays. If you want to know what it's like, live were you work, and only go home to see your family 1/3 to a year at a time. :mad: You sir have no idea what you are talking about.
This is a typical day underway for someone with 4-8's.
0245 wake up
0315 report for watch and receive pass down.
0330 relieve the watch stander and stand your watch
0715 give pass down to oncoming watch
0730 get off watch, eat breakfast, and report for muster
0800 turn to ships work.
1130 lunch
1200 turn to ships work
1515 report for watch and receive pass down.
1530 relieve the watch stander and stand your watch
1700 temporary relief for dinner
1720 report back to watch.
1815 give pass down to oncoming watch
1830 get off watch and try to go to bed
0245 wake up and repeat.

This is 24/7. We don't get weekends off unless it's a special occasion like the 4th of July.

Last edited:
What's wrong with expecting Microsoft to respect the troops? A lot of other troops handle stress with alcohol. A lot of good soldiers with too much stress get discharged because of what can happen with too much alcohol. Give the guys a break? Can't we ask Microsoft that much? Senior officers recognize the value and sure would rather their troops gaming then being given into excess alcohol.

Again we see someone using "the troops" to try and get MS to change their stance on their product so they can be happy.

Yeah I read your statement and it was as senseless as the first part. I wasnt saying anything against Microsoft. I was questioning the notion that troops deployed overseas "need to play the latest games" and that any old gaming system would be just fine. I maintain that while its technically not a "need", being able to play the latest and greatest games out would be a welcome escape from their shitty deployment on the other side of the planet that theyre stuck in for the next several months.

I would think that would be something easy to agree on. Youre stuck in some desert thousands of miles from home, wouldnt you rather play Crysis 3 or Batman Arkham Origins instead of Halo for the millionth time?

We can still play games, nothing is changing. You're arguing that Microsoft should change their entire global strategy in which everything about the Xbox One revolves around so servicemembers who are deployed with access to PS3's, 360's, Wii U's, PS4's, Gaming Laptops, PC's, PS Vitas, 3DS's, a shitload of other none electronic forms of entertainment, actual movie theaters, swimming pools, etc. can have that one more option to play (and let's face it its Microsoft) Halo, Gears and Forza.

Our commitment to the Stan is quickly coming to an end, I don't think MS gives a damn about troopers on the ground for another year enough to change their entire goals and basically break them. If MS removes that restriction they have absolutely nothing going for them. Sony has them in every other category,

Are you a combat veteran?

Exactly. Bringing up "the troops" is a bullshit line that people take when it involves anything other than something serious like barracks that should be condemed, hospitals with lead paint peeling off in hallways, etc.

I've been in the military for almost 14 years now and despise this type of shit.

I did not say "you" are not allowed to have fun, I didn't say anything that resembles that. My question is the NEED to play the latest in video game consoles? You could play any number of other consoles that will work just fine, and obviously the PS4 as well, there are avenues out there to "have fun". So wait a few years when you get out of the service, or get deployed stateside where you might have internet access then you can play. Does the military get to see the newest movies too overseas? Or do they have to wait?

I'm sorry but it seems like a tremendous bitchfest here that is perpetuated by the idea that the only way you can have fun is by having the latest one that came out. You can't have any fun with a Wii, WiiU, Xbox 360, or PS3, no... you MUST have the latest system otherwise you can't have any fun and it's insulting the military!

What are you, some kind of progressive marxist? You don't ask somebody why they NEED something. If he has his own money that he worked for, then he has a right to purchase it whether he NEEDS it or not. He may be a big XBox fan, but now microsoft has policies that alienates a group of people, so he also has a right to not buy it and tell the company to stick it.

Again we see someone using "the troops" to try and get MS to change their stance on their product so they can be happy.

The accusatory tone is strong with this one. :p I'm actually happy on the PC. Even if there was no DRM, I currently don't have plans to get the next xbox. It would have to be an offer that would be irresistible to refuse.

I've been in the military for almost 14 years now and despise this type of shit.

I can see how the sympathy pooh-poohing will make you mad. And sure, everyone will survive just fine on a playstation. But Microsoft still doesn't deserve a free pass on this one. And that's the point. They are showing they don't care, regardless of whether it's troops or kids in remote places. Business is business, and customers don't have to help businesses doing business, that doesn't help anyone.

What are you, some kind of progressive marxist? You don't ask somebody why they NEED something. If he has his own money that he worked for, then he has a right to purchase it whether he NEEDS it or not. He may be a big XBox fan, but now microsoft has policies that alienates a group of people, so he also has a right to not buy it and tell the company to stick it.

Way to miss the obvious, and way to really spruce things up with an ad hominem. This has nothing to do with purchasing power, this was an argument about playing video games when one doesn't have access to an internet connection at least once a day and I think that argument is long past its life without anything new to discuss.

You're arguing that Microsoft should change their entire global strategy in which everything about the Xbox One revolves around so servicemembers who are deployed with access to PS3's, 360's, Wii U's, PS4's, Gaming Laptops, PC's, PS Vitas, 3DS's, a shitload of other none electronic forms of entertainment, actual movie theaters, swimming pools, etc. can have that one more option to play (and let's face it its Microsoft) Halo, Gears and Forza.

For crying out loud. No I never said anything like that. The ONLY thing I was reacting to was the notion that "do our troops really need to play the latest games". The ONLY thing I was arguing was that it is BETTER for deployed troops to be able to play the newest releases of games instead of being stuck with a 6+ year old console. Never said anything about Microsoft, never said Microsoft should change anything, never said that this is a travesty and human rights violation, never said that Microsoft hates the troops because of this, never said that the troops would be so demoralized without the latest games that they wouldnt be able to fight or that it would turn the tides of war or anything like that. I get that youre trying really hard to argue here but youre making stuff up out of whole cloth to do so.

The accusatory tone is strong with this one. :p I'm actually happy on the PC. Even if there was no DRM, I currently don't have plans to get the next xbox. It would have to be an offer that would be irresistible to refuse.

I can see how the sympathy pooh-poohing will make you mad. And sure, everyone will survive just fine on a playstation. But Microsoft still doesn't deserve a free pass on this one. And that's the point. They are showing they don't care, regardless of whether it's troops or kids in remote places. Business is business, and customers don't have to help businesses doing business, that doesn't help anyone.

It doesn't matter if you are an Xbox fanboy or a die hard PC advocate, you are actively trying to rally against Microsoft to either change their policies or provide alternatives like special boxes that don't need internet because those are the only two possible ways to correct it.

There are countless other ways to attack Microsoft without ever throwing a guilt trip their way by saying "What about the troops? Does Microsoft not care about our service members?"

For crying out loud. No I never said anything like that. The ONLY thing I was reacting to was the notion that "do our troops really need to play the latest games". The ONLY thing I was arguing was that it is BETTER for deployed troops to be able to play the newest releases of games instead of being stuck with a 6+ year old console. Never said anything about Microsoft, never said Microsoft should change anything, never said that this is a travesty and human rights violation, never said that Microsoft hates the troops because of this, never said that the troops would be so demoralized without the latest games that they wouldnt be able to fight or that it would turn the tides of war or anything like that. I get that youre trying really hard to argue here but youre making stuff up out of whole cloth to do so.

So did you or did you not say earlier;

Spoken like somebody sitting safe and sound and comfy in their air conditioned house. Try being deployed to someplace like Afghanistan where you could be killed any minute. Wouldnt it be nice to be able to fire up some video games every once in a while to give you some sort of comfort and entertainment?

Knowingly or not you are using "the troops" as a guilt trip directed at Microsoft. If the Xbox One is not an option for "the troops" it's not an option. Our mission ends late 2014, most of the guys over there would have already been deployed by the time the One is out. There is such a small number of people affected by this (less than 1000 probably) it's asinine to use "the troops" as an excuse to hammer away at Microsoft.

Knowingly or not you are using "the troops" as a guilt trip directed at Microsoft. If the Xbox One is not an option for "the troops" it's not an option. Our mission ends late 2014, most of the guys over there would have already been deployed by the time the One is out. There is such a small number of people affected by this (less than 1000 probably) it's asinine to use "the troops" as an excuse to hammer away at Microsoft.

Wow. Just speechless. :rolleyes:

I mean, I dont know how many more times I can say I wasnt talking about Microsoft or even the Xbox One.

Fuck it, I give up. You rock on dude.

Wow. Just speechless. :rolleyes:

I mean, I dont know how many more times I can say I wasnt talking about Microsoft or even the Xbox One.

Fuck it, I give up. You rock on dude.

Who else other than Microsoft prevents deployed service members from playing on their future console?

HINT: It's the thread title.

It doesn't matter if you are an Xbox fanboy or a die hard PC advocate, you are actively trying to rally against Microsoft to either change their policies or provide alternatives like special boxes that don't need internet because those are the only two possible ways to correct it.

Going after my motives still doesn't address what Microsoft does. And it's an especially moot point if other service members don't have such a disdain for "remember the troops" and are instead a little pissed with Microsoft. Does everyone think alike? It's not some pity party for a bar to give special prices to service members.

The hippies over at MSFT are saying F*ck Off to the world. Let them be and watch what happens (for your enjoyment).

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Same. I really want it to be known that people do not approve of this new theme to gaming. They arn't the first to do this crap but I suppose they're probably the first to do it to this extent, and probably the first console to do it. If it fails maybe it will send a message to the gaming industry.

I think it is just really too late to change anything, changing one thing would force them to change almost everything else. They are not really flexible here and the sad thing is that they did not take advantage of some of the other aspects of the system. No Cable DVR is just stupid and that alienates people who would want a cablebox replacement (my family for instance), forced Kinect 2 to power on alienates those who are concerned about privacy (just look at what is big in the news right now), DRM alienates folks who use Redbox, Gamefly and the used game market which is huge.

They can't really take something away without breaking the entire platform as it is. It has weaker hardware so they can't use that as a positive. The only thing from what I can tell that they are using as a PRO is the Family Share Plan which only helps people who have friends off site (out of state) otherwise you can just loan them the disc so it's a mute point. They keep saying cloud computing but Sony can do the exact same thing, they don't mention it because out of their PROs it's on the bottom.

They can't say they are changing their experience because it's still just a Kinect and controller no matter how much more advanced. Sony added a touch pad and light source for Move on their actual controllers which could lead to new ideas. You can't user upgrade the hard drive which is just baffling in 2013, why wouldn't you give consumers that choice? No streaming to a mobile device (Vita or Wii U gamepad), but you can pause your game to watch Live TV?

There are just so many flaws I simply don't understand what their thinking was looking back at the platform. The world is going in a more connected route but how is Sony limiting that or your choices here? Unlimited friends list size? There won't be anyone playing to have 50 friends much less a few thousand.

Are you a combat veteran?

Exactly. Bringing up "the troops" is a bullshit line that people take when it involves anything other than something serious like barracks that should be condemed, hospitals with lead paint peeling off in hallways, etc.

I'm a disabled veteran, served in the Marines and deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm not using the troops as an excuse, I really could care less what system I am able to play because I am a PC gamer.
OF COURSE people shouldn't use military as an excuse to try to sway the Microsoft argument, but bringing it to Microsoft's attention specifically isn't going to hurt the campaign to get them to change their minds about Always-on.
I just get tired of civilians talking about how military service members don't deserve special privilege or choice. Yes, we volunteered, blah blah blah. Well guess what, we volunteered, your ass didn't. If you knew how poorly we are treated after we get out (trying to get a job, get medical treatment for PTSD or other disabilities, etc) you would change your tune.

I'm a disabled veteran, served in the Marines and deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm not using the troops as an excuse, I really could care less what system I am able to play because I am a PC gamer.
OF COURSE people shouldn't use military as an excuse to try to sway the Microsoft argument, but bringing it to Microsoft's attention specifically isn't going to hurt the campaign to get them to change their minds about Always-on.
I just get tired of civilians talking about how military service members don't deserve special privilege or choice. Yes, we volunteered, blah blah blah. Well guess what, we volunteered, your ass didn't. If you knew how poorly we are treated after we get out (trying to get a job, get medical treatment for PTSD or other disabilities, etc) you would change your tune.

If you had read my posting earlier devil dog you would have seen that I stated legitimate claims are worthy of using the troops as a means to an end.

meant to quote multiple posts next-Jin, was just replying to you in regards to if i served or not

Prisoners don't get xbax. Troops is same, no xbax. Troops is prisoner. MS is jihad warden.

Back