Microsoft Activation Rant.

SKiTLz

2[H]4U
Well I wasn't aware that microsoft put its BS activation from xp into its office as well.

Im at work. I just through a second hard drive in on the second channel to copy some stuff of for 5 min. Removed it and rebooted, and guess what... Microsoft detects a significant change to my PC and wants me to reactive.

Fuck off. Thats bs. It's my PC and I have to reactive over something like that?

Why dont we all just lease our PC's from microsoft instead. Some of you may say "just activate it, doesnt take long"

That's not the point. Having to activate over this type of thing is complete bulshit. Not only that but when your in a business environment it can take awhile before you get the credentials together to activate it.

Meanwhile I cant do shit because Office is running in "limited" mode.

Anyone sense anger in my post?

It's a pain in the ass, and I've been against it from the start ( all it's doing is penalizing their honest customers. Those that want to steal will steal the non-activation version ), you can call them up and get it reactivated, no problem.

I know, because I spent a little over 2 months calling to reactivate my copy, once per day.

Originally posted by XOR != OR
all it's doing is penalizing their honest customers. Those that want to steal will steal the non-activation version

Exaclty. Im not sure who they think there stopping with the ubber protection schemes that are cracked within 15min of being released.

For every geek that comes up with the next protection scam (i mean scheme) theres a smarter geek cracking it within the first day. We all see that. Why cant the software companies.

Im all for protection and registration, but not at the extend microsoft likes and not when it makes my bought product feel like im renting or using an internet cafe.

Anywho, off to reactive, enough of my rant.

One last thing. Since when is a second HDD for 15min a Quote "Significant Change".. They've obviously never met anyone using a pc for more than 2 months.

I'm all for legitimately liscensing my software. But I have no qualms about using a slightly "less than legit" version if I've paid for the real thing.

Originally posted by Acceptable_Risk
I'm all for legitimately liscensing my software. But I have no qualms about using a slightly "less than legit" version if I've paid for the real thing.
I'm kind of pissed that I bought a copy of XP Home but that I can't use it with a second PC that I own, instead I have to buy one of those COA stickers which are like $60. I remember installing OS X on two Macs from the same CD, but it's a pain with Windows.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
I'm kind of pissed that I bought a copy of XP Home but that I can't use it with a second PC that I own, instead I have to buy one of those COA stickers which are like $60. I remember installing OS X on two Macs from the same CD, but it's a pain with Windows.
that's because it's illegal to install such an OS on two computers...be it XP, 2k, OS X, or whatever...unless you've got a site license or something.

Apple is less of a prick at it, I just don't like the activation thing very much since I did pay for it the CD, it's not like I'm putting it on several PC's or burning copies for my friends. I just think there should be some leway with how I choose to use something I buy. Personally I'm alittle anger that companies can dictate what I can and can not do with the stuff I buy.
<sarcasm> I though Microsoft was all about choice.</sarcasm>
Yeah I'll go out and get a site liscense for two home PC's:rolleyes:

it reactivated for a new HDD? :rolleyes:
good thing Im running W2K, I dynamically configure HDDs all the time, Migrated my RAID array again yesterday.

I wonder what kind on fits it would throw with an IDE Switcher?

Originally posted by Ice Czar
it reactivated for a new HDD? :rolleyes:
good thing Im running W2K, I dynamically configure HDDs all the time, Migrated my RAID array again yesterday.

I wonder what kind on fits it would throw with an IDE Switcher?

Yep. I was as shocked (or disgusted) as you.

I like the crack "microsoft is all about choices" .. :D.. There all about choices as long as your choice involves their software and their way.

On the microsoft bashing note. 2003 Server ENTERPRISE. Installed with OE & Netmeeting which cant be removed.

I always check my mail and do a little voice conferencing on my $10,000 Server. Don'tyou guys?

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
Apple is less of a prick at it, I just don't like the activation thing very much since I did pay for it the CD, it's not like I'm putting it on several PC's or burning copies for my friends. I just think there should be some leway with how I choose to use something I buy. Personally I'm alittle anger that companies can dictate what I can and can not do with the stuff I buy.
You aren't reading the EULA then.

You aren't paying for the CD or the software. You are paying for the right to use the software in a limited capacity, as dictated by them. Don't like the agreement, don't use the software.

Go to a computer show and buy a Corporate license. Problem solved. I get mine through work for $20, legally running at home. However, I've seen the same versions at computer shows for around $75.

And I wish someone would add a little common sense to this whole universal argument. Do you know why you have to activate software? Is it because Microsoft wants to be a giant prick? No....it's because of software pirates. Anyone ever go to India? You can $10,000 worth of software on one DVD for $5 on a street corner in broad daylight. I agree it's a pain in the ass, but if you take a moment to understand how a business works, how companies make money etc....you'll understand.

How would you feel if you spent 2 years writing a novel, and then after having it published you found a website allowing you to donload a PDF version for free?

Originally posted by djnes
Go to a computer show and buy a Corporate license. Problem solved. I get mine through work for $20, legally running at home. However, I've seen the same versions at computer shows for around $75.

And I wish someone would add a little common sense to this whole universal argument. Do you know why you have to activate software? Is it because Microsoft wants to be a giant prick? No....it's because of software pirates. Anyone ever go to India? You can $10,000 worth of software on one DVD for $5 on a street corner in broad daylight. I agree it's a pain in the ass, but if you take a moment to understand how a business works, how companies make money etc....you'll understand.

How would you feel if you spent 2 years writing a novel, and then after having it published you found a website allowing you to donload a PDF version for free?

Bother to read our posts? Were aware of why activation is there. Most also agree that activation and protection is a good thing. What you obviously didn't read is that there activation was cracked before it was even out.

It does nothing to stop the pirated copies, all it does is inconvience the folks that actually bought it. So no their activation has no purpose other than the sense of control since every change we make gives them a little more control.

"[Windows Product Activation] is an irritating control scheme that can ... require you contact Microsoft ... [to activate (unhinder)] XP's operation. Microsoft has promoted this new behavior as a means to reduce mass software piracy ... WPA is dependent on Wpa.dbl, a file stored in XP's System32 folder. This file is so easy for software counterfeiters to reproduce that it poses no barrier to them at all... WPA, in truth, wasn't designed to impede true pirates but to stop novice users from installing a second copy on a laptop or a child's PC."

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/10/22/011022oplivingston.xml

http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=piracy

Microsoft's History of Piracy enforcement in informative
only recently has it become a priority

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Bother to read our posts? Were aware of why activation is there. Most also agree that activation and protection is a good thing. What you obviously didn't read is that there activation was cracked before it was even out.

It does nothing to stop the pirated copies, all it does is inconvience the folks that actually bought it. So no their activation has no purpose other than the sense of control since every change we make gives them a little more control.

Bother to read my post? Go get the Corporate version so you don't have to do it. I gave you an answer. Besides, if this is a work PC, why would you even be doing the the activation anyway? They do Corporate licensing even down to very small numbers of clients.

Originally posted by djnes
Bother to read my post? Go get the Corporate version so you don't have to do it. I gave you an answer. Besides, if this is a work PC, why would you even be doing the the activation anyway? They do Corporate licensing even down to very small numbers of clients.

Corporate license was a suggestion. I didn't deny that. But your explanation of why activation is needed was wrong.

And thanks for pointing out my companies software license's. I was a little confused so I appreciate that.

Back