Microserver Alternative

FlangeMonkey

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I own two N40L Microservers and use one with FreeNAS, including 4x3TB WD Reds. I've just gone and bought 5x4TB WD Reds and stuck them on an LSI 9211-8i in the other N40L and been running it though its paces and comparing them side by side.

Its been an interesting experience, because of performance results, with some findings on my other N40L with the 4x3TB drives, such as there only running at 3Gbps with the stock SATA interfaces.

I am now considering the purchase of a 6th 4TB drive, but found that with 5 disks, the CPU is spiking to the 100% mark, baring in mind that the IRQ averaging 18% under load due to the LSI.

So should I now be considering an unexpected processor upgrade, in the form of a new server chaise?

Any suggestions on what could replace it?

What exactly are you doing or do you want to do?

Best thing you could possibly do is switch to a more powerful CPU and more RAM. Mini-itx systems are relatively inexpensive and you should be OK with spending a 2-300 for a QUALITY system if you need HEAVY CPU usage. This is only required if you are encoding/recoding files on the fly or have multiple gig trunks serving files to multiple users at the same time.

If you don't need much you can get away with an I5 or AMD equivalent with 8GB RAM and be done with it.

My Microserver NAS is running 16GB and isn't doing too much... Its a glorified media server with about 3 clients, but use the usual plugins such as BTSync and the rest. I could transcode with plex, but I use XBMC and don't have that need.

But that is a good suggestion, build a small box. Thinking out loud, I wonder if I can get a new board to in the Microserver... probably not as the processor would need to be semi passive or low in heat.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about the high CPU as that will only take a hit in IO. I wonder how the 6th disk will hit the CPU on the N40L.

Get one of these:

http://www.u-nas.com/product/nsc800.html

go for a nice mini-itx motherboard and I5 cpu, salvage half the ram, stick it in here. Use your old system as a backup for your new system.

Doesn't sound like you are Memory bound or networking bound. CPU is the problem and those lil systems come with a basic CPU and nothing more. You could almost go with a 4 or 8 core atom since you aren't doing a heckuva lot on the system.

Scratch previous question. Found the board I have and it's an Intel DH77DF, which turns out to be M-ITX. Thanks for mentioning the NSC-800, BD92! :D

Last edited:
Scratch previous question. Found the board I have and it's an Intel DH77DF, which turns out to be M-ITX. Thanks for mentioning the NSC-800, BD92! :D

YW. Let me know how it goes. Open up a new thread with your build details. I've heard nothing but good things about the case, but I'd like first hand info from a fellow [H]

you can replace your 2 Microservers with 1 of these Lenovo TS440 http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS440-70AQ0009UX-Computer/dp/B00ILH15DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415836334&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+ts440
great for a basic workstation or low-end server[drives and power have hot-swap, redundancy]

I'm going to go with NO.

That thing is a boat anchor. Why go from a small 12"x12" system to some monstrosity? Small/quieter can be better than going huge.

Also dual power supply(?) and hot swap drives all cost extra. Base unit you get 4GB and a quad core Xeon for $300 plus a 450W power supply. MEH.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those U-NAS chassis's look really nice, but expensive. Here in the UK they are something like 220 quid. I'm looking at cheaper alternatives, such as from fractal-design, but its without caddies :(.

The problem I'm having is finding a low TDP, the N40L is something like 15W, granted its low performance... the i5 I'm looking at i5-4440S is 65W although I am thinking of i5-4440 and downclocking it, to try and reduce max power consumption, but saying that I'd be unsure of success because the S is supposed to be optimal.

I still want low powered devices, but the i5-4440(S) gives me VT-d and 32GB, which appeals to me.

What processors are people using in there self-builds?

Those U-NAS chassis's look really nice, but expensive. Here in the UK they are something like 220 quid. I'm looking at cheaper alternatives, such as from fractal-design, but its without caddies :(.

IstarUSA has some great cheap cases I'm sure you can find. $200 for a case with caddies, hot swap backplane, and a power supply is a great deal.

The problem I'm having is finding a low TDP, the N40L is something like 15W, granted its low performance... the i5 I'm looking at i5-4440S is 65W although I am thinking of i5-4440 and downclocking it, to try and reduce max power consumption, but saying that I'd be unsure of success because the S is supposed to be optimal.

I still want low powered devices, but the i5-4440(S) gives me VT-d and 32GB, which appeals to me.

What processors are people using in there self-builds?

Drop down to an I3 then. You won't find much out there with a low power footprint and sporting 32GB of RAM. RAM requires Power to keep it going. If you use any more than 8GB in your future I'll be shocked.

CPU is your bottleneck, not RAM nor Networking. Don't get caught up in the need for MegaGigs of RAM. It's pointless. Unless you are running ZFS then it maters. I have an 8GB system with an 8 core AMD cpu and 24TB and runs UNRaid without issue streaming (over wireless) to multiple rooms as well as continuous rsync and bitorrent traffic. Doesn't even budge past 4GB and 1% CPU usage.

I did look at the i3's but they don't support VT-d. Which isn't a deal breaker, but with such a setup I'd virtual the NAS and pass-though my LSI. This will then allow me to take 16GB for ZFS and an amount to other VM's. Like I say its not a deal breaker, because of FreeBSD jails, but I can then take advantage of the technology.

I am indeed running ZFS, but did glance at the AMD offerings and there are some low energy processors out there, weather they compare to the i3 or not is another question. I'm open to suggestions...

I like the look of these IstarUSA cases... I'm just looking at them now and have to see what I can get here...

Thanks,

Edit: Grrr... I really like these IstarUSA cases and you can buy the caddies for about $100ish, but I cannot get them in the UK...

Last edited:
Didn't realize at the time that the u-nas box required a separate 1U wired PSU. This is a bit of a turn off as 1U PSU fans tend to be very, VERY irritating. Of course I have quite a few spare 1U PSU modules, but they're of the hot swap variety. Despite the DS380 needing a SFX PSU (pity, I have a spare ATX12V) I'm leaning towards that now.

Back