MicroSD card suddenly write protected?

badcookies

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
1,674
hi [H], im not sure where to post this so feel free to move.

so i use a 8gb microsd on a kingston microsd-usb reader as a usb thumb drive. something like this. this does NOT have a write protect switch like sd card adapters that come packaged with most microsd cards.

anyway, i've been using firefox portable on my microsd for months now and today, all of sudden, pages wont load and it turns out i can only read but cannot write onto the microsd. i use this mostly in a work environment (on win XPSP2) so i thought maybe IT disabled flash drives but i attached my blackberry (which acts as a removable storage device all the same) and it writes just fine. thus, eliminating that possibility.

i google this and most the results i find just say to flip the write protect switch....which does me no good because im not using an adapter. i tried the card on other PCs running linux and xp alike and it keeps saying its a read only disk.

so anyone run into this and/or know what i can do or should do? :( halp!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you see the file?

Right click on the file, and you should be able to uncheck the "read only" and make changes.
 
i can see all the files and the option is there to uncheck read only. however its squared (indicating custom rules?) and neither clear or checked. when i hit apply or ok, it'll give me an error saying the attribute cannot be written.
 
I get this problem all the time too. I had 4 adata sd cards which all had this issue. well I at first thought it was the sd card, because I was confident in the supertalent card reader I was using. After using the sd card in my camera without a problem (it wrote a picture to the sd card, so the card worked), I replaced the card reader accordingly (RMA'd). after a month the same issue happened. I purchased a usb transend card reader as a seconday since I wanted another card reader. the issue came back only on the supertalent card reader, the trancend one read the sd card fine. I smashed the supertalent card reader and purchased a nmediapc card reader and no issues recognizing the card. after a year's use the adata sd card became entirely useless (could not format or recognize the card) so I rma'd all 4 sd cards (they all had the same issue).

My advice to you would be to scrap your micro sd card reader and get a new one. if the blackberry works with the microsd card the card reader died. Card readers are only good if you don't buy the cheapest ones, unfortunately.

On other note, after dealing with adata, they gave me replacement cards because they claim a "lifetime warranty," which is total bullshit since theie sd cards mainly last a year at most, and benchmarked them. I happened to have one working 2007 adata 2gb sd card so I benched that one as well. the old 2gb card got 17mb/s write and the new 2gb sd card got 11mb/s write. I was pissed. both cards were rated "150x". I used crystalmark. If you want the benches, I have them.

Never again Adata, never again.
 
thanks for sharing your story. fortunately i havent had a need to use the cards more than reading as of late but i will be getting new/better reader. the kingston reader i have is rather cheap i must admit but i figured its cuz it was itty bitty.

anyone have any thoughts on a reader like this? i know meritline isnt all that great but i cant seem to find a reader this tiny anywhere else.
 
Back
Top