Microphone Suggestions

Valaire

Gawd
Hey, I was looking to see if there is a mic that fits my needs. I use 5.1 speakers while gaming and have absolutely no need for a headset. Right now I use an 18 dollar set of plantronics which work fine as far as the mic goes, but I have to wear the headset around my neck and stick the mic up to my mouth which results in a severe neck ache after awhile.

I am now ready to spend more money for better comfort. Going to be using mic primarily for gaming and would like something that is potentially cordless (bluetooth?) but does NOT include a speaker or stereo speaker headset.

I have had difficulty finding a mic that fits on the head but is only a microphone. I don't want to end up with something like the XBOX Live headset that has a speaker resting on one ear because that can hamper me when trying to listen to sounds from 5.1 speakers. I don't think I'd consider a desktop mic because those just seem too impractical for gaming.

Any ideas?

lapel style mic should work perfect for ya. for gaming purposes, any will do so just hit up google and grab one in your budget.

A lapel mic would pick up a lot of feedback from your speakers. Maybe someone knows of a solution on how to apply a filter so that the sound from the speakers doesn't get played again when it is picked up through a label mic. For a lapel mic recommendation, go to Best buy and pick up an Audio Technica one. It's about $30, but I think it is a high quality mic. I use it with some headphones for voice enabled gaming.

Yeah, it would be important to have some noice cancelling feature so it does not pick up noise from my speakers. Is that generally a problem with lapel style mics instead of hanging-from-ear mics? I have no experience with lapel mics. Thanks!

there are plenty of headworn mics out there that will fit your needs... what you are looking for is called a headworn mic... there are tons of them out there..... if you really want amazing sound go with a countryman... but for gaming and stuff such as that this should fit your needs... i would get one with a uni instead of an omni mic so talkback will be less of an issue ... this one is a bit pricy but it is what you are looking for... alot of them out there come with a 4 pin mini XLR connector made to hook up to wireless mic packs so make sure you get an adapter or a solder iron to change that... this one comes with a 1/4 TRS... http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/cat/id=1004026094

All mics will pick up crossfeed unless you have a machine (expensive) that can filter it out or the mic and speakers is part of a set that works together. Lapel style mics are the most comfortable and probably have the widest dynamic range are usually omnidirectional and tend to pick up a lot of noise especially if you want to use your speakers. I use a headphone which gives me just as great sound positioning without leaking out too much sound. The mics that are typically on a boom tend to work better with open speakers since those are tuned to a lower sensitivity and are usually unidirectional. The only problem is that you have to have the mic within a few inches from your mouth, otherwise it doesn't pick up sound. All I can say, is buy one and try. At a budget of $100, most mics will be about the same. I'm looking into building a module to cancel out the endless loop that occurs when using a mic and speaker set.

Back