Microphone problems in game only

XHair

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
181
I use Ventrilo when I am playing Team Fortress 2 with my brother.
Before I load Team Fortress 2, I can talk on Ventrilo without any problems.
Once I join a Team Fortress 2 game I only output a very, very obnoxious static noise. It's not the least bit coherent, it's just total static.

I have not noticed the problem anywhere else, but it always happens when I try to play Team Fortress 2. It also happens for Counter-Strike Source. Having the steam application open does not affect the situation, I have to be in game.


I've tried three microphones - no change.
I tried reinstalling my onboard sound drivers for my eVGA 650i ultra motherboard - no change.
I have Windows Vista 64bit Business edition.


Any help would be greatly appreciated, I bought a new microphone hoping to fix the problem!
 
Try other programs/games that are not from Steam. It sounds like your mic is not being recognized by the computer once you open the game.

Can you run TF2, alt+tab, and speak into Vent? Or is it only when TF2 is open?
 
When I loaded Civ IV, everything worked fine. For about 10 seconds it produced static after I first loaded the save, after that it was fine. Then after about 1 minute in game it turns to permanent static. It's static right now as I'm typing this and I'm not in any game.
I closed Winamp and nothing happened.
I closed MSN and it produced the static went away.
I loaded CIV IV again and at the first first load up it turned back to static.
I loaded CIV IV again a short while later and my output became clear again once I started loading a save file.
I double clicked the link to load Guild Wars and now it's making static.
About 15 seconds after I closed the Guild Wars window the static is gone.
After double clicking on guild wars and waiting about 3 seconds it turned back to static.
I tried using voice recognition and that failed too. In fact it wouldn't stop transmitting static.
It'll work sometimes, and then cut to static on non-push to talk.

As soon as Sins of a Solar Empire gets to the main menu, it cuts to static.
I alt-tabbed and now I can talk while within SOSE.
When I closed SOSE and tried talking it turned to static. About 15 seconds later, everything was normal again.

I loaded STEAM and it turns to static. I waited about 1 minute and the mic was fine. I tried loading and reloading some save files in Half-Life 2 (the actual game) and it only staticed for about 10 seconds right after the second load.
After closing HL2 everything turned to static..It's still going after about 60 seconds.



I'll try more later!
 
Back
Top