Microphone options

p3sty

2[H]4U
First I was looking at a blue microphone and I see that they only have usb . I have an EVGA nu sound card I don’t like running multiple programs just for sound . Thoughts options?

Uh, USB microphones don't need 'programs'. They don't even come with them! The drives are all built in to modern operating systems. Plug in and use.

The only thing I'd plug into a sound card would be a headset mic.

First I was looking at a blue microphone and I see that they only have usb . I have an EVGA nu sound card I don’t like running multiple programs just for sound . Thoughts options?

What are you using it for? If it's voice chat don't use desk standing microphones. Everyone will hate you because they'll hear you typing, mouse clicking, and all sorts of background noise.

What are you using it for? If it's voice chat don't use desk standing microphones. Everyone will hate you because they'll hear you typing, mouse clicking, and all sorts of background noise.
There are... basically two good choices if you're going to use it while gaming: either a) get a headset mic, or b), get a real dynamic mic, a real audio interface, and a boom arm for the thing.

Option two can be had for probably ~US$250, assuming decent choices for each part. Less if buying used and penny-pinching, and orders of magnitude more if you happen to get G.A.S along the way...

I just picked me up hd650’s luv them . My mic suks was looking at a blue yeti aster thoughts?

blue yeti aster
Basically, these condenser microphones will pick up all the noise in the room. Use them just for talking in a well-treated room (basically a studio), good!

Use them in an untreated room with keyboard and mouse noise... less good.

That's the main reason that headset mics are good, as they can be dynamic instead of condensor, and thus reject a lot of noise.

There are several types of desktop microphones. An omnidirectional mic will indeed pick everything up. A cardioid microphone will suppress sound from behind and the sides.

Back