• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Microphone for surround-sound setups?

A Shiny Demon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
249
I have a custom surround setup (currently quadraphonic, will be 5.1 once I get a center speaker and finish the sub enclosure, but that's irrelevant). I want to know what kinds of mics people use for surround setups.

I currently use an old headset, draping the headband around the back of my neck so the drivers are off my ears and pointing the mic up toward my face, but this is not a great permanent solution.

I've considered going with a bluetooth headset, but those almost always plug one ear and defeat the purpose of buying $400 worth of speakers. Is there a good bluetooth mic that would go on a shirt collar or something similar, preferably for around $50? Mic quality isn't all that important, mostly convenience; I'll mostly be using it for in-game voicechat. Also, do I need to worry about feedback? I know occasionally in TF2 and CS:S, you can hear an "echo" in voicechat because people use the mic and speakers built into a laptop.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.
 
You might want to try a zalman zm-mic... It's not the greatest audio quality per say, but it's fairly popular dependable mic for most peeps, and for all of $5, theres not much to lose..
 
Yeah, you need to worry about feedback. With stereo, you can invert the phase of one of the channels to produce an out-of-phase signal at your position, which will eliminate most of the "echo", but there's no chance of doing something like that with a quad or 5.1 setup. The best chance you have is to buy a mic that you're able to get very close to your mouth and to be religious about not holding the talk key.

A shirt-collar mic (a lavalier mic) might be alright, but you're better off with a headband mic like DPA's 4088, which is expensive, but is the only headband I've actually used in the field (and the only one I can really comment on -- it's a fucking fantastic mic). This'll let you get the mic closer to your mouth so you don't annoy the hell out of me when I hear "fire in the hole" every damn time you talk :)
 
Back
Top