• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Micron or Infineon?

pibrahim

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
193
Howdy all,

Am looking at getting some new RAM and was choosing between:

-2GB Team Xtreem Cronus 3-3-2-8 (Infineon)
and
-2GB Team Xtreem Cronus 3-3-3-8 (Micron)

Can someone explain the difference between Infineon and Micron? The Micron is more expensive yet has the lower latencies - if the former the one to plump for? Was it Micron memory used in Crucial Ballistix..?
 
From the review(s) I've seen, the Micron-F comes close to DDR600 consistently, usually 3-3-3. OPB posted his mini-review of the Infineon, which doesn't clock as high but keeps 2.5-3-2 timings well over DDR500. I think it peaked around DDR520, give or take. Also, it works on ridiculously low voltages, meaning it doesn't get hot at all.
 
Ah, so am I right in thinking that it's a compromise either way?

i.e. the Infineon can't hit 300 (so I won't be able to run 1:1)
but
the Micron, at lower FSB, will have slightly worse latencies than the Infineon would?
 
mavalpha said:
From the review(s) I've seen, the Micron-F comes close to DDR600 consistently, usually 3-3-3. OPB posted his mini-review of the Infineon, which doesn't clock as high but keeps 2.5-3-2 timings well over DDR500. I think it peaked around DDR520, give or take. Also, it works on ridiculously low voltages, meaning it doesn't get hot at all.
sadly handpicked ;)

most people seem to be getting around 270-275mhz with the micron cronus sticks.

edit: for all practical purposes, they're the same performance. trp 2 vs 3 doesn't do a whole lot, but neither does 5-10mhz
 
If I want to run at 245 (5/6 divider of 300), would the Infineon be the way to go then?

I notice in the review you guys refer to, he's got his Micron running at 250/2.5-3-2-0, but if it's handpicked then it's hard to read much into it...
 
Good grief, looking at the TankGuys forum, there's no chance I'm getting Team Xtreem Microns - looks like people are having very little success with them in general! Not sure about the Infineons right now..
 
pibrahim said:
Good grief, looking at the TankGuys forum, there's no chance I'm getting Team Xtreem Microns - looks like people are having very little success with them in general! Not sure about the Infineons right now..

I hear you. It's really a tough call right now. On the one hand, I'm hesitant to recommend the Cronus Microns too (I even said so in another thread here). There have indeed been some complaints about it, and one need only look at our forum, as you mentioned, to see this.

On the other hand, we've sold over 100 sets of the Micron and Infineon based Cronus sticks. So when you consider that, it doesn't look quite as bad. This means there are either a lot of happy customers, or a lot of people who are equally dissapointed, but not posting. Who knows which is the case? :confused:
 
TankGuys said:
On the other hand, we've sold over 100 sets of the Micron and Infineon based Cronus sticks. So when you consider that, it doesn't look quite as bad. This means there are either a lot of happy customers, or a lot of people who are equally dissapointed, but not posting. Who knows which is the case? :confused:
You could offer some sort of incentive to people who've already bought these in return for their reviews, maybe 2-3% off a future purchase?
 
Hey TankGuy (Ben?) - have many people had problems with the Infineons? Or is it mainly with the Micron-based RAM?

I also noticed you mentioned something on your forums about whether or not continuing to stock Team Xtreem stuff (if I read that right) - presumably you're sticking with them for the time being?
 
The problem is if they run at the Speed they Package them @ you out of Luck with RMA, They only rate them @ DDR 500 so Overclocking them is not part of the warrenty on these IC's. I have been waiting for everybody to test them out too before i bought in to the Hand Picked HYPE of Speeds and it seems thats what it was Hand Picked HYPE.

Sure you do have a chance to get say DDR 550 or faster but it seems pretty Slim right now.

Maybe (cf)Eclipse knows how the temps are on these IC's he knows alot about Micron, i have not heard alot about temps these are running, I hope everybody that buys these gets a good OC, It would be nice to see some KILLER IC's right now in the 2x1 Gig market. :D
 
Ideally, I'm waiting for a mass of opinions on the Xtreem stuff. The isolated 'proper' reviews where the company supplies the RAM mean absolutely nothing - there's cherry-picking and then there's cherry-picking... and it's being done to the point of ludicrousness. Unfortunately, it takes time for everyone else to take the plunge and post all their opinions...

All part of the waiting game :-/
 
pibrahim said:
Hey TankGuy (Ben?) - have many people had problems with the Infineons? Or is it mainly with the Micron-based RAM?

I also noticed you mentioned something on your forums about whether or not continuing to stock Team Xtreem stuff (if I read that right) - presumably you're sticking with them for the time being?

Roughly equal, from what I can tell.

We're still going to carry them - for now. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, to see if they can fix the issues.
 
I'll bet the micron ones have trouble because of all the current they draw.

See, it is not always about voltage, that is only half the story really...

micron performance RAM like the ballistix draw a huge amount of current and only work in certain boards... I am sure these are similar...

remember, it is current that makes them hot not volts. and they get HOT. if the motherboard cannot provide the current then that is why all the trouble.
 
hmmm, i'd actually have to vote infineon, though i'll hold firm and solid judgement until i compare both myself ;)

Ben, about how many people have complained of the ~200 people they have gone out to?
 
I also posted on another thread here, and my results at the TankGuys forums (I'd like to see more people post results... for the benefit of the art and science of the OC:)

I'd just like to say that I had the newest .16TD1 revision of the Ballistix and they ran nice and cool at 2.8v and 270. Not as hot as the older Ballistix which my buddy had and NEEDED serious active cooling.

These Team Microns seem to be the same as the new Ballistix revision though they are F die and not the D dies as has been pointed out.

For the record I run them at 260 33377 @2.66v and 318HTTx9, I think this is the 166 divider. 1T command. Even at 275 and 2.8v I do not have heat issues and don't need active cooling, even after seriously long sessions of benching and gaming.

Like Ben said, without more people posting results its difficult to say just where average is, so far it looks like I've lucked out. Since these Team modules and my 2.866GHz Opty 165 (on AIR) both came from TankGuys, I seem to have good luck, or Ben just gets good shiizt. Either way, they have my biz...

Cheers!
TeamMicronScreenies
 
i have somewhat special micron sticks, but for now, i'm standing by teamgroup's ram, despite the troubles that a lot of people are having. they're somewhat new. give them a chance to do what we all initially expected :D

tankguys is awesome too, but i'll get into that later, when i show you guys what Ben has been kind enough to help me with.. something that should settle a few issues in my mind, and hopefully prove a few things to some people ;)
 
Hey guys, I just purchased the Micron sticks myself this week. They should arrive tomorrow (10/14). I will post my results with OCing and stuff once my replacement mobo shows up (My DD pump came with a very slow leak...ugh). So I'll update when the board arrives Monday or Tuesday.

Opteron 144 CABNE
Team Extreem Cronus 2GB Micron
Biostar Tforce 6100-939
 
Back
Top