• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Microcenters $199 i7 920

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
7,128
How did they manage to have the price so low so early? even now they still have this price while Amazon and Newegg have them at msrp or above...

Just wondering...
 
They eat the loss on the cpu's and make it back by people buying the rest in store (board, ram, HD, gpu, case, etc). Or at least that's the rumor/consensus... :eek:
 
This price is not new. It has been this low for like 2-3 months. I bought my 920 from Micro Center.
 
They eat the loss on the cpu's and make it back by people buying the rest in store (board, ram, HD, gpu, case, etc). Or at least that's the rumor/consensus... :eek:

That's exactly what a MC employee said in this very forum when the LGA1156 stuff was coming out.
 
it works. That's why it's in-store pickup only. I bought my 920 there, and since I was there I picked up some ram, new fans, a new heatsink, and lots of other crap they can make big margins on. It still came out cheaper than newegg or tigerdirect before shipping.
 
I remember when they had the Q6600 for $199, that's when I bought mine. I saved a few bucks over buying it from newegg, but I'd never do it again as the nearest one is about 70 miles away. I just got caught up in the excitement. Next time I'll just pay an additional $20 or so (about what I ended up saving after fuel costs were factored in) and just order it from newegg and do something more useful with my time, like take a nap, pick my nose, hold my breath, anything would have been more productive than a 140mile round trip.
 
Back
Top