Microcenter tustin CA

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I am looking for a family member does anyone have any information on what the deal with this store is. They pretty much always say the 4690K is sold out. Do they just purposely not stock it because they don't want people to get the deal? Or is it really instock if you goto the store and bug them?

Do they give people a hard time if they buy only a CPU? I was thinking of taking my first trip down to one (NY) since I'm in a jam. It's 40 miles away. It would suck to go there for nothing. I almost feel bad seeing as it may be a loss leader, but I'm sure I'll be a repeat customer at some point. Like the next time I need something, and don't want to wait. If it's not my cpu, I will be going back to buy RAM!

Do they give people a hard time if they buy only a CPU?
Customer: "Hi, I'll take an i7-4790K."

Microcenter: "Anything else?"

Customer: "Nope, just that."

Microcenter: "F YOU RETARD YOU SUCK GET THE HELL OUT OF MY STORE BEFORE I CALL THE COPS!! SECURITY!!!"

No, they don't do this. If you buy a processor, they will smile and ring you up and charge you and put it in a bag and say "have a nice day" and you leave with your processor.

Note: they also do this if you buy a keychain or other virtually zero cost item.

I am looking for a family member does anyone have any information on what the deal with this store is. They pretty much always say the 4690K is sold out. Do they just purposely not stock it because they don't want people to get the deal? Or is it really instock if you goto the store and bug them?

I believe they struck a deal with Fry's and Best Buy. Because of Fry's and Best Buy price match terms, they would have to price match with Microcenter if it showed in stock. But since they show it as perpetually out of stock, Fry's and Best Buy and others don't have to price match. Mostly Fry's. Shady as hell, but can't do anything about it.

I doubt that if you go to the store to buy it, you will have an issue getting it.

Microcenter: "F YOU RETARD YOU SUCK GET THE HELL OUT OF MY STORE BEFORE I CALL THE COPS!! SECURITY!!!"

No, they don't do this. If you buy a processor, they will smile and ring you up and charge you and put it in a bag and say "have a nice day" and you leave with your processor.

Note: they also do this if you buy a keychain or other virtually zero cost item.

Sure, they don't throw you out. However, my experience with the store in Westbury, NY was not as straight forward and pleasant as you make it sound either.

These loss leader items are in a locked case. You need to get someone to get one out of the case before you can make the purchase. They use a personal shopper approach, so all employees were busy walking customers around the store. It took 30 minutes of standing around waiting for one to become available. There were three other customers also waiting for the processor. Lot's of tension as everyone jockeyed to be the next lucky customer to get attention. There were several employees standing behind a repair desk that simply said they could not help. They were doing nothing.

After a heated exchange with another customer who tried to jump the line, I managed to get an employee to open the case and retrieve the processor. The other three customers waiting for the same thing were ignored as he locked the case back up. He then proceeded to try a hard sell on everything else, even though I was clear with him that I had already purchased everything else I need and only want the processor.

Next, he brings the processor up the customer service desk tagged with my name. I guess it would be too much trouble to actually hand it to me and let me take it to the register. I now have to stand in the customer service line to "pick up" the processor. Another 20 minutes. I am then given the part and sent off to the register for another 5 minute wait.

I've made two trips there. While the story above is specific to one of those trips, the other was only marginally better. Same general experience but I only had to wait 15 minutes to get the case opened and the customer service line was faster as well.

Given that it takes 45 minutes to drive there, assuming no traffic, I think I'd rather spend a little extra and shop online.

This is why I asked if people know, not if you happen to think you know how it works. They aren't going to call the cops obviously but there are stores that are known to try to not honor their prices. Not much different than how newegg magically runs out of stock on sales really fast only to have a miraculous recover of stock 2 hours after the sale ends.

It seems I have found my answer

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsal...a_so_the_micro_center_in_tustin_doesnt_honor/

It's no problem we can play the game easy, go to store grab a $400 gaming case and a really nice PSU and throw it in the cart . Then tell the sales associate you want the 4690K and combo motherboard. He easily honors the online price and prints you up the ticket to pick up the CPU. Then when you get to the cashier you throw all the other stuff out of the cart. Or if the sales man stalks you all the way up you just buy it then walk back in the door and return the case and PSU at customer service.

BTW we aren't even talking about their super deals. Sometimes they will drop the price on a 4690K to $180 and have $60 off mobos. We are just talking about their run of the mill $200 CPU and $40 off mobos here.

OP, I have not had any bad experiences at Microcenter regarding bundled prices. I've picked the the bundle mentioned in the reddit you posted. three times in fact. The just handed the parts over with a smile. I've picked other bundles and all with no issues. I am talking about the Paterson NJ store, BTW. Is this a store specific issue? It looks a bit of paranoia as well.

The only issue I've had getting a CPU is finding someone to open the case. Getting them to tell me where the supermicro boards where is another story

I've had no issues buying online & then picking up. You go right to customer service & everything is already pulled.

This is a store specific question which is why I specifically put the store in the title. I am from MI which means I have never been to the Tustin CA store, as said, I am trying to help out someone. We just noticed that store lists what is one of the most popular CPUs as out of stock for a while and I found that hard to believe. Reddit shows this seems to have been going on for many months now. I just didn't want to send someone all the way over there to find out no one ever gets the deal. Which is why I needed specific real world anecdotes from people who have been to that store.

For the record the store in MI honors the deal. Actually one time I bought a deal the guy in front of me loaded up every CPU they had on deal and several motherboards and even a combo $20 HDD and walked out and they let him, they must have lost $500 or so on him.

I live about 10 minutes from Tustin store. They usually show it is out of stock online (or at the sale price) but when I go in, there are several in the glass case... about $20 more than the online price. I bought my 4790k a few weeks ago and still got the $249 price I would have argued with the sales kid but he didn't fight me when I said it was 249... it came up that price when he put it in the quote (you get the quote then walk up to register to pay and the cashier grapes the CPU from the pick up window).

Hope this helps, but with Tustin store, you have to go inside to see in person and be ready with the online price.

This is a store specific question which is why I specifically put the store in the title. I am from MI which means I have never been to the Tustin CA store, as said, I am trying to help out someone. We just noticed that store lists what is one of the most popular CPUs as out of stock for a while and I found that hard to believe. Reddit shows this seems to have been going on for many months now. I just didn't want to send someone all the way over there to find out no one ever gets the deal. Which is why I needed specific real world anecdotes from people who have been to that store.

For the record the store in MI honors the deal. Actually one time I bought a deal the guy in front of me loaded up every CPU they had on deal and several motherboards and even a combo $20 HDD and walked out and they let him, they must have lost $500 or so on him.

Like I said, it's all about Fry's and preventing price matching from occurring.

Customer: Good Morning.
Sales Guy: Good morning, Sir. Welcome to Microcenter!
Customer: Ah, thank you, my good man.
Sales Guy: What can I do for you, Sir?
Customer: Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through "Scouting For Boys" by Robert Stephenson Smythe Baden-Powell, and I suddenly came over all upgradish.
Sales Guy: Upgradeish, sir?
Customer: Slowish in the processor area.
Sales Guy: Eh?
Customer: 'Ee, Ah won mor speed!
Sales Guy: Ah, faster processor!
Customer: In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, "a little Core i5 should do the trick," so, I curtailed my Scouting activites, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some silicon semiconductery!
Sales Guy: Come again?
Customer: I want to buy a chip.
Sales Guy: Oh, I thought you were complaining about the bazouki player!
Customer: Oh, heaven forbid: I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse!
Sales Guy: Sorry?
Customer: 'Ooo, Ah lahk a nice tuune, 'yer forced too!
Sales Guy: So he can go on playing, can he?
Customer: Most certainly! Now then, a new CPU please, my good man.
Sales Guy: (lustily) Certainly, sir. What would you like?
Customer: Well, eh, how about a little 4690K.
Sales Guy: I'm, a-fraid we're fresh out of 4690K, sir.
Customer: Oh, never mind, how are you on just a 4690, hold the K?
Sales Guy: I'm afraid we never have that at the end of the week, sir, we get it fresh on Monday.
Customer: Tish tish. No matter. Well, stout yeoman, i5-4670, if you please.
Sales Guy: Ah! It's beeeen on order, sir, for two weeks. Was expecting it this morning.
Customer: 'T's Not my lucky day, is it? Aah, 4590?
Sales Guy: Sorry, sir.
Customer: 4590r?
Sales Guy: Normally, sir, yes. Today the van broke down.
Customer: Ah. 4570?
Sales Guy: Sorry.
Customer: 4570T? 4570S?
Sales Guy: No.
Customer: Any 4460, per chance.
Customer: Any i5?
Customer: i7?
Customer: i3?
Customer: Celeron?
Customer: Pentium, perhaps?
Sales Guy: Ah! We have a Pentium Dual Core, yessir.
Customer: (suprised) You do! Excellent.
Sales Guy: Yessir. It's..ah,.....it's a bit runny...
Customer: Oh, I like it runny.
Sales Guy: Well,.. It's very runny, actually, sir.
Customer: No matter. Fetch hither the Dual Core Pentium from Malaysia! Mmmwah!
Sales Guy: I...think it's a bit runnier than you'll like it, sir.
Customer: I don't care how blinking runny it is. Hand it over with all speed.
Sales Guy: Oooooooooohhh........!
Customer: What now?
Sales Guy: The cat's eaten it.
Customer: Has he.
Sales Guy: She, sir.
(pause)
Customer: AMD FX?
Customer: You...do *have* some CPU's, don't you?
Sales Guy: (brightly) Of course, sir. It's a Microcenter shop, sir. We've got--
Customer: No no... don't tell me. I'm keen to guess.
Sales Guy: Fair enough.
Customer: Uuuuuh, Sempron.
Sales Guy: Yes?
Customer: Ah, well, I'll have some of that!
Sales Guy: Oh! I thought you were talking to me, sir. Mister Sempron, that's my name.
(pause)
Customer: Aah, how about Athlon?
Sales Guy: Well, we don't get much call for it around here, sir.
Customer: Not much ca--It's the single most popular CPU in the world!
Sales Guy: Not 'round here, sir.
Customer: and what IS the most popular CPU 'round hyah?
Sales Guy: 'ARM, sir.
Customer: IS it.
Sales Guy: Oh, yes, it's staggeringly popular in this manusquire.
Customer: Is it.
Sales Guy: It's our number one best seller, sir!
Customer: I see. Uuh...'ARM, eh?
Sales Guy: Right, sir.
Customer: All right. Okay.+
'Have you got any?' he asked, expecting the answer 'no'.
Sales Guy: I'll have a look, sir... nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.
Customer: It's not much of a Computer Parts Shop, is it?
Sales Guy: Finest in the district!
Customer: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.
Sales Guy: Well, it's so clean, sir!
Customer: It's certainly uncontaminated by CPU's....
Sales Guy: (brightly) You haven't asked me about GPU's, sir.
Customer: Would it be worth it?
Sales Guy: Could be....
Customer: Have you --SHUT THAT BLINKING BAZOUKI OFF!
Sales Guy: Told you sir....
Customer: (slowly) Have you got any NVIDIA GPU's?
Customer: Figures. Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place. Tell me:
Sales Guy: Yessir?
Customer: (deliberately) Have you in fact got any parts here at all?
Sales Guy: Yes,sir.
Customer: Really?
(pause)
Sales Guy: No. Not really, sir.
Customer: You haven't.+
Sales Guy: Nosir. Not a scrap. I was deliberately wasting your time,sir
Customer: Well I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to shoot you.
Sales Guy: Right-O, sir.
The Customert takes out a gun and shoots the Sales Guy.
Customer: What a *senseless* waste of human life.

I've had no issues buying online & then picking up. You go right to customer service & everything is already pulled.

This. Order and pay online, then go to the store to collect. It's called the 18 min window for a reason. Piss on that chase a fellow down to unlock the case crap.

images_18min_pickup_banner.gif

This. Order and pay online, then go to the store to collect. It's called the 18 min window for a reason. Piss on that chase a fellow down to unlock the case crap.

images_18min_pickup_banner.gif

You didn't even read the thread you cant order something online that says out of stock online

You didn't even read the thread you cant order something online that says out of stock online

Yeah, I got that. My reply was more facilitated at smithkt's. If they don't have it, they don't have it, order it somewhere else.

Tell you what, they have 10 in stock at the KC store, find someone to get it at another facility. It wouldn't be the first time I got a fellow HOCP'r a cpu and mailed it.

Sure, they don't throw you out. However, my experience with the store in Westbury, NY was not as straight forward and pleasant as you make it sound either.
Comparing a store in the OC to a store in NY is like comparing oranges to apples. :D

is everyone ignoring that monty python reference or are you guys really that young :|

These loss leader items are in a locked case. You need to get someone to get one out of the case before you can make the purchase. They use a personal shopper approach, so all employees were busy walking customers around the store. It took 30 minutes of standing around waiting for one to become available. There were three other customers also waiting for the processor. Lot's of tension as everyone jockeyed to be the next lucky customer to get attention. There were several employees standing behind a repair desk that simply said they could not help. They were doing nothing.

After a heated exchange with another customer who tried to jump the line, I managed to get an employee to open the case and retrieve the processor. The other three customers waiting for the same thing were ignored as he locked the case back up. He then proceeded to try a hard sell on everything else, even though I was clear with him that I had already purchased everything else I need and only want the processor.

Next, he brings the processor up the customer service desk tagged with my name. I guess it would be too much trouble to actually hand it to me and let me take it to the register. I now have to stand in the customer service line to "pick up" the processor. Another 20 minutes. I am then given the part and sent off to the register for another 5 minute wait.

I've made two trips there. While the story above is specific to one of those trips, the other was only marginally better. Same general experience but I only had to wait 15 minutes to get the case opened and the customer service line was faster as well.

Given that it takes 45 minutes to drive there, assuming no traffic, I think I'd rather spend a little extra and shop online.

Try a price match. I got a Frys to do it (only at $200). IMO probably not worth the gas money and time to save $20, if that.

Does frys price match the $40-60 motherboard combo discount?

Back