Microcenter question

ematsui

Weaksauce
I am planning on buying some new components (mobo/cpu/memory) and was wondering how MIcrocenters in-store selection and prices compare to major sites like Newegg,etc?

Im looking to possibly get an i7 and didnt want to make a 1 hr trip to the store without knowing what im getting into.. thanks for any info.

Yea, the CPUs are pretty much loss leaders to get you in the store - they really want you to buy the board, memory, hd other things for a build. Overall pretty nice selection, kind of a mini-newegg. They match newegg pricing (printout) but will add the newegg stated shipping costs if any. Just remember they do charge tax. There might be a state or two they don't, not sure.

thanks for the info, they have a strange site, I can never search for cpu's

You can just google "processor name and microcenter", ie; "i7 930 and microcenter", and it'll generally the first link.

thanks for the info, they have a strange site, I can never search for cpu's

I think the best way to search would be to select the store location near you first and then type in the cpu you are looking for for example "i5". You can then use the choices on the left side to filter the results and you should see stock numbers for the store you selected.

Yep, I bought my i7 920 at MicroCenter ($215 after tax) and everything else at NewEgg, too! :D

I'm willing to pay a little more for components at MC, because it's only 2hr round trip if something is bad.... newegg/amazon/etc send something bad/dead/dying, it's a turnaround time.

As others have said, Microcenter has the best price on CPUs. Other items are hit or miss.

thanks for the input guys, it looks like its definitley at least worth a trip to check it out

I have been following eBay lately. It seems just about every day you can get an i7 920 shipped for $220 or less. I am bidding $195 max though as I do not need this in the short term..

so microcenter does price match with newegg or different companies

Get your CPU there and the rest of your stuff elsewhere.

They have been known to have in-store specials (that aren't on the site; my Samsung SATA DVD burner was one such). Also, they actually have better prices than the Egg on hard drives (OEM/bare in particular). And, as a previous poster pointed out, they will pricematch. I'm one of those lucky enough to have two relatively close (Rockville and Fairfax), they are about equidistant from me. It's availability (not price) that determines which one I go to. (Also, unlike Newegg, MicroCenter takes *cash*.)

Almost no store will price match an online only store.

I would like to try that at Best Buy.

Not sure they would sell me stuff at 1/3 to 1/2 their every day price..

Almost no store will price match an online only store.

+1.

I have two Microcenters in my area, the MD and VA locations. Both will not match prices with Newegg, and I've tried on NUMEROUS occasions. What's funny though is that the MD store has a big chalkboard listing out Neweggs prices compared to theirs.

For the guys who keep saying that their Microcenter matched prices with Newegg, which locations are you talking about?

+1.

I have two Microcenters in my area, the MD and VA locations. Both will not match prices with Newegg, and I've tried on NUMEROUS occasions. What's funny though is that the MD store has a big chalkboard listing out Neweggs prices compared to theirs.

For the guys who keep saying that their Microcenter matched prices with Newegg, which locations are you talking about?

St. Louis (Brentwood) Missouri. I've price matched with newegg on 4 items now, with 2 different sales supervisors that they have to call over to OK it with. Netgear 3700 wireless router, sony optiarc dvd burner, asus motherboard and an antec case.

Seemed to not have a problem and the cashier girls didn't get all 'whats this' when I showed them the newegg printout.

No issues there.

+1.

Did you always deal with the same folks at Rockville and Fairfax?

I've had nary a problem getting price-matches vs. the Egg.

so microcenter does price match with newegg or different companies

The stores in the Chicago area will price match anybody, and not just print ads either. They just took 50.00 bucks off a printer for me that was cheaper on Newegg.

They have a good selection of stuff and the prices are descent too. Check out there current add on their site. Some stuff is is lower price then newegg.

The stores in the Chicago area will price match anybody, and not just print ads either. They just took 50.00 bucks off a printer for me that was cheaper on Newegg.

they do have some limitations though , if a item is on sale below there cost they wont do it just ask vince... also remember to check return policies. in that area newegg has never failed, but microcenter is pretty good if you know how to word things.

The "official" stance is that they only pricematch processors. Anything else is just gravy and up to the manager.

Good to know, I wen there and the prices were TERRRIBLE. 450 bucks for a GTX 285? No way am I touching that.

Love Microcenter for those processor prices! Hate their return policy if it deserves to be called that in the first place ~_~

I would probably try grabbing their flyer/ads/newsprint and pricematch elsewhere.

MC has 1 or 2 year replacement plans you can use on a CPU/MB purchase, which will costs ~$20 to $30 more, but is very well worth the cost over RMA to a manufacture due to shipping costs and downtime. Plus you also know for sure your getting it replaced with a new product, not a used or re manufactured one which alot of manufactures now do. They are very good at honoring their purchase warranties - no questions asked. Ive purchased a $330 MB that failed after 10 months, and was replaced for a better one(because of costs at the time) at no cost plus got $40 back that I used to purchase another years purchase warranty on the new replaced MB. Best Processor prices and quality selection.

EDIT: LOL, no I do not work for them. Just have had good experiences with them.

Last edited:
I'm heading down to the microcenter to get the buy an AMD cpu and get a mobo free deal in my email this morning.

I'll try to haggle them into matching a newegg price on something. This is the Philadelphia/St.Davids store. I'll post back with my results.

I do know that best buy will not match. neither did circuit city when they were in business. There was a local shop when I live in harrisburg called Alliance Computers that I was able to get to match the P4 when it first came out years ago from newegg.

Love Microcenter for those processor prices! Hate their return policy if it deserves to be called that in the first place ~_~

I would probably try grabbing their flyer/ads/newsprint and pricematch elsewhere.

Returns is why I prefer to buy local. I'd much rather drive to a MC to return something than pay for shipping and wait for a replacement from NewEgg. I've returned quite a few things to MC with no problem.

I'm willing to pay a little more for components at MC, because it's only 2hr round trip if something is bad.... newegg/amazon/etc send something bad/dead/dying, it's a turnaround time.

2hr round trip, that SUCKS. I can walk to Microcenter :D

I've PM'ed some RAM at Micro Center. Originally $120 with a 30 rebate, newegg price was $110 but no rebate. Got the PM and rebate printed itself. easy way to save a few bucks

I'm heading down to the microcenter to get the buy an AMD cpu and get a mobo free deal in my email this morning.

I'll try to haggle them into matching a newegg price on something. This is the Philadelphia/St.Davids store. I'll post back with my results.

I do know that best buy will not match. neither did circuit city when they were in business. There was a local shop when I live in harrisburg called Alliance Computers that I was able to get to match the P4 when it first came out years ago from newegg.

As I walked out there was a manager there thanking every customer for their purchase. I quickly asked him if they would match prices from online competitors. He said competitors with physical stores they will, online retailers are handled on a case by case basis and a few other things factor into it.

Returns is why I prefer to buy local. I'd much rather drive to a MC to return something than pay for shipping and wait for a replacement from NewEgg. I've returned quite a few things to MC with no problem.

THIS THIS and THIS.

Back