Microcenter Processors Lower Binned?

Microcenter is pretty awesome for parts. Ive puchased this rig and a few other parts from there, except for my videocards (they came from newegg since mc had a poor selection at the time). They got me to come in with the 2700k + 50 off the mobo deal.
 
Last edited:
Just got my new rig from Microcenter last night, and I'm currently running a 3570k at 4.5Ghz, 1.25v on an Asus P8z77-v LK. Not bad, if you ask me.
 
Acquired from Microcenter of Tustin:

3570K; 4.3Ghz @ 1.13v Linpack AVX Load stable [was stable at a max of 1.12v when my house was ~7-10C cooler and I kept the case-door open], Asrock z77 ext4 @ LLC-2, Thermalright Archon ...
4.5Ghz gives me high temps - not comfortable. I believe I have a good CPU, but a bad IHS-seating. I'm not going to de-lid to test that theory for another several months.
 
No. All ivy bridge CPUs have this issue... Intel acknowledged the heat issue due to cheap thermal paste... delid the CPU and put better shit on it. Case solved
 
No. All ivy bridge CPUs have this issue... Intel acknowledged the heat issue due to cheap thermal paste... delid the CPU and put better shit on it. Case solved

This. My 2500k that I got from MicroCenter hits 5ghz @ 1.45v or 4.5ghz @ 1.33v.

Lower binned my ass! :p
 
Slightly off topic....
What are the odds of seeing the 3570k back down to 169/Plus $40 mobo combo discount at MC before Haswell ?
 
My i7 920 is a first-week D0 from MicroCenter.

It has handled 4.2ghz since the day I got it.
 
Slightly off topic....
What are the odds of seeing the 3570k back down to 169/Plus $40 mobo combo discount at MC before Haswell ?

Good question, one of my friends was looking to buy that deal as well but it hasn't come back up yet.
 
I bought 3770k batch 3244C475. It does 4.4GHz with offset and maximum vcore is 1.216 during IBT and 1.192-1.126 Prime95.
 
Good question, one of my friends was looking to buy that deal as well but it hasn't come back up yet.

It's possible they'll hold off until a bit after Haswell drops and then empty their stock at 100/per, just like they did with the 2500k's and q9550's at the corresponding launches.
 
i got good chips from microcenter, while in store i perused all the bin numbers from a thread here and bought the best one.

i also spent an extra 200$ on things i didnt intend to buy.

it worked.
 
It's possible they'll hold off until a bit after Haswell drops and then empty their stock at 100/per, just like they did with the 2500k's and q9550's at the corresponding launches.

Yea that seems pretty on point, I know they offered that deal on the IB processors too but it wasnt as long running as the sale on sandy bridge. I remember seeing the 3770K available with 40 off the Motherboard around December.

Edit. I found in one of my old post the deal on the Ivy bridge I7 mobo combo was actually in September.
 
Last edited:
MC send me a coupon for $20 a week ago. As soon as I got it I went to buy 3770k.
 
My 3770k needs 1.36v for 4.5ghz.. :mad:

Maybe better cooling will help? My processor requires too much voltage on air to continue past 4.7 I think I can run 4.8, but heaven's Valley benchmark crashed it, had trouble getting it to run only at 4.8. Didn't have a chance to test it in game but figured it didn't matter since it couldn't run heaven.
 
Could a defective mobo cause cpu needing so much volts? I bought the asus gene v open box.
 
Back
Top