Microcenter - AMD Ryzen 1700X - $349.99 In Store

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
Looks like there was a price drop. $349.99 In Store, limit 1.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/content/Ryzen.aspx?utm_source=eNews 20170307&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=E4136&MccGuid=16D9D13C-D5ED-4E7D-A8C7-1D7690F2B4B6

ryzen-microcenter.jpg

Last edited:
I don't understand the draw on these. These seem far overpriced than current gen Intel chips and from a few articles I read on these they are comparable with current Intel chips aside from the core count which, to me, seems negligible since I don't do heavy video editing, folding etc.

I'm leery to jump back into AMD's game at this point, especially paying this kind of money for something merely comparable. So, what's the draw with these things short of hobbyists and those with the disposable income?

Some people do use the extra cores, and for them it's absolutely worth the buck.

If you're not going to get any use out of it, don't buy it?

The people interested in a proper 7700k competitor are probably going to be happier with a R5 series chip, as long as AMD manages to clock them higher.

The people interested in a proper 7700k competitor are probably going to be happier with a R5 series chip, as long as AMD manages to clock them higher.

Ah, so they are doing the same tier levels with these CPUs as Intel does with theirs with the i3, i5 etc? I wasn't aware of that. Still though, I would hope i would be a competitive price. AMD has been out of the mainstream so long, it's difficult to hop on board with them again.

It sounds like I'm not their target market then for these R7's. I'll wait and see what happens with the R5's then.

r5's aren't going to be clocked higher, nor overclock significantly higher (if at all). I'm calling it now.

If you aren't interested in the r7's you'll have little interest in the r5 or r3. The reason you'd have interest in the R7 is workstation production type apps. Video editing, heavy processing loads fed by multiple cores, etc. Productivity stuff. 90% off us don't us, even us enthusiasts don't use our PCs in this way, and at the current junction, 4 cores is enough.

Heck, at our workplace, there is a developer laptop option, with a upgraded I7 and 16GB or 32GB of RAM as compared to the I5 and 8GB or 16GB standard options. Most people steer away from the developer option, even developers because it weighs a couple pounds more. At current junction PC hardware is simply far ahead of software requirements for the great majority.

At these prices though - I'll admit I took a second glance. Not because I need it, but because MicroCenter also offers $30 off the motherboard.

At these prices it's compelling to buy an 8 core AMD for some potential future proofing even if it's not terribly beneficial now. You know the next console generations are going for more CPU cores -- that's what will drive the game development market in the future. R7 1700 for $329 with a $79 MSI B350 motherboard (discounted from $110). That starts to be a bit more lucrative.

I passed again - though because I have a couple Fury X cards and to get two PCI-E slots I'd need the 370 series and that's $140 (discounted from $170) $330 + $140 + RAM = $600ish.

I have a 4770k at 4.5Ghz. I mostly use my PC for gaming. From what I can tell my performance might actually go down in upgrading to a R7 for current and previous generation games. So I'd truly be buying it only for future proofing and the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze at this point. --- even if selling my 4770k setup for say $300. $300 cost for a lateral move - seems like I'd be best holding off a bit longer.

Last edited:
it the 8 cores at a lower tdp. That and amd is kinda back in the game. Competition is good.

Wish I could find a god damn motherboard!

Thumper, I just walked in to my store (SoCal) on Sunday and was actually resigned to buy i7 KBL as my stopgap until the next gen SkyLake X comes out. (I make it sound bad but I was excited to buy anything! Also I was tired of waiting and had decided no matter what Im upgrading now and bought new NVMe drive and DDR4 RAM leading into the Ryzen release) To my surprise they had a bunch of boards that were not listed on their site as being in stock. They had a Fatalty X370 Professional (this one is not even on their website at all), Asus X370 - Pro and 2 Gigabyte Aurous 5s being stocked. So picked up an ASUS Pro and a 1700. Wish the 1700X was this price then... ugh another trip coming possibly :) Moral of the story is go to (or call) your local store. They are getting stock slowly.

And yea this isnt much of an upgrade for gaming. Unless you are like me on my i7-2600k which makes it more like a slight-grade on games and huge leap in my encoding stuff I do. Im just happy to be on a new platform though if MC had the $299 KBL still it wouldve made the choice much harder but when I got to the store they were not running that special anymore. So I made the switch and jumped into AMD for the first time ever.

If Intel responds with a beast (pricing included) at either CoffeeLake or Skylake-X I'll switch again later this year.

Im just excited to have stuff to tinker with and upgrade too. Its been 5 long years since I got the Sandy i7 and havent thought of upgrading at all till this gen. And now super happy I have more choices coming in the future.

Also groebuck that TDP is really misleading. These things eat power but I agree competition is good.

Last edited:
I don't understand the draw on these.
Most of us game at resolutions to where this processor is not going to be a bottleneck in the first place, but it has the raw processing power to dominate outside of gaming and is on par with Intels at twice the price.

So its a "fast enough" to not impact gaming solution, that outside of gaming is like comparing a Honda S2000 four banger with a 6.4 liter V8. Sure, per cylinder the S2000 is punching above its weight, but there's no replacement for displacement, or in this case 8 cores and 16 threads.

Personally, I was just excited to see AMD really back in the game, no hold's barred, and was eager to support them accordingly after having Intel after Intel rig for ages, since AMD was lagging so far behind on the high end.

Most of us game at resolutions to where this processor is not going to be a bottleneck in the first place, but it has the raw processing power to dominate outside of gaming and is on par with Intels at twice the price.

So its a "fast enough" to not impact gaming solution, that outside of gaming is like comparing a Honda S2000 four banger with a 6.4 liter V8. Sure, per cylinder the S2000 is punching above its weight, but there's no replacement for displacement, or in this case 8 cores and 16 threads.

Personally, I was just excited to see AMD really back in the game, no hold's barred, and was eager to support them accordingly after having Intel after Intel rig for ages, since AMD was lagging so far behind on the high end.

Quite informative, thank you! I am eager to test Ryzen with statistical software

r5's aren't going to be clocked higher, nor overclock significantly higher (if at all). I'm calling it now.

If you aren't interested in the r7's you'll have little interest in the r5 or r3. The reason you'd have interest in the R7 is workstation production type apps. Video editing, heavy processing loads fed by multiple cores, etc. Productivity stuff. 90% off us don't us, even us enthusiasts don't use our PCs in this way, and at the current junction, 4 cores is enough.

Heck, at our workplace, there is a developer laptop option, with a upgraded I7 and 16GB or 32GB of RAM as compared to the I5 and 8GB or 16GB standard options. Most people steer away from the developer option, even developers because it weighs a couple pounds more. At current junction PC hardware is simply far ahead of software requirements for the great majority.

At these prices though - I'll admit I took a second glance. Not because I need it, but because MicroCenter also offers $30 off the motherboard.

At these prices it's compelling to buy an 8 core AMD for some potential future proofing even if it's not terribly beneficial now. You know the next console generations are going for more CPU cores -- that's what will drive the game development market in the future. R7 1700 for $329 with a $79 MSI B350 motherboard (discounted from $110). That starts to be a bit more lucrative.

I passed again - though because I have a couple Fury X cards and to get two PCI-E slots I'd need the 370 series and that's $140 (discounted from $170) $330 + $140 + RAM = $600ish.

I have a 4770k at 4.5Ghz. I mostly use my PC for gaming. From what I can tell my performance might actually go down in upgrading to a R7 for current and previous generation games. So I'd truly be buying it only for future proofing and the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze at this point. --- even if selling my 4770k setup for say $300. $300 cost for a lateral move - seems like I'd be best holding off a bit longer.

A 6 core 12 thread for $230-260 is cheaper than a comparable 4 core 8 thread Intel CPU. I would hope for $200, but I don't think the 6 cores will get that cheap. Most games won't see any advantage with the extra cores, if any. But maybe 3-4 years down the road it will? Outside of games, it will be a faster CPU. Occasionally I do use some applications that can do multi threading, but I am mainly interested in game performance.

In either case, the AMD offering is cheaper. Now considering the i7s are a bit faster I would hope it is closer to $200 as I feel many will just spend an extra $40 for an Intel. CPUs are something we tend to keep for a few years, so an extra $30-40 is worth it to most for a bit more performance. If AMD releases a 6 core 12 thread at $200, they will take the gamer market by storm. There wouldn't be a point in buying an Intel unless you were spending $300+.

Then enter the turbo. We need to quickly invent a CPU cooler that turns the waste heat into more gigahertz.

Then enter the turbo. We need to quickly invent a CPU cooler that turns the waste heat into more gigahertz.
Big engines can use turbos too. :D

The Ryzen seems to me to be more of a replacement for servers. I could replace my dual 2.93GHz 4core/8thread each Xeon server with just one Ryzen that runs both faster and cooler assuming you can get a motherboard that handles 48 or more GB ECC ram.

I don't understand the draw on these. These seem far overpriced than current gen Intel chips and from a few articles I read on these they are comparable with current Intel chips aside from the core count which, to me, seems negligible since I don't do heavy video editing, folding etc.

I'm leery to jump back into AMD's game at this point, especially paying this kind of money for something merely comparable. So, what's the draw with these things short of hobbyists and those with the disposable income?
Obviously not for you! correct? Why would you even get anything higher than 7700k if all you wanna do i game and don't care about anything else, why would you need any other Intel chip by that means? This is for people that want a balanced chip. That is good enough in games and also holds up to 1000 dollar Intel chips.

The Ryzen seems to me to be more of a replacement for servers. I could replace my dual 2.93GHz 4core/8thread each Xeon server with just one Ryzen that runs both faster and cooler assuming you can get a motherboard that handles 48 or more GB ECC ram.
^ This. A Ryzen 7 at ~4GHz should about equal 2x X5690s at video encoding, while using a sh*t ton less power and blowing it away in ST IPC.

You can do 64GB (16GBx4) ECC ram on the Ryzen board.

It wasn't a mistake, just a short sale I think. I'm sure it will drop again.

Monoprice Ebay has it for $369.99

I'll be purchasing the 1700 the minute MicroCenter carries the K5 or K7 with $30 bundle discount, 1700x if it's discounted this low again.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Price back to normal on the site. Maybe it was a mistake.

Mc always does this, it's a brand new CPU after all. They sell at lower cost than anyone else, and almost always "on sale", but every once in a while go back up in price, this tends to only happen for a short time and on new CPU's, assuming it has to do with demand. In any case, give it a week and it will be back.

Back