Micro-ATX HTPC

Hello, I would like some input into building a new HTPC for 1080p playback/web surfing/Media Streaming over network. This is going up into my bedroom, I will not be encoding or gaming on this machine, that’s what my downstairs main PC is for.
Parts I have:
Case:Silverstone GD09B, mouse, keyboard, a couple of HardDrives, 5.1 speakers, SoundBlasterX-FI PCIe,
Parts I need:
Mobo:Micro-ATX
CPU
CPU Cooler or stock cooler
GPU low profile with HDMI
PSU
RAM
Wireless Card
Im looking to spend maybe around $300. Id like some input and suggestions.

Hello, I would like some input into building a new HTPC for 1080p playback/web surfing/Media Streaming over network. This is going up into my bedroom, I will not be encoding or gaming on this machine, that’s what my downstairs main PC is for.
Parts I have:
Case:Silverstone GD09B, mouse, keyboard, a couple of HardDrives, 5.1 speakers, SoundBlasterX-FI PCIe,
Parts I need:
Mobo:Micro-ATX
CPU
CPU Cooler or stock cooler
GPU low profile with HDMI
PSU
RAM
Wireless Card
Im looking to spend maybe around $300. Id like some input and suggestions.

Just an FYI, the Silverstone GD09 case will accept full ATX motherboards and all but the largest GPU's out there. You can use the types of parts you mention, but you aren't required to.

Whats the best way to go about this? I figure to go the less expensive route with Micro-ATX vs full ATX. Also should I go with intel i3 or amd am3 build?

If you are just using it for playback, an AM3 build would be enough especially on a budget.

Either i3 or AM3 builds you will not need the low profile card cause the built in GPUs will handle decoding the video just fine.

Only reason I'd consider an i3 build is for decoding h264 10bit files but these files are mostly for anime encodes.

Yeah, I too was going to recommend ditching a dedicated GPU and just going integrated. It will allow for a smaller, quieter, and more energy efficient build. I also recommend consolidating your storage into a NAS, and just putting SSDs on your peripheral computers/HTPCs, even the gaming ones. Its way more convenient long term, and even if you went wireless, the new AC1900 routers are faster than USB 2.0 which is plenty quick for streaming even 3D bluray quality.

I also have Cooler Master Hyper N520 - CPU Cooler, problem is it probably wont fit in my case since its 115 x 62.3 x 141mm. The case limitation of CPU cooler is 138mm. =(

I was going to get a dedicated gpu Zotac ZT-71107-10L GeForce GT 730 for ~$45

OS-Windows 7
hdd-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WD Black 640(already have)
case ------------------------------------------------------------------------Silverstone GD09B(already have)
cpu---AMD Phenom II X2 565 Callisto Dual-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM3 80W(already have)
ram ----------------------------OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (already have)
wireless card-GIGABYTE Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Card GC-WB300D(already have)
cpu cooler-----------------------------ZALMAN CNPS7000V(AL)-1-PWM 92mm CPU Cooler ~$14
mobo-------------------------------------------------------------GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ ~$55
psu----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Corsair cx430m ~$50

Total with GPU:$165

Last edited:
Back