Micro-ATX for Virtual Host

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by gimp, Jan 12, 2019.

1. gimp

gimp [H]ardForum Junkie

So looking to get a better homelab going.

While I interested in the SuperMicro E300-9D-4CN8TP
    https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E300-9D-4CN8TP.cfm

I don't want to worry about the whining 40mm fans.

I think I've decided on this:
    https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X11SDV-4C-TP8F.cfm

Now just to find a relatively small case that I would hope might support a 120mm fan, or at least a couple 80mm.

Thinking I might prefer one that doesn't have a spot for an internal power supply, and I'd use an external instead (mobo above can use 12VDC.

I have somewhat limited room and intend on (eventually) adding 2 or 3, so don't want to go all out on case size, and I don't have a need for much local storage. 1x SSD would be sufficient.

Been doing a ton of searching, but having difficulty finding the appropriate search terms to use to exclude the cases with room for internal power supplies.

Anything decent out there that I've had no luck finding?

2. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

I can get ya a great deal on an old server I have.

6core, 12 Thread (intel)
    64gb ram
    Micro ATX

If your game, PM me

My lab never used server grade tech. Just super “gamer” type hardware that runs VMware.

I was looking today at some hardware on Newegg. Looks like 2011v3 is still a valid option for 128gb+ but I believe that puts you in the Zeon rage.

2011v3 is what I have / run in my lab.

3. gimp

gimp [H]ardForum Junkie

don't necessarily need server-grade, but would prefer gear that's on the HCL.
    Dealing with issues attempting to use a couple 8th gen NUCs and vSAN, but no idea if issue is related to non-HCL/certified gear or something else.
    https://hardforum.com/threads/vmware-vsan-single-disk-noncompliant.1974510/

even if I didn't go with that particular Supermicro board, still looking for lower power consumption and small; which wouldn't really change the wants I have for a case.

part of the reason for the Supermicro was onboard SFP+ that already works on ESXi 6.7 out of the box and I intend on delving in to 10gb

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

my gut tells me your issue is not with HCL hardware. Though i have been known to be wrong from time to time. VmWare will typically crash if its hardware issues and with today's chip sets you typically get the drivers for the key parts of the motherboard (storage and network).

5. gimp

gimp [H]ardForum Junkie

further testing yesterday, issue may be a faulty ssd in one of the nucs; or possibly sata controller

Orddie likes this.
  6. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

how ya make out?

7. liliff

liliff n00b

8. gimp

gimp [H]ardForum Junkie