• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mic Recommendation for Receiver Setup

enc0re

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
146
Here's my setup:

Gigabyte MB toslink (96K) -> Denon AVR-1804 -> 2 x RB51 Klipsch

I'm very happy with the sound. And when I get new headphones (Senn 595 broke), Denon assured me that the receiver switches the main amp to the headphone port, properly driving everything up to 800 Ohm.

For a mic, I use the Microsoft VX-3000 USB webcam. Unfortunately, it puts a loud buzzing sound into my voice when gaming (e.g. L4D2). So I need a better mic setup.

I'm eying the MS Lifecam cinema H5D-00001 and the Blue Eyeball. I'm also open to all other suggestions, including analog mics. I think a non-headset mic is the way to go, so that it won't interfere with my headphones (probably Senn 600 or 650s) in the future.

T[H]anks in advance to the community for helping me out.
 
Stupid question? Has it been answered already?

I'm sorry guys, but I really need some help here.
 
try PM'ing a mod to get the title changed, or do a search for desktop mic rec's
most people are probably thinking you're asking about the mic you'd use to setup a surround sound setup
 
Well, for speakers, a headset is actually the way to go. Reason is, if it isn't next to your mouth, it's gonna pick up lots of noise form them and sound bad for others. What you want is the Andrea NC-8. It is just a headworn mic, no earpeice, so you can hear your speakers fine, but use it to talk. It is also extremely cheap.

I'd get one of those for speaker use. When you get your headphones, then look at getting another mic for use with them.
 
If ti comes to that, I'll use a separate head-mic. I would prefer to have one mic for both speakers and headphones though. It seems to me, that picking up the speakers shouldn't be a problem, as long as the software is smart enough to subtract it out. After all, it knows what's being played over the speakers.

Does such a product exist?
 
If you really want a separate mic, why not just get a pre-amp (doesn't have to be pricey) and a condenser or dynamic mic and desk stand?

Condenser drawback - they are sensitive, they will pick up just about ALL sounds around you. But it's what I use.

Dynamic, I don't use, I have 2 MXL condenser mics and a Behringer MIC200 Pre-amp which was the only balanced pre-amp I could find. But I have tried dynamics and the biggest downside is at least for me I found I had to be much closer to the mic. With the condenser, I can have the mic about an arm's length away behind a pop filter and have the sound be really clear.

Have an HT Omega Claro soundcard and everything has to be balanced. So 1/4" out from pre-amp to 1/8" adapter plugged into my mic jack on my soundcard.

Either way mic-wise, a desktop mic stand (cheap, really they are) and shockmount if you go condenser or just plain old holder for a dynamic. Condensers (unless you get one of the super duper like $500+++ models) are not meant to be hand-held and dynamics, well, they're going to pick up handling noise too. And gods help you if you're, say, talking to someone and you drop the mic. You'll kill their eardrums!

No amp, no mixer, no speakers actually. I use headphones all the time.

Also depends on what you're using the mic for. I use mine for online dj'ing and online karaoke (yeah I know, but it fun).

I'd never use the built-in mics that come with webcams, just find the sound quality to be totally not quality.
 
Back
Top