mhz vs FSB

DarkMonkey

Limp Gawd
So I've got a mobile Athlon 2500+ running at 2366mhz 182*13. My FSB is at 182 because it's the highest my pc2100 memory will go (I got it for free and do NOT have money to upgrade it) and I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against a barton running 200*11, I know a clock rate achieved with a high FSB will perform better than the same clock rate achieved with a high multiplier, but my question is where is the performance line drawn? How much faster will a high multiplier CPU have to run to be able to match the performance of a slower CPU with a higher FSB? (Specifically in this case, but also just in general)

Unforunatly in my experiance there is no straight answer to this question

certain applications perfer the extra memory bandwidth a higher FSB offers

and then certain applications perfer the raw performance of the cpu.

atleast thats my experiance

i would have to agree. the performance lines are drawn not accross the board, but more based on application needs. i would tend to side with fsb clocks performing overall better, particularly with lower multipliers, and higher bandwidth between cpu / memory.

my ultimate goal with my desktop barton is to hit 200mhz fsb stable and reliable (200x11.5=2300). if i do hit my goal (eventually, for now stuck at 180 looking for ideas), i wouldnt mind sharing the results.

Back