MGS4...no alerts/kills?

Domingo

Fully [H]
Well, I've completed MGS4 and had a blast, but was wondering how going for this works. Are you just anesthetizing people from behind and crawling a lot or are you allowed to use any weapons on the bosses?
Is it actually...fun? I mean, I enjoy having all of these weapons. Is it worth going through a 2nd time to get an arsenal and then a 3rd pass with no kills, or does sneaking around start to get old quickly? Just curious as I've actually enjoyed going through the game as a partial shooter...although on normal the enemy AI's pretty horrendous when actually shooting at you.

Big Boss Extreme with No Alerts/kills can get old due to the constant reloading of saves. Bullets do a lot more damage to you in the harder difficulties.

Obviously there's a lot of crawling involved. I found it fun to sneak around though. You can use lethal weapons on the B&B's beast forms (when they still have the equipment on) but if you use non-lethal weapons on them in that form, you can pick up figurines of them during the beauty phase (except for the last boss who you fight as normal.) Pick up all 4 figurines + a frog figurine from act 1 for using only nonlethal weapons on frogs, and you'll be given a special weapon at the end.

No stealth isn't that hard thanks to OctoCamo. Just make sure you save often, because if you get an alert you have to exit to title screen and reload. No kills is actually harder thanks to a couple parts of the game where it makes it hard not to get a kill: the chase in act 2 (guys crawling up and getting in the way of minigun fire) and the chase in act 3.

It's pretty cool that not only does MGS4 let you use different playstyles to play the game, it also rewards you with some very nice rewards for doing so.

I just started up a game on Easy today (beat it on the American normal difficulty the first time) so that I could try to beat it with no kills/alerts. Oh man, it has been challenging. I have thus far enjoyed the challenge a lot though, and I would recommend you give it a try.

I have been using anesthesia, but you can also use CQC if you sneak up on people. I haven't gotten past the warzone in the beginning yet though, so I havent really had a chance to give that a go.

FYI, the "Exit to Title screen" option is under the Save menu. Took me a few resets of the game to figure that out!

I'm in the process of the Big Boss Emblem run now. It's not as easy as it seems. I'm quite amazed at how many people have actually completed it as of recent - there are some great MGS players out there for sure!

I'm in the process of the Big Boss Emblem run now. It's not as easy as it seems. I'm quite amazed at how many people have actually completed it as of recent - there are some great MGS players out there for sure!

A couple unlockables such as the Solar gun and the corpse cammo (from chicken badge) can help make things a lot easier. The only part that required some luck to get through was the motorcycle sequence in act 3.

You know, I didn't even think about that scene. I bet getting through that is TOUGH. I take it you can't kill the mechs (they're "alive" right?) or the people attacking you, too?

You can kill gekko (mechs) and those 3 armed scarabs. But in act two you will run into a couple of Power Suits (they look like soldiers with giant jet packs). Those count as kills. If you don't kill them eventually you will be able to move to the next area.

Obviously there's a lot of crawling involved. I found it fun to sneak around though. You can use lethal weapons on the B&B's beast forms (when they still have the equipment on) but if you use non-lethal weapons on them in that form, you can pick up figurines of them during the beauty phase (except for the last boss who you fight as normal.) Pick up all 4 figurines + a frog figurine from act 1 for using only nonlethal weapons on frogs, and you'll be given a special weapon at the end.

No stealth isn't that hard thanks to OctoCamo. Just make sure you save often, because if you get an alert you have to exit to title screen and reload. No kills is actually harder thanks to a couple parts of the game where it makes it hard not to get a kill: the chase in act 2 (guys crawling up and getting in the way of minigun fire) and the chase in act 3.

It's pretty cool that not only does MGS4 let you use different playstyles to play the game, it also rewards you with some very nice rewards for doing so.

for the no-kills run, you HAVE to use both non-lethal on both forms on B&B fights. i learned that the hard way.

for the no-kills run, you HAVE to use both non-lethal on both forms on B&B fights. i learned that the hard way.

The only kills that count against you are humans. Also, causing a human enemy to fall to their death after tranquilizing them does not count against you as a kill. Technically the ground killed them, not you. Only direct lethal force against a human target will increase your kill total.

Now, think about the "beast" phase of the BB corps boss battles. Is the woman inside the suit dead after the first phase of the battle? Nope, which means you can fight the beast forms using whatever weapons you want. Blast them with Javelins, throw grenades, etc... you technically aren't killing anything in the "beast" phase of the battle, so it doesn't matter what you use.

Obviously you can't do that during the "beauty" phase, because that would involve killing a human. Also, be careful about using explosive and automatic weapons in the Laughing Octopus and Crying Wolf battles. You can accidenally kill the unconscious/sleeping Frog soliders during the Laughing Octopus battle, so watch your fire there and don't use explosives. You can also kill the patrolling Frogs during the Crying Wolf battle, so make sure there isn't one near your line of fire before you open up on Crying Wolf.

Also, just FYI, there's no way to defeat Screaming Mantis in beast form by draining her Psyche/Stamina; whether or not you get the Screaming Mantis doll during the beauty phase depends on whether or not you killed any of the Frogs before and during the beast battle.

I think no alert + no camo is harder than no kill + no alert. No camo means you cant lie on the ground and become invisible, you have to use rebel and terrean as cover. I prefer young snake with suit ;)

Back