Metro Last Light Using A Steam Controller

I don't understand. What is wrong with keyboard mouse combination? Why do some people must insist on playing with a controller?

QUESTION IS......
Do the touchpad give you the accurate of aiming with a mouse.
If the answer is YES then this type of controller with dominate. (and other companies will produce their own versions)
If the answer is NO then it will fall in to disuse and soon be forgotten.

love how that video showed very little controlling but watching the NPCs talking lol

love how that video showed very little controlling but watching the NPCs talking lol

agreed. complete waste of time, he never even shot anything. no idea if he had any accuracy as he was only looking at peoples faces while they talked.

QUESTION IS......
If the answer is YES then this type of controller with dominate. (and other companies will produce their own versions)

compared to a control stick and d-pad, I'm still actually in doubt a touchpad will be better, aesthetically it looks futuristic and cool, but functionality-wise, having my doubts :D, waiting for more reviews.

QUESTION IS......

Well you would have to compare it to a keyboard and mouse on your lap as you sit on your couch. Oh and with your GF leaning on your shoulder.

agreed. complete waste of time, he never even shot anything. no idea if he had any accuracy as he was only looking at peoples faces while they talked.

He does shoot at the target range section but you need to look at his second video to see him shoot enemies. His also has video of it playing Painkiller which seems to work okay for a fast twitch shooter but its first time playing the game too. I'd like see a pro Quake player or someone who really good at twitch type shooters try it out.

Well you would have to compare it to a keyboard and mouse on your lap as you sit on your couch. Oh and with your GF leaning on your shoulder.

Or you know, he could use a lap desk, or TV tray, or keyboard stand. I have been using a $10 one for a few years. I put it under couch when not using.

I am still skeptical of how it will compare to KB&M, or even a 360 controller. Will have to try it myself sooner or later to really know.

Most of this video was just this guy talking. What a waste of time.

I don't understand. What is wrong with keyboard mouse combination? Why do some people must insist on playing with a controller?

I think the controller is more ergonomic. It's more comfortable if I am gaming long hours.

Problem with controllers is that they use your thumbs for accuracy. Your thumb has terrible hand-eye coordination. You have much greater motor control with your fingers.

compared to a control stick and d-pad, I'm still actually in doubt a touchpad will be better, aesthetically it looks futuristic and cool, but functionality-wise, having my doubts :D, waiting for more reviews.

Or you know, he could use a lap desk, or TV tray, or keyboard stand. I have been using a $10 one for a few years. I put it under couch when not using.

I am still skeptical of how it will compare to KB&M, or even a 360 controller. Will have to try it myself sooner or later to really know.

I was kind of thinking the same along these lines. The guy talks about how he is having to try to get use to playing with the steam controller. So at least for some time you won't have the same level of control as a mouse. Even watching the video when he was shooting it seemed like he was having to lift his thumb and move it too much for the aiming.

I too would like to know how that actually compares to say a 360 controller used with a PC for aiming with a joystick.

For a non pro gamer and somebody that doesn't play twitch shooters I find the 360 controller to be fine for FPS games. On my PC I have crysis 2, borderland 2 and Far Cry 3 that I play with my 360 controller and I find it for me to be playable. On the 360 itself I have Halo games and black ops 2 and find the games to be just fine. I am not very good at FPS games to start with though so I don't notice much difference between that and what I would with a keyboard and mouse. Looking at this guy play metro at least, I am not seeing where that controller would give you any advantage over any other controller.

Without having one in my hands it is hard to say for sure though.

As for a tray or something. I just like the feel of a controller better. So I would prefer a good controller over a tray for a keyboard and mouse.

Or you know, he could use a lap desk, or TV tray, or keyboard stand.

I don't work 8 hours a day in front of a PC anymore, but many people still do, and the last thing you want to have in front of you while you're lounging in your living room in front of the couch, is another keyboard and mouse.

For non-competitive gaming, just rest and relax single player fun, i'm more than ok with a gamepad.

IMO, if we have to use a lap desk or a tray in the living room, we might as well be gaming at a computer desk.

One advantage of a controller is that it's a small portable device that you can hold in your hands. This way, you are free to sit however you find comfortable, or even lie on your bed/couch while gaming, it's less restrictive.

While controllers are great in a living room setting. I think they are about as counter-intuitive as they come. I've been using a trackball and mouse for gaming and they are super smooth, accurate, and easy to control.

If you were to put a gamer with a controller up against one with a nice mouse or trackball, I'm almost certain the trackball or mouse would walk all over the controller player.

What do you guys think.

While controllers are great in a living room setting. I think they are about as counter-intuitive as they come. I've been using a trackball and mouse for gaming and they are super smooth, accurate, and easy to control.

If you were to put a gamer with a controller up against one with a nice mouse or trackball, I'm almost certain the trackball or mouse would walk all over the controller player.

What do you guys think.

Halo2/3 had this ... the professional gamepad players got owned HARD by average keyboard and mouse users.

Ah, memories of raping my roomates on Quake 3 for Dreamcast after I got my official Sega KB&M for it.

That said, I do love playing my PC games on the 46" from my couch with a 360 controller.

Its all preference and what you're used to.
I'm a pc gamer (really the only one in the family), my oldest nephew (and everyone else who games) is a console gamer.
When we a play fps on pc, I use keyboard/ mouse and he uses a gamepad,I beat him.
When we both use gamepads, he beats me.
I've just spent a lot more time with k/m inputs. I'm sure if I was a big sports game guy I'd really prefer a controller because I used to be big on Madden pc and had a PS2 controller for it because k/m just felt "wrong" on sports games. Probably had something to do with season after season of Madden on PS2 with my cousin over at his place, again, just used to it.

IMO, if we have to use a lap desk or a tray in the living room, we might as well be gaming at a computer desk.

My opinion differs with yours. I use both a wireless 360 controller, and K800/Performance MX, on the HTPC, and find setups both quite useful in their own ways.

One advantage of a controller is that it's a small portable device that you can hold in your hands. This way, you are free to sit however you find comfortable, or even lie on your bed/couch while gaming, it's less restrictive.

I agree, but the post I responded too made it seem like using a KB&M from the couch is somehow too difficult to be compared to a controller, when some of us have been doing it for years with simple, and often enough, inexpensive TV trays. It is quite easy to use a TV tray, keyboard stand, lap desk, or the like on the couch with a cordless KB&M.
KB&M is a valid control option from the couch. Just like controllers, it has it's strengths and weaknesses. I don't play race car games with KB&M, and I don't play FPS with the 360 controller. Perhaps the Steambox controller can change that. I have my doubts, but I will not know til I try it.

The problem with the steam controller for aiming is having to lift and move your thumb so much
In the vid when he is trying to buy guns the arrow only goes so far before he has to move his thumb back to the middle.

Best FPS controller and closest to mouse and keyboard (for me) was the N64. It basically had strafe buttons (yellow ones) and a form of mouse-type looking around if you chose that style of control in the game. No idea why it didn't catch on more.

My opinion differs with yours. I use both a wireless 360 controller, and K800/Performance MX, on the HTPC, and find setups both quite useful in their own ways.

I agree, but the post I responded too made it seem like using a KB&M from the couch is somehow too difficult to be compared to a controller, when some of us have been doing it for years with simple, and often enough, inexpensive TV trays. It is quite easy to use a TV tray, keyboard stand, lap desk, or the like on the couch with a cordless KB&M.
KB&M is a valid control option from the couch. Just like controllers, it has it's strengths and weaknesses. I don't play race car games with KB&M, and I don't play FPS with the 360 controller. Perhaps the Steambox controller can change that. I have my doubts, but I will not know til I try it.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions.

I wouldn't say that it is "hard" to use a keyboard and mouse from the couch, but it sure as hell isn't as comfortable or as free as using a controller. when I am playing a game I want to be just slump over on the couch and play. I have a few games that I can't do that with, Minecraft being one of them. as it only uses keyboard and mouse. So I actually skip playing the pc version and stick to the 360 version even though the PC version is way better as I don't want to have to be stuck using the keyboard and mouse from the couch. if playing games for a few hours I want to be able to move around, be able to have my arms in a comfortable position. keyboard and mouse for hours on a couch don't give that. But that is my opinion from how I play games. You are free to play how you want just as I am free to play how I want.

Then again if we want to try to bitch about how people play. Won't "pro" gamers tell you that cordless mice are shit are give you too much lag to be able to play a good game unless you spend over $100 on your mouse.

There is no wrong way to play a game. Let people play the way they want to play.

Very true, different people enjoy games in different ways. Not everyone goes into a game to be an asshole or try to prove how large their epenis is. Some just go into games to have fun. Some maybe not even play the online part of games and only care about the single player part. So everyone plays differently, with different methods, and for different reasons. So there is no wrong way to play a game as long as you get what you want out of it.

I want to try the Steam Controller before I open my mouth and spew uneducated garbage about it, but what I do know is that the touchpad on the DualShock4 makes a great (though not in the best place) pointer-control input form and is a great pad in general. I could see DOTA2 being played on a DS4.

Best FPS controller and closest to mouse and keyboard (for me) was the N64. It basically had strafe buttons (yellow ones) and a form of mouse-type looking around if you chose that style of control in the game. No idea why it didn't catch on more.

It still requires tons of aim assist to work. I went back and played Goldeneye again recently and was amazed just how much aim assist there was, never really noticed as a kid, lol.

They both serves there purposes but being a second generation gamer, controllers make up a majority of my gaming, I only use a KB&M for two genres, Shooters & MMORPG's. I use both for Dungeon crawlers depending on my mood. That is pretty much it. I use a controller for every other genre. I don't think I can get use to the steam controller however. I've become a fan of the Xbox pad design & have been using that for my PC gaming for many years now. I would prefer that over the steam controller.

I am pretty sure Valve's controller is going to end up a lot better than current dual stick offerings in almost any genre except fighters and platformer.

These software trackballs make it a ton better for shooters. Nowhere near as good as kb/m but still quite an improvement over what couch potatoes use now. Acceleration is key. Also it's a great solution for both right and left handers.

I was kind of thinking the same along these lines. The guy talks about how he is having to try to get use to playing with the steam controller. So at least for some time you won't have the same level of control as a mouse. Even watching the video when he was shooting it seemed like he was having to lift his thumb and move it too much for the aiming.

I too would like to know how that actually compares to say a 360 controller used with a PC for aiming with a joystick.

For a non pro gamer and somebody that doesn't play twitch shooters I find the 360 controller to be fine for FPS games. On my PC I have crysis 2, borderland 2 and Far Cry 3 that I play with my 360 controller and I find it for me to be playable. On the 360 itself I have Halo games and black ops 2 and find the games to be just fine. I am not very good at FPS games to start with though so I don't notice much difference between that and what I would with a keyboard and mouse. Looking at this guy play metro at least, I am not seeing where that controller would give you any advantage over any other controller.

Without having one in my hands it is hard to say for sure though.

As for a tray or something. I just like the feel of a controller better. So I would prefer a good controller over a tray for a keyboard and mouse.

I'd like to make the point that THe touch pad will work more like a mouse where the finger runs on a surface where the console controllers have a joystick that pivots against a fixed point. It will always be harder to control the direction AND turning speed with a joystick than a mouse on a flat surface.

This reminded me of my Goldeneye days...but in that essentially you had to stand still when you wanted to aim. Maybe I was doing it wrong with the control scheme lol.

But thinking back it's pretty funny that we'd get face to face for a firefight and both players would stand still and start to aim and shoot at each other....though I guess that's sort of more realistic since you would naturally want to stand in place to aim before you shoot.

This reminded me of my Goldeneye days...but in that essentially you had to stand still when you wanted to aim. Maybe I was doing it wrong with the control scheme lol.

But thinking back it's pretty funny that we'd get face to face for a firefight and both players would stand still and start to aim and shoot at each other....though I guess that's sort of more realistic since you would naturally want to stand in place to aim before you shoot.

You were doing it wrong :p

Back