Method of Uninstallation? (Windows programs)

Empyrean

Limp Gawd
As I see it there are two different ways of uninstalling software, and I am curious as to whether one is preferred over the other, or if it really doesn't matter at all.

Method one would be the program installs an uninstaller for itself. Many programs do this, so when you look at the options via the Start menu, the last one is to Uninstall the software.

Alternatively, via the Control Panel, one can select the "Add or Remove Programs" option and hopefully find the program there in the list and remove it that way.

So the questions going through my mind are... Do both these point to the same thing, and accomplish the same goals? Does one method just get rid of the files and not update the registry? Should I care which way to try first (sometimes I may not have both options for a given program)?

As far as I know, both solutions perform the same function. I personally always run "regedit" after uninstalling programs and perform a search through the registry. More often than not, an embedded value is lying dormant.

Dark Assassin

Back