Metal Gear Solid V

MajorM

n00b
Have any of you played this series? I saw that this was coming out and it looks interesting but im not quite sold on it. Since I keep seeing odd keys like Y for doing stuff in the videos it makes me wonder if its just a bad port. So id this a developer/game I should keep an eye on if I play games like far cry, assassins creed and the battlefield series? I have never played any of the metal gear games but this one seems to have a improvement in graphics over the other versions in their comparison images. The PC version is also delayed until january so hopefully many of the bugs will be worked out by then.

If you are new to the series it might be a bit challenging to get into V. It will also be very unlike those other games. You will probably need to know what happened in MGS3 as well as Peace Walker to really understand all the story elements in V. Control wise the series has always been a bit weird with controls. However I know in Ground Zeroes you can rebind keyboard controls. The port of Ground Zeroes was excellent and I have no reason to think that Phantom Pain will be different.

PS: Only the online part of the game was delayed until Jan. The single player stuff is coming out on Sept. 1st.

The best way to "test drive" for MGSV: The Phantom Pain is to get ahold of "Ground Zeroes" which is the "prequel chapter". This is also available on PC, via Steam, for about $20 or less. If you pre-order TPP, you get a copy of GZ with it, but if you want to save the most money, I suggest buying a GZ key from a legit Steam key reseller (greenmangaming, g2a, etc..), and then if you like it, buy a TPP Nvidia Coupon Steam Key from a user here on the forum. MGSV:TPP the single player game will launch Sept 1 , but Metal Gear Online for PC will not launch until January, unfortunately. Then again, its possible MGO may get released early - there was a time when TPP for PC was not supposed to be released at all until October, then it was Sept 15th, now it is Sept 1 , back in parity with the console releases.

I'll be honest though, Metal Gear Solid is a significantly different experience from the other games you list. The series has roots going back into the 80s (literally! The first Metal Gear title was released for the MSX computer in Japan, and also came out for the NES!) and has been the brainchild of Japanese auteur Hideo Kojima. This means that despite the fact the Metal Gear Solid series "looks" like a typically military spy/shooter, it thematically is seen through a lens that is very different from the Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Splinter Cell ideals; some may say it is full of "Japanese sci-fi weirdness" as well as a subtle Japanese form of social commentary and satire.. Also, since the game has a long history, there's a lot in each game in the series that quite frankly, is meant as a call back or fan moment to previous titles. You played Assassin's Creed, right? Have you played most of the AC games, or just a few? If you've played many of them, the closest example I can make is that MGS has a meta-narrative of its own much in the same way that AC has the story of the Precursors, Assassins, Templars, Abstergo, and other events within the game world that crosses and calls back again and again in the game's story.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't play MGSV, I'm personally buying it for PC. However, if you get it expecting it to be similar Battlefield or FarCry, you'll likely be confused. Now, granted MGSV has a totally new direction for the series in terms of mechanics - it is the first open world game of the series (which you seee a little bit in Ground Zeroes) where previous titles were relatively linear and zone based. So in this respect, it is more like Far Cry 4 etc. However, remember that mechanically MGS is first and foremost stealth based, which is a big change.

I think the entire Metal Gear Solid series is worthwhile and enjoyable (though the eldest entries in the "solid" storyline go back to the Playstation era, so graphically things don't exactly keep up), but alas most of them are not currently available on PC. Hopefully if MGSV sells well (which takes place roughly in the early-middle of the game universe time line) other titles will be ported to PC. If you're interested, do as I said before and be sure to play Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on PC and see how you like it. It has a certain amount of backstory available to read over that gives you a very light class in what happened in the previous games (as Derangel said) Metal Gear Solid 3 and MGS: Peace Walker HD , both of which come directly before Ground Zeroes in the game's chronology. Likewise, I too feel that Ground Zeroes came together with a pretty great port on PC and worked well regardless if you preferred controllers or keyboard/mouse (personally, I play MGS titles with a controller because analog sticks and pressure sensitive buttons help ).

If you have any other questions let me know and I shall do my best to help.

I never played any of the MGS games yet I loved Ground Zeroes and I plan on getting Phantom Pain...the previous story elements are lost to me but I still found the game very entertaining based on the stealth gameplay, graphics and story contained within Ground Zeroes...I'm sure those who played the previous games in the series will get more out of it but it still seems like a great standalone game for newcomers as well...only negative is that the keyboard binding is bad because they limit the keys which can be remapped

Nvidia is bundling Phantom Pain with their graphics cards so look for people selling the codes online for $30 or less

I can still marathon MGS 1, 2 and 3 in one weekend. The game holds up so well I will always love the series.

Yeah, I can only mirror Xaeos in saying that Metal Gear Solid is a mindf**** of Japanese eccentrics. Its storytelling has more in common with modern adult-oriented anime than modern western action movies, but I still love the hell out of these games. All you really need to do to prepare is watch a few youtube 'lore' videos to get caught up, but if you REALLY want to get down-and-dirt, play MGS3 on a PS2 emulator. MGS3 is easily one of the best games ever made, and even more so the best entry in the series, and conveniently is pretty much all that is needed to pick up MGS5 without being COMPLETELY lost. The under-appreciated PSP exclusive 'Peace Walker' is extra credit, filling in any 'huh' moments you may have, and the widely ignored 'portable ops' is the cherry on the cake for filling you in on information.

That said, those games don't even touch on the les enfants teribles project which is pretty muc the DRIVING plot device for MGS1, MGS2 and MGS4, and many of the series signature characters (Otacon, Meryl, Solid Snake, Roy Campbell) are not present at all in MGS3, but all of these points have 'cliffs notes' on youtube.

That said, those games don't even touch on the les enfants teribles project which is pretty muc the DRIVING plot device for MGS1, MGS2 and MGS4, and many of the series signature characters (Otacon, Meryl, Solid Snake, Roy Campbell) are not present at all in MGS3, but all of these points have 'cliffs notes' on youtube.

It's because the focus of those other games were on a different "Snake".
MGS1, 2, and 4 all revolve around the story of Solid Snake (One of the 'les enfantes terrible').
Starting with 3, the focus was on Big Boss, who goes by many different "Snake" names in those games.

MGS5:TPP is the final story of Big Boss and will detail his fall from a good soldier, to evil tyrant, which will finish chronologically at the beginning of the very first game, Metal Gear(1987), which is Solid Snake's first mission - Infiltrate Outer Heaven and kill Big Boss.

It's because the focus of those other games were on a different "Snake".
MGS1, 2, and 4 all revolve around the story of Solid Snake (One of the 'les enfantes terrible').
Starting with 3, the focus was on Big Boss, who goes by many different "Snake" names in those games.

MGS5:TPP is the final story of Big Boss and will detail his fall from a good soldier, to evil tyrant, which will finish chronologically at the beginning of the very first game, Metal Gear(1987), which is Solid Snake's first mission - Infiltrate Outer Heaven and kill Big Boss.

Well, Snake's first mission (in game form) was to infiltrate outer heaven and destroy Metal Gear, and Big Boss was his commanding officer. It later turns out the whole thing was a live security test and Big Boss was in control of Outer Heaven the entire time, finding cracks in his base's defenses using Snake. Snake ends up not taking this well and fighting against Big Boss even though the jig was up. But does not kill him (though he believes he does). After the whole thing, Snake quits whatever branch he was affiliated with and joins Foxhound special forces, where he is assigned to infiltrate the second outer heaven in Zanzibar Land, where he eventually :surprise: finds Big Boss and Metal Gear and decides to burn Big Boss alive... which doesn't kill him still... Damn guy just doesn't die...

Well, He eventually dies... 30 years later...

Well, Snake's first mission (in game form) was to infiltrate outer heaven and destroy Metal Gear, and Big Boss was his commanding officer. It later turns out the whole thing was a live security test and Big Boss was in control of Outer Heaven the entire time, finding cracks in his base's defenses using Snake. Snake ends up not taking this well and fighting against Big Boss even though the jig was up. But does not kill him (though he believes he does). After the whole thing, Snake quits whatever branch he was affiliated with and joins Foxhound special forces, where he is assigned to infiltrate the second outer heaven in Zanzibar Land, where he eventually :surprise: finds Big Boss and Metal Gear and decides to burn Big Boss alive... which doesn't kill him still... Damn guy just doesn't die...

Well, He eventually dies... 30 years later...

I'm glad you felt like elaborating on the first 2 games, cause I just didnt feel like typing out a synopsis. :) But yea, that is correct for Metal Gear 1, you don't really know Big Boss is the one running the show till the end.
But since its on topic, Metal Gear 2 has one of the coolest 8 bit intros ever. Love that tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-H0fmG9ffI

I thought that was going to go in a completely different direction.... lol
So funny, I'm gonna do that over and over again when I get this game. Cant wait

It is starting to sound like the MGSV pre-order (both games for $60) is both good and a safe buy right now...

It is starting to sound like the MGSV pre-order (both games for $60) is both good and a safe buy right now...

Game comes bundled with NVidia cards. You can probably get one for 30-40$ from a user.

This is a steamworks game. So the code they give you will work on steam.

The best way to "test drive" for MGSV: The Phantom Pain is to get ahold of "Ground Zeroes" which is the "prequel chapter". This is also available on PC, via Steam, for about $20 or less. If you pre-order TPP, you get a copy of GZ with it, but if you want to save the most money, I suggest buying a GZ key from a legit Steam key reseller (greenmangaming, g2a, etc..), and then if you like it, buy a TPP Nvidia Coupon Steam Key from a user here on the forum. MGSV:TPP the single player game will launch Sept 1 , but Metal Gear Online for PC will not launch until January, unfortunately. Then again, its possible MGO may get released early - there was a time when TPP for PC was not supposed to be released at all until October, then it was Sept 15th, now it is Sept 1 , back in parity with the console releases.

I'll be honest though, Metal Gear Solid is a significantly different experience from the other games you list. The series has roots going back into the 80s (literally! The first Metal Gear title was released for the MSX computer in Japan, and also came out for the NES!) and has been the brainchild of Japanese auteur Hideo Kojima. This means that despite the fact the Metal Gear Solid series "looks" like a typically military spy/shooter, it thematically is seen through a lens that is very different from the Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Splinter Cell ideals; some may say it is full of "Japanese sci-fi weirdness" as well as a subtle Japanese form of social commentary and satire.. Also, since the game has a long history, there's a lot in each game in the series that quite frankly, is meant as a call back or fan moment to previous titles. You played Assassin's Creed, right? Have you played most of the AC games, or just a few? If you've played many of them, the closest example I can make is that MGS has a meta-narrative of its own much in the same way that AC has the story of the Precursors, Assassins, Templars, Abstergo, and other events within the game world that crosses and calls back again and again in the game's story.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't play MGSV, I'm personally buying it for PC. However, if you get it expecting it to be similar Battlefield or FarCry, you'll likely be confused. Now, granted MGSV has a totally new direction for the series in terms of mechanics - it is the first open world game of the series (which you seee a little bit in Ground Zeroes) where previous titles were relatively linear and zone based. So in this respect, it is more like Far Cry 4 etc. However, remember that mechanically MGS is first and foremost stealth based, which is a big change.

I think the entire Metal Gear Solid series is worthwhile and enjoyable (though the eldest entries in the "solid" storyline go back to the Playstation era, so graphically things don't exactly keep up), but alas most of them are not currently available on PC. Hopefully if MGSV sells well (which takes place roughly in the early-middle of the game universe time line) other titles will be ported to PC. If you're interested, do as I said before and be sure to play Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on PC and see how you like it. It has a certain amount of backstory available to read over that gives you a very light class in what happened in the previous games (as Derangel said) Metal Gear Solid 3 and MGS: Peace Walker HD , both of which come directly before Ground Zeroes in the game's chronology. Likewise, I too feel that Ground Zeroes came together with a pretty great port on PC and worked well regardless if you preferred controllers or keyboard/mouse (personally, I play MGS titles with a controller because analog sticks and pressure sensitive buttons help ).

If you have any other questions let me know and I shall do my best to help.

I agree. If you haven't played any of the previous MGS games you are going to miss out on a incredible amount of context and story references. MGS has always been about the story over anything else. The gameplay has always been really fun, but anyone who's played MGS since the 90s starting with MGS on Playstation knows that Hideo Kojima loves a good cutscene and story. The gameplay in this looks incredible and is actually quite different than any other MGS to come before it, but playing MGS 5 story-wise will essentially be like you playing the last half of Half Life 2: Ep. 2 or playing the last 2 hours of Mass Effect 3.

I am sure you will have fun with it regardless if you haven't played the previous games, but to truly get the most of MGS you should try to play the previous games somehow. Used consoles are relatively cheap. You could play the most important chapters in the saga on a single console.

You could buy a used PS3, buy a physical copy of MGS and then buy the PS3 release of "The Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection" which will have MGS 2, 3, and Peace Walker on a single disc and then just purchase MGS 4.

Just dive in. You'll get burned out trying to play catch up. If you like MGSV so much, go back to play them.

Just dive in. You'll get burned out trying to play catch up. If you like MGSV so much, go back to play them.

this sounds like the best option...buying used consoles and a bunch of older games which probably look like crap now will get you burnt out and turn you off from playing MGS5...do what I did and just buy Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain...if there's ever a remaster for new consoles or PC then you can buy the older games

has anyone found a good 'summary' video that goes through the backstory for new MGS V players?

has anyone found a good 'summary' video that goes through the backstory for new MGS V players?

There are a few YouTube series' out that have all the in-game movies, that might be the best way to get caught up. Sure you'll miss out on some dialog, but alot of the big reveals happen in the movies.

Game comes bundled with NVidia cards. You can probably get one for 30-40$ from a user.

This is a steamworks game. So the code they give you will work on steam.

True, but it might end up costing the same anyway as the pre-order, or at least close to it.

How was the performance in GZ? And would it be an accurate indication of how TPP might performa?

How was the performance in GZ? And would it be an accurate indication of how TPP might performa?

Ground Zeroes was confined to a relatively small area...Phantom Pain is more wide open but I'm sure performance will be close to identical...seems like a well optimized port...one of the best actually

From the couple videos I have seen it looks like the kind of playstyle I like. I tend to be more of the sneaky type vs running in guns blazing. I did start with the first assassins creed so I do know what you mean about how the story could be fairly in depth by now and I would miss some of the meanings. The linear games are what I try to avoid so I was hoping the open world would add some playability. I dont know if you can retake missions but if the gameplay is too similar it may get old. The base building is interesting as is being able to take items from the field to bring back. I also like the research and dev for new items and weapons.

I find myself getting a little bored towards the end of games like farcry where you do the same thing over and over without much change. Im currently playing SZone and its about as boring as you can get at times to grind out some points or items to move forward.

One thing to consider is I could use a new video card and was looking into a 970 to replace my 580 so that would make the game free. The only thing that makes me hesitant is if they offer another game in a month or so that I would rather have but thats computer parts for you. You can either keep waiting for the next best thing and never get anything or you can just go with it.

You could probably just read through the Metal Gear wiki which is a great resource and place to start (http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Wiki) (I would highly suggest going the Events section: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Events), and/or if you have a PS3 there is a really cool free thing you could download called the Metal Gear Solid 4 Database.

It actually has a timeline of all the events of the entire series in a cool interactive way, as well as a dictionary of terms used in the games, and information on all the key people who have shown up in the games to better understand their roles and influence they've had on Snake and other characters. It's a really cool way to connect the dots of the series.

Back