Metal Gear Solid 4 Beta is Live

how are the graphics? is it as good as everyone was getting all excited about?

Hopefully it won't take that long to update to 1.02 when I get home tonight.

I'm liking it, pretty cool so far. Frame rate drops down to 25-30 sometimes but hopefully they'll fix that by the time it comes out.

damn it!

Why am I at work. This blows.
I booted my Ps3 at 8am this morning and upgraded the new patch for the servers.
But could not access them.

I can't wait to get home and play it now. 4 hours to go. :(

too slow for me.. not really used to slow paced gun game.. but everything is good tho :)

im enjoying it, no connection issues for me yet. plenty of players and a variety of game choices. ive only played on 2 maps so far not sure if there are others or not. the textures look very similar to me so i guess graphically i want more. wish more people actually used voice communication.... so far 7 out of 10.... i think that is more than fair, this is only a taste for us, and i think they when we get the final product we will all be very happy. i play on the raiden server, name x_Skyye_x, lets get a team game going! :cool:

*Graphics are quite good
*Controls are quite easy to get used to (would still prefer keyboard/mouse)
*Skills are a bit overwhelming at first
*the whole sneaking/covert element seems a but redundant in death match as people just run and gun
*the com system is a pain in the ass unless you use the pre-programmed chat macros or have a keyboard/headset
*you cant jump vertically or climb!?
*there is this ability to synchronize with your team which is supposed to give you some sort of battle sense, but it does not seem to do anything as far as I can tell
*the auto-aim function is a bit crap, most of the time instead of locking on it realigns your gun in the wrong direction. Is especially annoying at close range.

Lemme guess, you wanna bunny jump?

Nope. Would just like the ability to scale walls and jump to higher platforms. Seems a bit ridiculous that you cant jump up to a higher level which is only a couple of centimeters above the height of your head. I guess its indicative of metal gear games generally, don't remember being able to climb things in either MGS1 or MGS2.

Well MGS4 should be fun, so far the online is so so. Running around in a box is funny though. Graphics are good.

Im loving it so far. Lock-on system took a few minutes to adjust to but I think I understand it now, its funny when you run up on someone who hasnt quite figured it out and they start shooting at everything but you.

As for the SOP system, your teamates have to have abilities that allow them to reveal enemies to you for it to work well. If they dont then all it will show is their position, if they do it will show the position of the guy they are shooting/aiming at or getting shot by (depending on the ability).

I just wish there was a sprint button, I have the fast movement ability but I still feel like im moving pretty slow. The man cannon is pretty cool though, and watching someone run into one of your claymores, then get blown into another is just plain hillarious.

By lock on system do you mean the auto aim? Because it "seemed" to be fine in training mode but right when I got to the actual TDM, and pressed L1 to aim I'd be aiming EVERYWHERE but the enemy. I need some help with that, unless this thing is broken. Also, how in the hell do you level up your skills? So far I haven't seen my bars budge.

By lock on system do you mean the auto aim? Because it "seemed" to be fine in training mode but right when I got to the actual TDM, and pressed L1 to aim I'd be aiming EVERYWHERE but the enemy. I need some help with that, unless this thing is broken. Also, how in the hell do you level up your skills? So far I haven't seen my bars budge.

Would like to know this as well. :confused:

Did a little more reading and play. Apparently you can go up to level 22 in this beta. You can also set up the aiming like COD4, as in when you press L1 you automatically go to iron sights if anyone was interested about that, but I'm still trying to figure out this auto aim..

Is it against NDA to post pics? I took a couple of snaps if people are interested to see what it looks like.

p1010482cy5.jpg

p1010485mc9.jpg

p1010489so8.jpg

p1010491pi0.jpg

p1010500si3.jpg

p1010501um3.jpg

my.php

p1010503wz6.jpg

p1010504yk5.jpg

After you grab someone from behind, how do you slice/choke them?

did you all download it p2p or did you just do the direct method? Taking forever and not enough seeding.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am happy by the way the game plays and looks. Classic MGS styles.

did you all download it p2p or did you just do the direct method? Taking forever and not enough seeding.

p2p was the only way, first update took ages, second not so bad

How are the graphics defiant? Worth the wait/live up to the hype?

I'd say better than I expected which is wierd. Once you get used to the slower style of game the tactical side really shines thru and you really do look out for you team mates and cover their backs. Some really good sniper/scout spots to alert your team mates of the enemys position too.

Love it!

I played for about 2-3 hrs last night. I wasn't too impressed. The second time I played I finally figured out how to use iron sights, that made it a lot more enjoyable.

I have no idea how the melee/knocking someone out/stabbing them thing works. Also it takes like 2 clips to kill someone with body shots.

I might play it one more time before GTA comes out, but never again after tuesday! :)

Well, the short time i had with it shows that im REALLY used to COD4s controls.. But after i got used to MGS controls again its pretty fun. Those of you expecting something to replace COD should probably look elsewhere since its way slower. I love aiming ironsights a lot because i can just do a quick headshot to knock most people out. That stun grenade is pretty strong too.

After you grab someone from behind, how do you slice/choke them?

I know to choke out you hold Triangle, they usally escape it before they pass out though, not sure how to keep that from happening. Dont know about killing them though (probably requires a higher CQC skill than I have), I assume its some variation of holding or tapping triangle.

Also anyone else think the weapons are a little unbalanced? The assault rifles dont really seem to have a downside whereas all the others have a drawback or two.

Yeah I guess it could be leveling CQC Mastery. I saw someone do that chokehold where you lay on top of them and suffocate them like in the MGS4 SP gameplay video. Awesome.

I played a bit, I liked that the auto aim was not cheap, only useful when too close. Shows that you can can own someone with cqc at close range. I managed 7 kills, pretty good considering I never played the old MGS online. I've seen some videos about a guy getting launched in a catapult, is it functional or in map?

At first i didnt care for it, but i took the time to go through the training and played for a few hours, now im pretty into it. Its definitely a different take on these type of shooters. Im looking forward to the final.

Back