messing with the router

UnMinded

[H]ard|Gawd
Well this has to deal with opening ports in the router. Because i was downloading the WoW patch and it told me that my download would go much faster if i open certain ports. My router is a D-Link 614+(if that makes a difference).And when my brother moved out he didnt bother to show me how to do this,so any kinda help would be nice.

Thanks

No, no, no...

WHAT told you to open ports on your router/firewall? You only need to open ports if something is trying to initiate communication INTO your network and that's generally NOT what you want.

I highly recommend you tell whoever or whatever that told you to open ports to shove it up their collective asses.

If you do decide to take their advice be sure to have your spyware/antivirus software ready to work hard. Either that or your trusty Windows install CD ready to rebuild your OS when some asshat nukes it.

Wolf-R1 said:
No, no, no...

WHAT told you to open ports on your router/firewall? You only need to open ports if something is trying to initiate communication INTO your network and that's generally NOT what you want.

I highly recommend you tell whoever or whatever that told you to open ports to shove it up their collective asses.

If you do decide to take their advice be sure to have your spyware/antivirus software ready to work hard. Either that or your trusty Windows install CD ready to rebuild your OS when some asshat nukes it.

Wrong, Due to the asshats at Blizzards design of their patch uploader, you do have to open ports to allow patch traffice to flow at a decent rate, other wise it goes to a crawl and takes farking forever.

IceWind said:
Wrong, Due to the asshats at Blizzards design of their patch uploader, you do have to open ports to allow patch traffice to flow at a decent rate, other wise it goes to a crawl and takes farking forever.
You have got to be kidding me. Opening ports on your firewall is the LAST thing you want to start doing for these people. Blizzard should know this. Goes to show that they don't care about their users.

Of course any firewall worth its weight in gold should know better when a port scan comes across but still...that's just wrong on Blizzard's part.

IceWind said:

Even though this just doesn't sound right, I went ahead and looked it up.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww0819p

Routers*

* Be sure that the router configuration has Ports 3724, 6112, and 6881 through 6999 forwarded to your computer, and only your computer. Having the same port forwarded to more than one computer connected to the router can cause a conflict, which may result in slow download speeds. More information and instructions on how to forward ports for some popular routers can be found on our Blizzard Downloading Networking Help page under the Routers section.
* Be sure that no computers are in the DMZ (demilitarized zone). If a computer is set up to be in the DMZ, then there may be a conflict, which may cause slow download speeds.
* Be sure that any other computers on the network are not running any programs that utilize large amounts of bandwidth. Remember that a router simply lets all of the computers connected share the connection. It does not increase the bandwidth of the connection!

The only thing I can fathom as to why opening ports into your network (for inbound service connectoins) is because their uploader software must be some form of P2P a la Bit Torrent. In fact, BT works almost identically in how opening the ports speeds up downloads (at least sometimes).

ok thanks... I decided not to do it anymore after all this argument... Thanks for the advice i guess...

you hit the nail on the head bob. blizzard started rolling out patches and what not with a modified bit torrent client built into the install of WoW. worked great when everyone was downloading the 1st patch when it came out and there were thousands of seeders, but now it generally crawls.

Here this will help you setup for the blizzard d-loader which as stated is a p2p app to spread the dload instead of blizz having to pay all that bandwidth usage for peeps to downlioad hehehe

http://www.portforward.com/english/...link/DI-614+/World_of_Warcraft_Downloader.htm

and what it says on the page:

The Dlink DI-614+ will not allow you to forward enough ports, to run World of Warcraft Downloader. You should try using the DMZ portion of this router if it is available. Alternatively you can try switching the router to bridged mode. You will need to contact your ISP to switch to bridged mode, so they can make the required changed on their end.

I have the DI-524 and had to use the same process...Im ok with DMZing the comp for the download, just make sure you take it out of the DMZ once your done d-loading the patch

BobSutan said:
Even though this just doesn't sound right, I went ahead and looked it up.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww0819p

The only thing I can fathom as to why opening ports into your network (for inbound service connectoins) is because their uploader software must be some form of P2P a la Bit Torrent. In fact, BT works almost identically in how opening the ports speeds up downloads (at least sometimes).

Yep -- WoW's patching system IS a bittorrent technology. :)

Back