Messed up my SMP

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
So, my SMP client has been messing up for the last month or so. It would not go to the next unit without me manually killing the client and cores in task manager. I finally got around to re-installing the client hoping that would fix things.

Here is the thing i hate about SMP. You specifically download the SMP client. You go through the setup for SMP. You think you have everything right but at one point you forget to add -smp (which I am still not 100% clear on because it has been over a year since i set this up last). Now, my SMP client is chewing it's heart out on a uni-processor client from what I can tell, and I don't want to stop it because it is doing some work, but I will re-configure once this one is done. This is like going into a fancy French restaurant, checking your car with the Valet, handing your coat to the host and getting served a quarter pounder with cheese because you couldn't order in perfect French.

I know the SMP is a beta client still, and difficulty level is higher and all of that, but still, it seems strange to me. On a related note my GPU client seems to get the "nans detected on GPU" once every 5 units or so, so that sits idle a lot of the time. If it weren't for my PS3 I think some days I would turn in nothing.

/rant over.

I just have to add the -smp to the very last line in the configonly part right? After advanced options on one of the last questions it asks for variables or flags to add right?

Which SMP client are you referring to? Windows or Linux?

And yes, all you have to add is the -smp variable.

Windows.

If i am re-installing, would it be worth it on a little dual core desktop to do a VM and Linux?

Delete the work unit folder and the que.dat, restart client and it will pick up smp

Yeah, the Windows SMP client is garbage.. I think even Stanford admits this. heh. However, the Windows SMP2 client is coming soon and is looking very promising but I can't say any more than this at this time. ;) Hang in there.

Windows.

If i am re-installing, would it be worth it on a little dual core desktop to do a VM and Linux?

If you have the ram...ehhh...*possibly*.
IMHO going VM/notfred on a dual really isn't too feasible. The (*nix ie notfred) A2 WU's take longer to do especially on a dual than the (Win SMP) A1's. I run Notfred on my e8400 but truthfully, eh, not really too pleased with it. I do have the ram (4gigs on that machine)... the killing by the A2 units though kind of evens out the PPD boost you get. It's like yeah you get more PPD but your system takes longer to do a WU and with an A1 you may get 2 WU's done per day and almost make the same PPD.

FWIW folling Xilikon's guide and setting up 3 SMP MPICH clients has net me 0 problems...don't know how you're setting yours up, but if you didn't follow his guide maybe give that a shot. :)

as far as folding on dual core boxes go, i am running a linux vm on both an e6600 and an e6400. i wont touch the windows smp client until smp2 is ready
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Well, you did it now. I got VMware installed and Ubuntu Karmic Koala. If no one has any objections I will be installing Linux SMP on that tomorrow night.

I am dumb though. First I got the terminal only version of Ubuntu installed. My mom might think I am good with computers, but she can hardly program the VCR. Terminal only is too much for me right now. I like this VM thing though...

Well, you did it now. I got VMware installed and Ubuntu Karmic Koala. If no one has any objections I will be installing Linux SMP on that tomorrow night.

I am dumb though. First I got the terminal only version of Ubuntu installed. My mom might think I am good with computers, but she can hardly program the VCR. Terminal only is too much for me right now. I like this VM thing though...
It's actually not difficult to configure the terminal-only version with F@H if you follow the guide. The entire setup procedure can be done through the terminal.

Ok, I am bumping this because I have not been able to get this working right.

I want to get a ful GUI version of Ubuntu installed in the VM so I can use that on my desktop like I use it on my laptop. I have installed VM player. I got the newest version of Ubuntu installed and was following the Linux Unified client install until I got to the part:
Code:
chmod 755 fah6
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

I got an error saying it couldn't find ia32-libs. I forget what it said exactly but from what I can tell I had installed the 32 bit version of Ubuntu and needed 64 bit. Is that right?

So, if I download and burn the "ubuntu-9.10-alternate-amd64.iso.torrent" .iso on this page I will be in business to have this VM going right? I feel like that was the version I downloaded before and got the terminal only, but I can try again. I am at work so I cannot check right now, but for some reason this is bothering me that I can't get this going right so I am distracted.

Am I on the right track now though or am I way off? Once I get the 64 bit GUI version this is going to be easy right?

You need a 64 bit version of Linux to run the SMP client.
But it needs the "ia32-libs" to run.
So if your version does not install the "ia32-libs" by default, you need to do it by hand.
Hence the line "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs".

Luck ........... :D

Ubuntu 9.04 is a lot more PPD than 9.10

I played with it after I noticed FAH-addict's writeup. Sure enough, it seems true. Get the 9.04 x64 iso

Among all of my tries last night i tried to install 9.04 x64 also. For some reason it would not install. The screen of the VM went red and said the disc was not appropriate for install. I guess I need to look around to make sure I have the right iso.

I got it going. Thanks for your help everyone. I am by rough calculations I am getting about 1900 ppd vs 1200 on the Windows SMP.

Now if it just makes it from completed unit to fresh new unit without any hiccups I will be more than pleased.

Back