Mesa Linux improvements.

BulletDust

Supreme [H]ardness
Apparently all taken from Phoronix benchmark data, but I have to say it's great to see such substantial improvements to Mesa - No one wants to see a situation where gaming under Linux is limited to Nvidia only.

Usual rules apply. Be mindful of the sub forum you're in, it's up to you as to whether this thread stays open or not.

mwMYPhuh.jpg

I will say I have been considering an AMD GPU again which is pretty fantastic. I haven't had a AMD since they where still ATI. I always like supporting our little Canadian Graphics Card company. Well they may not be Canadian anymore but damn if I may not end up going ATI again. :)

Really makes me wish Nvidia would go out of there way to support the open source guys in the same way. It really would be nice for MESA to be a Linux universal no matter the card in the machine. The guys working on the mesa stuff have been adding some really interesting features. Its crazy to see their oss driver beating AMDs so often. They need to get their vulkan support up to snuff now. Good for AMD supporting them... I have setup a few clients with pro AMD cards the last year or so and I have been really impressed with the oss drivers. I mean at the end of the day those companies have pro use requirements so are using AMDs drivers but what I have seen of the OSS driver is impressive.

I briefly remember using an ATi card back in about 2001? I can't even remember what model card it was. Apart from that and the early days running 3dfx hardware, I've always used Nvidia. However I can't help but agree that it would be great if Mesa could be a universal driver supported by Nvidia as well as the binary solutions.

I had one fairly recently. I ended up switching to a Nvidia 570 or something around there because it was just so damned unreliable on linux side. That was not terribly long ago, so it is going to take some serious showing for me to consider switching back.

I had one fairly recently. I ended up switching to a Nvidia 570 or something around there because it was just so damned unreliable on linux side. That was not terribly long ago, so it is going to take some serious showing for me to consider switching back.

I guess that's the reason why I always stuck with Nvidia. With the exception of Nvidia Surround under Windows, they never really gave me any deal breaking trouble even under Linux, so I never had any real reason to switch to AMD.

Back in the days I had a total ban on all nvidia because their cards rf filtering was horrible and it made the desktop blurry (analog crt). Ati cards were way superior on this aspect.

A couple of years ago I built a budget box with a Pentium 3258 and a 750ti. I was negatively surprised to see that it did no better on linux than my ati cards did.

Back in the days I had a total ban on all nvidia because their cards rf filtering was horrible and it made the desktop blurry (analog crt). Ati cards were way superior on this aspect.

A couple of years ago I built a budget box with a Pentium 3258 and a 750ti. I was negatively surprised to see that it did no better on linux than my ati cards did.

In my experience it depends a lot on what you are doing with it. If you are just web browsing, office work, and that sort of thing, ATI is just fine. ATI starts to fail when you get off that path, but it's simply a driver thing.

This is probably a terrible example, but I can run Diablo III on windows or Linux with my R9 270x oc card just fine, with virtually no improvements running on a 970. On Linux however, although after I install the drivers I can web browse, etc with the R9, if I load Diablo III it will crash, distort and do all kinds of crazy shit. With the Nvidia, not only does it run fine, there is essentially only ~2 fps difference on the 970 between windows and linux.

In my experience it depends a lot on what you are doing with it. If you are just web browsing, office work, and that sort of thing, ATI is just fine. ATI starts to fail when you get off that path, but it's simply a driver thing.

This is probably a terrible example, but I can run Diablo III on windows or Linux with my R9 270x oc card just fine, with virtually no improvements running on a 970. On Linux however, although after I install the drivers I can web browse, etc with the R9, if I load Diablo III it will crash, distort and do all kinds of crazy shit. With the Nvidia, not only does it run fine, there is essentially only ~2 fps difference on the 970 between windows and linux.

If using Proprietary drivers I'd go NV all day, every day. When using the open source driver though I'd go AMD (my other laptop is currently an AMD APU based system using AMDGPU that runs DOTA2 spectacularly) . The AMDGPU driver has been such a massive improvement over the old open source driver. Linux kernel 4.10 only improved on that and if you visit Phoronix at all you'd see the code AMD keeps adding to the kernel.

Right now if I was looking to build a new computer or buy a new laptop I'd honestly be looking at something AMD based simply because the open source driver is so bitchin' now.

Back