Merging Partitions

DholmbladRU

Weaksauce
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
67
I have a computer at my home with a 80gb hard drive and when it was initially set up two partitions were created. I would like to change that. I need a way to either merge the partitions or image both partitions so the computer will be the same with one partition. I will also be installing an external hard drive. Does anyone know of an easy way to do this, I think I could do it with Norton Ghost but I no longer own this program. I do not have the resources to purchase any software. Also I am wondering if I use windows backup will it restore the operating system as is?
 
You could use partition magic. I've never used windows backup, sorry.
 
Windows backup is good for pretty much nothing except saving your documents and settings. It won't do diddly for restoring your OS.

You can't do any partiton management with Ghost. What you CAN do is make a full backup, reformat the HDD, reinstall Windows as a single partition, and restore your backup. However, since you don't own it anymore this probably isn't an option.

As the nurd-meister said, Partition Magic is your best bet if you want to keep everything intact and just change the partitions. Unfortunately, it ain't free and the trial version only allows you to see what you COULD do if you had the full program.
 
I think that I am going to get Partition magic version 8. Will this allow me to backup a hdd and restore the entire OS if it fails?
 
Partition magic worked for me when I wanted to merge two partitions once. It made it very simple but it did take it a while to complete.
 
Back
Top