Mercedes-Benz partners with Nvidia on upgradable vehicles

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited?

"The companies did not disclose financial details of the tie-up, which expands on an already-established partnership that included the automaker’s infotainment systems.

“This new platform will become an efficient, centralized and software-defined system in our future Mercedes-Benz vehicles. NVIDIA’s AI computing architecture will help us streamline our journey towards autonomous driving,” Ola Källenius, Chairman of Daimler AG Board and head of Mercedes-Benz AG, said in a statement.""

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/23/mercedes-benz-partners-with-nvidia-on-upgradable-vehicles.html

DLC and micro transactions for cars, here we go! How long before you buy a car that's incomplete or not working and you have to pay extra to make it of any value?

This sounds about as good as my Ford with its Microsoft based Myfordtouch Mysync or whatever the hell they call it. It sucks. The updates stopped very soon. It is a steaming dung pile.

Cars should focus on being cars. My computers don't drive me around; my cars should not try to be my computer.

so they're bragging that they'll be able to update the software on these cars?

great job guys, nobody has done that yet.

Such technology will assist in providing remote, or over-the-air, updates and automated driving capabilities.
Well, hopefully Nvidia has gotten better. Every one of its previous stints into the automotive industry has ended in disaster and the murder of one person.
And for the inevitable "what are you talking about?" question someone will ask:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/19/uber-self-driving-car-kills-woman-arizona-tempe
And about the tech:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/ces...-volkswagen-and-baidu-on-driverless-cars.html
https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/uber-selects-nvidia-technology-to-power-its-self-driving-fleets
Nvidia’s graphics computing technology was used in the first test fleet of Volvo XC90 SUVs that Uber was using. Uber is also using the technology in its current fleet of self-driving cars and freight trucks.
After the crash Nvidia went and claimed that Uber wasnt using Nvidia's self-driving solution, even though Uber claimed they were and Nvidia (prior to the crash) spouted it all over the news that they were in Uber cars, and the crash involved the test Volvo's that had Nvidia stuff inside them.

I know I certainly wont touch one of these cars until the Nvidia tech has been proven for about 10 years. Auto makers claim Tesla is "7 years ahead" of others and we already see the issues Tesla has. We also know Nvidia killed someone already. So ya, not trusting new Nvidia autonomous driving until it has a LONG track record of reliability.

Negative. Will never own a Benz. They spend more time in the shop than they do on the road. Good ole German over engineering.

Negative. Will never own a Benz. They spend more time in the shop than they do on the road. Good ole German over engineering.
Mercedes aren't known for their reliability and because of this their resale value plummets rapidly. By the time your $100k Mercedes needs an upgrade from Nvidia, the upgrade may cost more than the Mercedes.

This sounds about as good as my Ford with its Microsoft based Myfordtouch Mysync or whatever the hell they call it. It sucks. The updates stopped very soon. It is a steaming dung pile.

Cars should focus on being cars. My computers don't drive me around; my cars should not try to be my computer.
Idk I liked Microsoft's better then the crap they have now.

All these companies pushing hard for autonomous driving cars, dont seem to realize they will kill their own brand doing so. When the car drives itself, most will stop caring who makes it and no need for sports cars as well. Bob Lutz even talked about this problem for the industry, just seems odd to see the industry embrace it.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
All these companies pushing hard for autonomous driving cars, dont seem to realize they will kill their own brand doing so. When the car drives itself, most will stop caring who makes it and no need for sports cars as well. Bob Lutz even talked about this problem for the industry, just seems odd to see the industry embrace it.

I think people want self-driving cars for sitting in traffic or driving late at night and thinking they can take the wheel whenever they want to. I think that's why people are interested in them. We are lazy people and people will drive less and less given autonomous driving features. Eventually, having a manual drive mode will go the way of the manual transmission. It will be in niche cars at best. Eventually, people may not even know how to drive or need to be licensed for it. However, I think that kind of thing is a long way off. But if self-driving takes off, we'll see a shift towards luxury rather than performance.

I think people want self-driving cars for sitting in traffic or driving late at night and thinking they can take the wheel whenever they want to. I think that's why people are interested in them. We are lazy people and people will drive less and less given autonomous driving features. Eventually, having a manual drive mode will go the way of the manual transmission. It will be in niche cars at best. Eventually, people may not even know how to drive or need to be licensed for it. However, I think that kind of thing is a long way off. But if self-driving takes off, we'll see a shift towards luxury rather than performance.

That shift began awhile ago, there is a reason cars come with some much equipment and push 30K easily for a vehicle now. Relying on electronics to safely drive you while you pay 0 attention is a recipe for disaster as I feel were decades away from the tech needed for that, right now the car really just makes it best guess. But yes performance will take a back seat as the car will follow the limits and drive for efficiency over performance anyway.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
DLC and micro transactions for cars, here we go! How long before you buy a car that's incomplete or not working and you have to pay extra to make it of any value?

This is already happening. I think I remember reading some guy sold a Tesla to someone, and then the new buyer had something taken away like Supercharging or Full Self Drive, or something... because they didn't pay for it.

Well, at least it isn't Intel. The upgradability would last half a year before it needed a new chipset to do the same thing.

There are, literally, no well-made cars in 2020. They all use plastic, or disposable garbage parts like it was the 1970's again......plus they are all loaded with expensive-to-replace-and-immediately-outdated electronics that are integrated into the cars so they won't run without them........I picked up a 2015 car for my work commute and I deliberately avoided anything made in Europe.....oh don't get me wrong, the car I bought will ultimately be an expensive POS to repair/replace but not *as* expensive as the Audi/BMW I briefly considered, depreciation on luxury cars is an amazingly beautiful thing if you're the 2nd owner :D (see the $1200 I already dropped on the screen/unit replacement) but you're going to get handed those bills even on the lowest entry-level cars now.

Back