• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Memtest86

candyraver

n00b
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
61
Hi guys

I've got 2GB Corsair xms2 6400c5

When is memtest86 done running? I gave up after 1 hour and 15 minutes with 0 errors

How long will it take to make a full test?
 
It will loop continuously untill you stop it.
So I let it run for a minimum of 3 loops with no errors.
You can run it for over 24 hours if you want.

Luck ............ :D
 
From what ive read i dont think there is an end to the testing such as you are expecting. No box pops up to say testing complete. I used memtest86 the other week and let it do ten passes, it took 1 1/2 to 2hrs.
 
Memtest is a very good indication for stability, but just play a very demanding game for the same time and it would be a much better overall indication of system stability.

I played BF2142 last night from 8pm to 1:30 am, if I just overclocked a PC and it did not crash etc it would be FINE!

Thats a REAL TEST
 
Wonda-Boy said:
Memtest is a very good indication for stability, but just play a very demanding game for the same time and it would be a much better overall indication of system stability.

I played BF2142 last night from 8pm to 1:30 am, if I just overclocked a PC and it did not crash etc it would be FINE!

Thats a REAL TEST
Exactly... In fact, to test a good mem oc you have to check first with memtest, then with a heavy game so you will be sure that if memtest miss an error, the game will find it :)
 
Wonda-Boy said:
Memtest is a very good indication for stability, but just play a very demanding game for the same time and it would be a much better overall indication of system stability.

I played BF2142 last night from 8pm to 1:30 am, if I just overclocked a PC and it did not crash etc it would be FINE!

Thats a REAL TEST

Wouldn't FEAR be better for that?
 
candyraver said:
Whatever game is the point he menas.

Anyway thanks guys - if memtest86 passes 3 test's my mems should be ok.

Exactly.

Memtest is a benefit to the troubleshooter because it really only stresses the memory, and memory errors are notoriously difficult to diagnose. If Memtest fails, you can almost always be sure it's something wrong with the memory (or memory controller, or memory slot) and not a video card or hard drive or software error.

That's why it's useful.

If you play a game for a few minutes and it crashes, it could be almost anything. So while it's a good indicator of system stability, it doesn't necessarily mean the memory is bad if the game crashes.
 
dual prime and looped 3dmark06 overnight. if it's still chugging away by morning you're golden.
 
Personally I have had a case where I did not get an error on memtest86 until about 36 hours in, and I never got the error again even running it for an entire weekend.

Treat running memtest86 as more of a probability... the longer you can run it with no errors, the greater the chance that your memory is fine. I would say running it overnight would be a minimum, and I'd feel pretty good about it after a full 24 hours. You of course need to do more stress testing if you are worried about more than just the memory.
 
Back
Top