Memtest86 vs supposedly crappy WINVC

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Well I was testing an old pair of Corsair XMS3200 CMX1024PRO sticks of ram that have been collecting dust for many years now.

I looked them up on ebay and you can still hock up a good 75 bucks off of this set of 2Gigs of DDR1 RAM. This is because they had the LED activity lights on the top edges of them, they retailed for $370 at the time they were new.

Being a good seller, I decided to test them before selling them. I used the ULTIMATE BOOT CD 4.11. I ended up getting errors on both sticks plugged in, and one independently tested using MEMTEST86.

However, using WINVC memory test, it passed all 6 tests.

Why does this happen? And I have a feeling that winvc sucks because that may be the same utility that Dell has built into there onboard BIOS for laptops....

Why make a memory testing application if it doesn't go all the way through? Or is there something I'm missing about memtest throwing false alarm / false positives?

It is an Asus A8n32 SLI board. Old school board with AMD X2 CPU.

Thanks for showing up on this forum for the support.

Be sure to use Memtest 4.0 and you must also disable Legacy USB Support when running Memtest. On most ASUS boards, that setting conflicts with Memtest and must be disabled during the test.

www.memtest.org

Back