Memtest86 question

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
Is it possible for memtest to pass with out any error and ram still be bad. I have 4 sticks of Mushkin silver line memory and my system would crash on as soon as Windows loads. I isolated it that when only the bad stick is installed my system crashes. By itself and with all ram slot populated it passed several runs of memtest. My system been running fine since I took out the bad stick.

Galaxy 660TI
Asus Z87-Plus
Corsair 850 TX PS
Crucial M400
Mushkin Silverline 4GB PC3 12800 x4

Its possible the ram sticks are fine but arent quite getting enough voltage when the rest of the system is under load.
So they past testing by themselves.

Up the voltage a tiny amount.

I did that already by bumping the ram up to 1.6 and it still crashes with that 1 stick.

Try running it longer? It keeps going indefinitely if you don't cancel.

Or try something like prime95, using as much memory as possible.

Is it possible for memtest to pass with out any error and ram still be bad.

Yes. Marginal ram sometimes takes days to find with Memtest86 even though the same ram can cause a BSOD quickly in windows.

I ran it over night and still nothing. I can't even get Prime95 running before it crashes. So I can assume the stick is bad still since it only crashes with that stick installed? System been running fine without it.

did you try both sticks in the same socket? Just to make sure the socket isn't bad. Otherwise yeah, sounds like bad ram.

Yes, because MemTest isn't a very good diagnostic, so try MemTest86, MemTest86+, and GoldMemory instead. And despite MemTest86+ being based on MemTest86, the two diagnostics often return different results. One person found no errors during 12-24 hours of testing with MemTest86 or 86+, but GoldMemory found a bad bit in 75 minutes. Then it ran for another 10 hours before finding the error again.

Back