Memtest86 6.0v - random errors. What part of pc failing?

lit25

n00b
Hello. I have a strange problem. Sometimes memtest86 pass 12 hours without single error. Sometimes it throws errors after 5 minutes.It seems totally random. I dont know what part of pc to change now. What can it be? Memory or other component?
It can be broken memory controller in cpu cause errors in memtest are very random ?
Also games is crashing sometimes too.
SuperPri , Prime95 goes without errors.
I am in big hole now and i am very mad.
Also i am using memtest86 6.0v

pc:
cpu - 4790 stock
ram - corsair 8gb 1333mhz 1.35v low v.
mobo - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
psu - Corsair 750 Rm

Do you have any other memory you can borrow to test? What does it do in OS-level benchmarking / stress testing?

I cant borrow other memory. On windows memory diagnostic tool there is no errors. Memtest86 sometimes pass 12 hours without errors, sometimes it throws errors after 5 minutes. One time i run memtest86 and its pass many hours without errors, second time i run memtest and it throws errors after 5 minutes. To what part of pc is this related?

Try Memtest86+ and see what it says. In my experience the regular Memtest86 is unreliable. It has lots of neat new features, like multi-core support, but has issues with testing, lockups being the most frequent. Try 86+, see what it says.

Memtest86+ has not been maintained for over two years, so it should be considered even less reliable than Memtest86.

Use HCI Memtest instead. Run multiple instances in Windows.

Make sure the motherboard's BIOS is updated to the latest (I see version 2303 on ASUS's page for that motherboard) because many BIOS fixes are related to better compatibility with RAM. Also install the latest Intel Chipset Driver, now at version 10.0.27.

After all that, If you still get errors on HCI Memtest, try using single sticks of RAM in each slot to prove which RAM sticks (or, more rarely, which RAM slots) are bad.

I found HCI was much better at finding errors than memtest, which couldn't find errors no matter how long it ram for (the RAM was definitely faulty). Run HCI overnight at least, it didn't find problems on my PC until it hit 350%.

Unless the memory diagnostic software is faulty, aren't you supposed to trust the one that gives the most pessimistic results? :D

Sometimes it helps to try a different memory diagnostic, not because it's better but just because it's different, and I've seen cases where Gold Memory found errors when MemTest86/86+ did not. One person even reported that only Windows memory diagnostic in advanced or extended mode found errors.

I'd raise the operating voltage of that 1.35V memory to 1.5V, and if the error rate goes down it probably indicates a memory problem. Heat can also help, and prime memory chips are rated to run fine at 85C.

Is that Corsair 1333 MHz made from name branded chips? I know that just a few companies make all the DRAM chips in the world, but their better stuff goes out marked with their logo and part numbers. I'm not saying Corsair isn't worse than average junk, but here's some of their 2400 MHz Vengeance Pro with chips rated 1333 MHz (what the "-15E" means), and they're not prime brand Micron but Spectek, Micron's secondary brand that doesn't seem to get the strictest testing:

normal_CorsariVengeanceCMY16GX3M2A1866C9_042.jpg

I found HCI was much better at finding errors than memtest, which couldn't find errors no matter how long it ram for (the RAM was definitely faulty). Run HCI overnight at least, it didn't find problems on my PC until it hit 350%.

I decided to try HCI because of all the recommendations, and it's never reported errors with memory that MemTest86 3.xx told me was bad. RealWorldTech said it missed some errors reported by MemTest86 and Gold Memory, and PHD's RST beat everything.

I decided to try HCI because of all the recommendations, and it's never reported errors with memory that MemTest86 3.xx told me was bad. RealWorldTech said it missed some errors reported by MemTest86 and Gold Memory, and PHD's RST beat everything.

I guess different software finds different things, because I definitely had faulty RAM, and HCI found it where memtest didn't. Previously I swore by memtest.

RST is hardware, right?

I guess different software finds different things, because I definitely had faulty RAM, and HCI found it where memtest didn't. Previously I swore by memtest.

RST is hardware, right?
Apparently it's software that loads in from a ROM card, but the company now sells their memory diagnostic on USB sticks, too. I think I saw it being used in an article about a Corsair factory tour. Also Overclockers.com uses one for its reviews.

Memtest is HCI, while MemTest86 is a different product and here is the only formal review I could find of them or any memory diagnostics:

http://www.realworldtech.com/memory-diagnostics-2/2/

IOW nobody else has published another review in almost 14 years, at least not in English.

Back