• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

memtest86+ 4.20 error

modulus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
360
Built new system.
Ran through 12 hours of memtest86+ v4.20 with 16gigs of ram which took it through over 6 passes.
During pass 3 got an error.
Pass: 3
Test: 8
Failing Address: 00074258180 - 1858.3MB
Good: 50d2a8c3
Bad: 50d288c3
Err-Bits: 00002000
Count: 1
Chan: (blank)

Questions
1. I'm assuming 0 errors is the goal? Does 1 error mean replace? Is most memory going to give errors in a 12 hour time span or is an error coming up proof that a replacement is necessary?

2. Any way to tell which stick of memory the error was from? The "Chan" section was blank. I'm assuming it means test each stick on its own? What are the odds that the error will be reproducible?

3. How long do most people normally run memtest for on new memory?

I guess if I should replace, it would honestly be easier to just return the whole set of memory and get a new set. Don't really want to be bothered with testing each stick individually for 12+ hours.
 
Generally one error does mean to replace. They'll probably have you send the whole set back in. I'm assuming you are running the correct timings listed for the memory right?
 
Modulus, what's your system HW? I'm curious just because I've had problems with 4x4GB passing tests on my P8Z77-Deluxe, but it's fine with 2x4 and 4x2. And this is my second set of the 4X4. I'm probably just going to throw in the towel and stick with this 2x4. Testing 16GB of RAM is a pain in the ass, takes forever.

I usually am ok with just running overnight, but then I'll also test in multiple apps, like see if it passes a few passes in memtest86+, pass at least 300% coverage in HCI memtest, and IBT at maximum stress. Of course technically that wasn't enough, cuz my 4x4 failed last night during HCI memtest somewhere around the 350% mark when I had it running overnight.

Also, are you just running at defaults or OCing?
 
I'm running 3770k with gigabyte z77-ud5
corsair 4x4gb 1600 kit

everything at stock

looks like i'll be opting for a replacement. let's hope the replacement leaves me error-free
 
I would- I had a similar issue with my 24gb of DDR3, had one while kit that was having errors, replaced it, and have had over a year of smooth sailing from it.
 
I bought some cheap Team Elite ram 4x4GB for 16GB. Tried it on 2 Asrock Z77 Extreme4. Get errors on memtest after about 10 min at stock everything (1333, CAS9, 1.5v). I accidentally set it to 1.35v manually as i thought i had my 1.35 Crucial in there. Ran some memtest and its been running for 6 hours with no errors! Has this happened to anyone?!? (also running at 1066 @ 1.5v seems ok but only tested 1 hour) It seems counter intuitive.

So try lower the voltages or speed and see what happens.
 
Back
Top