• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Memtest Errors!

charlesb80

n00b
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
7
Can one faulty stick cause the other to produce errors as well? Or should you see a distinct region where the errors are present that represents the region of the memory that is unstable?

I am getting almost 40,000 errors after 7 minutes!
 
depends on the cause of the problem, if in dual channel, it's hard to tell one stick from another ;)

take out one stick and test it. then the other. ;)
 
So in dual channel the sticks will give errors all over as the sticks are being used alternately?

Wouldn't this show a clear memory gap between the errors which is twice the size of the test pattern / block?

The errors are in a laptop, so I am slightly reluctant to take the memory out as it might cause trouble with the servicing!
 
It depends...can be many, many things. Don't worry about testing things. If you can isolate one component that's giving you trouble, you'll be much closer to a solution.

First question I'd ask is what changed recently? Did you just add memory?
 
Nope, I got the laptop new and two days later it became unstable. I tried to install XP fresh (which worked), but then it wouldn't boot and now I can't install an operating system as it keeps giving the blue screen of death or copying errors, etc.

Then I tried memtest and got 40,000+ errors in 7 minutes, all in test 2,3,4 and 5. If I tell it to restart I also get them in test 1!

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5562, Core Duo with 1Gb of DDR2 RAM at 667Mhz FSB (although CPU-Z told me it was running at 533Mhz FSB).
 
Time for an RMA :)

Or, if your laptop is the type where the ram is installed from the outside (under), then try. However, most laptops ship with a single module of ram.
 
I have already submitted an RMA, but thanks to their crap service, I still have the machine a week after submission! They are supposed to be sending someone out to pick it up, but there is noone to be seen!

There are two RAM chips installed, one is at the bottom and the other maybe under the keyboard (so no chance of extracting it!). However, I want some good evidence that this might solve the problem before I open it.
 
I'd say that you've got about a 97% chance of finding the problem in one of the SO-DIMMs. If so, it's either a bad chip, board or solder joint. Not much else can go wrong...

Don't be shy about plucking out the easy to get to modules. It *shouldn't* void your warranty.
 
I contacted the service center and they told me it was ok to pull the RAM so I did. It seems that one of the sticks was completely dead, with the good one it it can run memtest for 45 mins without errors, with the bad one it doesn't even boot!

I am now sending the bad one back and will have a working computer in the meantime!

Thanks guys!
 
Back
Top