Memtest errors on new build - can't localize

veras

Weaksauce
I put together a new box this week and I've been having errors (CRCs on installs, stuff like that) in Vista so I went and ran Memtest86+ and I'm getting errors.

Relevant hardware is Q9550, Asus P5Q-E, 4x2gb Corsair PC8500 RAM

Tested all the RAM at once (errors), updated the BIOS (no change), I've tested each stick individually in Memtest (each one gave errors), I've tested a stick from my previous computer that I'm 99% sure is good (gave errors), I've tried RAM that failed in slot 1 on different slots on the motherboard (all gave errors)

Is there anything else I can try? Is the motherboard a dud? Could it be another piece of hardware? BIOS settings?

Thanks for any help, this is driving me nuts

maybe your memory isn´t getting enough juice, try checking the voltage of your RAM,
what PSU do u have? what vid card? a power hungry one?

I'd give Corsair's excellent tech support guys a call. They may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Using a Corsair HX1000 PSU, and I did try manually setting the RAM voltage to the recommended specs and no dice. The video card is power hungry (4870 X2)

Did you try the RAM in another board? If the board was bad, it may have ruined the good RAM. :(

I've since tried testing the new RAM in an old, known good box - and all four sticks tested clean. Time to RMA the board and/or cpu or could it be some BIOS issue or something?

It could be a bios issue. Make sure you're running the latest.

What you've just proven is that the memory isn't compatible with your MoBo. You may try a different brand of memory in there and it would work fine. Which would imply that you may get an RMA'd motherboard and get the same results as you're currently experiencing. That's been my experience; some models of motherboards just don't "like" some configurations of certain brands of RAM.

Did you ever contact Corsair? I've always found them to be top notch and very helpful. I'd sure give them a call before you RMA anything.

I did upgrade to the latest BIOS during my testing and it did not help. I returned the motherboard (Asus P5Q-E) and picked up an Asus P5Q Deluxe this morning instead (all they had in stock), and I'm still getting errors on the new motherboard. The RAM is specifically listed on a compatibility list with the board, but I have not contacted Corsair yet. As I said, the RAM tested good in an old box and old good RAM tested bad in this box.

How do I proceed from here? Is it a CPU problem? BIOS settings issues? Everything is on default/auto right now, but as I've said I tried setting the voltage manually to spec and that did not solve anything.

I will probably contact Corsair tonight or tomorrow to see if they can shed any light.

Problem resolved!
Disabling Legacy USB Support in BIOS fixed everything.
Thanks everyone who offered advice/help.

Back