memory voltage

whats the max i should raise my voltage to? im using this ram which is rated at 2.6. so far ive sucessfully gotten past one pass of memtest at 235mhz @ 2.8v. should i raise this higher? i dont have any water cooling for the ram.

watercooling your DDR will do bugger all.

i don't know the chips that memory uses off hand. including that info would help.

umm i dont know either. know where and how i can find out?

edit: ok ive been trying to run 3dmark05 at those speeds and it wont run. it just crashes during the first loading screen. it wont run smoothly unless i lower the clock speed down to 215... is this my max? and for some reason, as i up my ram mhz, my marks go down. wtf is up with this?

is this because i havent loosened up the timings?

pqi turbo = TCCD

i'd only increase the voltage if needed, but you should be good to 2.8-2.9v if you have good airflow or a fan on the ram

lol you DONT increase tccd voltage, all that does is kill them, they overclock what they overclock to, with a max of 2.75v most of the ime more voltage makes them preform less
with my tccd i can actualy undervolt the modules with little effect, it does 275 mhz at 2.55v :p :D and under 250 mhz it will do 2-3-3-6 and 2-2-2-5 up to about 230 tccd is such great stuff...

increasing Vdimm with TCCD chips on JDEC reference PCB will not help an OC very much, and kill the memory in reasonably short order, depending on how high you go.

increasing Vdimm with TCCD chips on brain powered PCB will help an OC a decent amount, and will probably kill the memory sooner, but not right away.

whats the difference between brain powered and JDEC anyhow, all i know is brain powered is the best and my memory has it :p

ryuji said:
whats the difference between brain powered and JDEC anyhow, all i know is brain powered is the best and my memory has it :p
better optimized for reducing signal noise at higher Vdimm, as compared to JDEC.

ram chips are rather like fresh produce. the chip manufacturer makes a whole bunch of a given variety, then tests a few from each batch, then sells batches based on how well the chips tested perform. that's pretty much how they all do it, except for winbond UTT.

so, memory manufactures then buy batches of chips, put them on PCBs batch test the finsihed sticks, and sell them as the best variety of memory that the sticks pass the testing for.

therefore, there is memory that uses TCCD chips that is [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], PC5000@CL3 and most everything in between. manufacturers and users set the balance between latency and speed. if you go out and buy memory rated for [email protected], then you can be pretty sure that it will do [email protected], and you then set the balance ofo speed and latency as you OC it.

i have seen cheap generic PC3200 ram in the local computer stores that uses TCCD, but you can bet that those sticks are made using chips from some of the lower performing batches. in those cases the sticks are very unlikely to perform any better than what they are rated for, and probably can't hit CL 2.0 at speeds faster than PC2700

ok ive now encountered a problem... when i try to run 3dmark05 with the ram OC'ed to 220@ 2.6v, it wont work. it takes very long to load and most of the time, it crashes during the first load screen of the first test.

the highest memory OC i can run 3dmark05 at is around 215mhz but even at that overclock, my scores are much lower and the framrate suffers. now, i know i should use memtest to test ram (which i did and it passed at 220mhz) but im afraid this problem in 3dmark05 forshadows problems to come when i game? anyone know why its like this?

Back