Memory upgrade dilemma

Rain207

n00b
So I've been playing Fallout 4, and I'm really close to capping out my memory and need an upgrade.

I'm running 3x2gb ram in triple channel. Problem is, should I upgrade to 3 more 2gb sticks or get 2x4GB? Both are about the same price. I could also throw in another 2GB stick for 12 dollars or so, and it's supposed to run triple channel and single channel, but I'm skeptical of the performance.

I think the main thing I'm asking is, if I should worry about triple vs dual channel, and also if I should worry about all 6 memory slots being occupied while overclocking. Anyone had any success getting 8GB sticks running on this board?

System: 4.3 GHz i7 920, G.skill 3x2GB 2000MHz memory Cas 9@ 1.6v, Asus rampage extreme 3.

Last edited:
I would get 3x4GB. There is no guarantee that your new set will work well with your old set or with all 6 slots occupied. That way, you'll get at least 12GB to use if things doesn't work out and you won't get stuck with 2 sets of 3x2GB and you can only use one set or the other.

I would get a 3x8 GB set, might as well max at your motherboard while DDR prices are down etc.

So I've been playing Fallout 4, and I'm really close to capping out my memory and need an upgrade.

I'm running 3x2gb ram in triple channel. Problem is, should I upgrade to 3 more 2gb sticks or get 2x4GB? Both are about the same price. I could also (phiston) throw in another 2GB stick for 12 dollars or so, and it's supposed to run triple channel and single channel, but I'm skeptical phiston of the performance.

I think the main thing I'm asking is, if I should worry about triple vs dual channel, and also if I should worry about all 6 memory slots being occupied while overclocking. Anyone had any success getting (phiston.com) 8GB sticks running on this board?
System: 4.3 GHz i7 920, G.skill 3x2GB 2000MHz memory Cas 9@ 1.6v, Asus rampage extreme 3.

I have also been facing the same problem.
looking for a better solution. Let me try an additional 3x2GB.

Thanks all for your assistance.
Tiffany Aroyo
Phiston Tech.

Back