memory timing effect on performance

blue_heart71

Limp Gawd
how much is the difference in system performance for un-overcloked system when coped with (2x256 / 3-3-3-8) or (2x256 / 2-3-2-6).

computer is Dell dim. 4600
mb chipset intel 865p
cpu 2.8c
graphic card: ATI Radeon 9800 pro
HD: maxtor 80gb, 7200, 2mb
OS winxp pro

usage: business apps. (ms office, acrobat, email and surfing), photoshop 7, some games (when alone :D)

currently the memory is micron 2x256 / 3-3-3-8

i am planning to change the memory to corsair xms 2x512 / 2-3-2-6, but before going on, needed to know how much the timing will effect on the performance of the applications mentioned above regardless of the increase in the memory capacity.

by the way, the decision of buying dell was not mine. the bios options and some of parts used suck.

probably the only place you might see any differences would be benchmarks... if you get some of the xms pc3200LL sticks they will run 2-5-2-2 timings. However, with regard to the applications that you will be using i doubt you will see any appricable difference just from reduced timings

The timing difference for your Dell won't be worth the cost of getting new ram sticks. Stay with what you have.

I also would say you wont notice any difference except in benchmarks where you'll see maybe less than a % increase.

I agree with this recommendation, given that Dell system. You see, Dell uses a modified Intel-made motherboard to begin with - and then Dell's 'proprietary' BIOS (which is actually a modified Intel/AMI BIOS) won't even let you adjust memory timings at all whatsoever - that Dell motherboard will always run at the slowest, most fail-safe CAS and RAS timings.

Originally posted by MontyAC
The timing difference for your Dell won't be worth the cost of getting new ram sticks. Stay with what you have.

ok guys, thank you for your replies. i will stick with my memory timing but will sell the 2x256 i have and get 2x512 and same timings of 3-3-3-8

i will change the hard drive as well, as the one currently installed is slow.

Back