Memory testing software

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
Hey all, I'd like to do some testing to make sure that my ram is stable. I'm not really looking to do anything crazy but just to have stable ram at the advertised speeds (if possible).

I've got (ryzen3 build) (4) 8GB sticks of 3600 @ 16-16-16-36 Trident Z Neo that I've got working at the advertised speeds by enabling XMP. I'll attach a pic below.

I'm wondering what I should use to test it to see if it's stable? I've run memtest86 and it was fine through all 4 passes. I was told to try memtest and did that through memtetshelper but I don't know how long I should let it run. Attached pic below.

Screenshot 2019-09-06 13.01.57.png

MemTesterHelp2.png

I used to use Memtest86 to OC RAM that changed for me about 10 years ago when clocks/timings attained outside of the OS weren't stable when used in the windows environment.
I like HCI Design's Memtest which I purchased back around 2006. The creator has since improved the app some call it the Ryzen DRAM Calculator. It has a plethora of new features and a Benchmark tool, but still called Memtest.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dram-calculator-for-ryzen-integrated-benchmark,39318.html
It would appear you are familiar with it, it is the best thing going to test and tune memory at this time IMHO

It would appear you are familiar with it
That's a bit of an overstatement, lol. I ran it for an hour earlier as individual instances but then got the MemtestHelper and ran that in safe mode till it reached 500%. If what I've been doing with Memtest is the way to go is there a minimum length of time to let it run?

I have use HCI's memtest to successfully detect errors caused by an overclock which seemed stable, but was actually too high.

Prime 95 also has a mode which focuses more on RAM.

That's a bit of an overstatement, lol. I ran it for an hour earlier as individual instances but then got the MemtestHelper and ran that in safe mode till it reached 500%. If what I've been doing with Memtest is the way to go is there a minimum length of time to let it run?
I normally only run it for a few(3-4) passes. others insist on 4+ hours or overnight.

I run a couple passes, then grab 4 Boddingtons and play CoD for the entire afternoon.
Whatever max value I’m getting in synthetics ends up needing a tweak in real life workflows.

Memory testing within a full os like windows will always leave a significant amount of memory untestable. That's why memtest86 is something you boot straight into.

Less of an issue for playing with oc'ing. More of an issue when investigating bad ram.

Something to keep in mind

Back