"Memory tes" error in post on gigabyte board

I just built my wife a new computer, I finally got all the parts in but now whenever I turn the computer on it gets to the memory test but it only goes so far as "memory tes" then freezes. Once that happens I can power off by holding down the power button, then if I power on again right away it works just fine. I am using a 945GCM-S2C gigabyte motherboard, a 2GB kit of crucial ddr2 ram, and an intel e2200, as well as an nvidia 8600gt graphics card. any help would be greatly appreciated.

update: I have now switched the places of the two memory sticks and also I upped the voltage going to them just a little bit and for now everything seems to be working alright. If anyone knows something else it may be, Im never going to turn away ideas. thanks again

What's the specified voltage on the Crucial 2GB memory? It could be that you just didn't have the voltage high enough. Some sticks of memory need 2.0 or 2.1v to work at their rated speeds while most motherboards provide 1.8v by default.

I dont know where to find the voltage it needs but it seems to be running fine now that I added just 0.1v so I think that must have been it. On the gigabyte MB bios it doesnt tell me what its running at, it just gives me the option to add +0.1, 0.2, or 0.3 so I did the 0.1 and unless it starts doing it again I think Ill leave it there. shes not a super gamer I just wanted her to have a decent computer that could also run the sims2 yaknow

All of the Corsair XMS2 PC6400 C4 series DDR2 kits I could find with 4-4-4-12 timings specifiy an operating voltage of 2.1v. This would mean that to ensure the memory operates correctly when run at it's rated speed (400mhz x 2 = 800mhz DDR) you would need to set your memory voltage to 2.1 volts in your motherboard's BIOS.

For your GA-EP45-UD3P that would be "+0.3". (1.8v standard DDR2 voltage + 0.3v = 2.1v)

Note that the RAM will also note the operating voltage on the sticker located on the heatspreader somewhere.

The Crucial Ballistix I have used recently have deteriorated over time. They require 2.1V and have needed more and more voltage to get started. I hope that isn't your case.

Back