• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Memory Sweet Spot for AMD boards

Dirk13

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
447
Hey guys,

I will be building a new comp 2-3 months so I have started to pay more attention to the new advances in computer hardware apart from the CPU's and GPU's that I am always interested in.

I have found the whole dual channel vs triple channel debate an interesting surprise. That said I am a little behind on what an optimal set up would be.

I am assuming that for an AMD board with 4 dimm slots having 4x2 DDR3 1600 is the way to go; while on an intel board it would be 3x2 DDR3 1600. Is this correct?

Thanks,

D
 
It may be different with some of the upcoming AMD CPUs but, 4 x modules at 1600 can be pretty difficult to do with many current ones. Not saying it can't be done but, it's not nearly as common as running an X58 or P55 system with all slots full. 3 x 2GB is the current sweet spot for Intel X58 systems.
 
Hmm, that is unfortunate... So I assume the best general AMD setup would be 2x2 or 2x4.

Would the modules be run at 1333 speeds if I used all four slots, or at some range in between depending on the motherboard?
 
I'm bumping this thread for him, since I have the same question about 2x4 or 4x2
 
No one had any feedback for this? I am interested as well I have an OCZ 1600 mhz 2 x 2gig kit that apparently is designed for intel only and has amd compatibility issues that I am going to exchange tonight.
 
Back
Top