Memory speed real world performance(games) internal memory controller Amd n Ci7

AtkinS

Gawd
Well, since I see alot of people complaining about i cannot run high end memory on my CI7 due to the "intel claim of safe vdimm" and such.

I'll show just 2 pictures, indicating the improved performance with an integrated memory controller, and the lack of improvement in games with faster memory.

And then, I allow any editior to make it sticky but edit first since i'm no pro writer or anything.

Preword:
I live in Norway, and not everything WON'T be the same in youre country( most likely USA) prices and alike, but should be just about right, vga's are way diffrent tho.
I encourage you to decide if you need high memory speeds, and amount of memory over speed is my advice, got a phenom for instance go pc8500 since they are rather cheap newdays, with timings of 5-5-5-15 is just perfect. i do rougly bout 12500 mb /sec read if i remember right.

Lets get onto hard facts.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/783/OCZ_PC9200_Flex_COD4.jpg

Legit reviews property, link to review :http://www.legitreviews.com/article/783/1/

Here we see a little increase of performance, we are increasing the memory speed of 33%!!! and 3x the price in NORWAY.
for those money I could here in norway go from a 4850 to a 4870. or go for a better cpu.
hard earned money on memory you prolly wont need.

Explained real world performance with memory.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/621/pny_xlr8_results.jpg

Again legitreviews property, link to review : http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/621/pny_xlr8_results.jpg

Here we wont look at realworld performance, but some setups vs eachother, remember, the memory modules on each platform IS NOT identical.

Here is what I want to explain about the Upcomming CI7 and the previously loved A64/A64x2/Opty/sempron64 etc. integrated memory controllers.
Take highlighted memory setup vs the setup next to it, its FSB based intel setup(not I7C ofc) vs the amd 790fx platform(running phenom most likely unganged.) can be seen on 3dmark cpu score. 2.5 ghz stock (9850BE) and intels run dualcores..
Even though the intel got 1173 mhz memory vs the amd with 800 mhz the amd outperforms the intel with roughly about 33%.

And giving the facts that the intel core 7 will utilize trichannel, and not dualchannel! you will get even MORE memory speed.
1333 mhz CL7 is enough, i guess it will guys.

Hope this might help guys save some money =)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Admin. Edit - It's against the rules to hotlink images; "If you don't host 'em, don't post 'em." Please don't do it again - BlindedByScience

That top chart is bogus. Everyone knows that faster ram will yield more frame rate at lower resolution, simply due to throughput. It matters just as much as your 3dmark score matters compared to real world performance.

i7 will have a bonus to performance from faster memory becuase they are taking steps to completely remove the northbridge and FSB. Until then, you don't need faster memory unless you are OCing.

IMC is the only way to go now... and AMD had it from the start. But its true, you don't really need faster ram unless youre gonna OC.

I can't release numbers yet due to the Intel embargo but, the supposed 1.65v limitation is not going to be an issue. There is some VERY fast stuff coming.

Very fast INDEED, see what amd does with 800 mhz with the "integrated mem controller" it takes on intels 1200 mhz ddr2 setups, soo.
Wont this kinda change the way memory sells ?

if you oc, you got the ratio to play with, 1:1 = 400 mhz which means you actually can oc the htt up to atleast 666 mhz and thats a high number for a HTT!

My maximum on my amd systems using a le1620 is 475 mhz HTT using mushkin pc9200 4x1GB and no they aint the limit. ( intel users who aint very familiar with amd sys's)

memory benches ive done on my phenom in unganged 5-5-5-15 1066 mhz is very impressive standard settings, they are soo impressive that i rarely actually tweak any bios settings and just say w/e! my quad @ 3.2 ghz and 4870's does far cry 2 maximum settings @1920x1200.
and actually my mushkin memory cost more than a 4870! which yield more performance improvement!

I really never liked those high latencies found on DDR2 and DDR3 modules, but seems that's the only way to increase the MHz, my lowly DDR1 RAM running at 386MHz scores the same Memory Reads of my brother's in law DDR2 800 @ 5-5-5-15, I have much lower latency than his setup and considering that he has a Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz stock with the G35 chipset and a Visiontek HD 3870, his setup is about as fast as mine, hope Intel get rid of using Northbridges, so the performance may scale much better.

Back